Visit to Henk van der Hoeven -- Apogee Acoustics Re-builder/Restorer

Apogee's can be rebuilt to various levels of performance either here or by our Installer-associates using our ribbon parts and classic installation techniques, OR ABSOLUTELY ALL NEW metal chassis Apogee's can be built here in Australia to order for delivery world-wide...

List of Installers;-

http://www.apogeeacoustics.com/installers.html

Some Installers have preferred rebuild options that extend beyond what would have been considered standard when originally manufactured, and not all options from one Installer will be the same as another. Most Installers have traded original speakers that can be restored for people who do not have original Apogee's.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Apogee's can be rebuilt to various levels of performance either here or by our Installer-associates using our ribbon parts and classic installation techniques, OR ABSOLUTELY ALL NEW metal chassis Apogee's can be built here in Australia to order for delivery world-wide...

List of Installers;-

http://www.apogeeacoustics.com/installers.html

Some Installers have preferred rebuild options that extend beyond what would have been considered standard when originally manufactured, and not all options from one Installer will be the same as another. Most Installers have traded original speakers that can be restored for people who do not have original Apogee's.

Hi Graz
Nice to see you here :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Just re-reading this thread...who are the key players out there in producing fully rebuilt Apogee Full Ranges in 'as new' condition?
- John Oakey in the UK
- Henk van der Hoeven in Benelux?
- Anyone else?

And for those who are familiar Alsyvox...it seems their 2 speakers (Botticelli or Caravaggio) sit on either side of the scale of the Full Ranges? The Full Range is 2.0m tall and 1.0m wide...the Botticelli is 1.77m by 0.64m wide. Of course, the Caravaggio is 2m tall but 1.38m wide because it is 4 panels (2 + 2).
Nice to see this thread revived :cool:
There is also Frank Ferlesch from Hifiburg in Switzerland.

Do you feel the itch to own Apogees?

nirvanadream

Dec 30, 2019
Hello, just to know , if somebody had try to use a pair of Full Range with an add Full range bass panel more.
, and the same experience with Diva.
In the same way than the Alsyvox Caravaggio for big rooms
with by best wishes

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I don't think many people ever opted for the extra bass panels with Full Range. It was never an option with Divas.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hello, just to know , if somebody had try to use a pair of Full Range with an add Full range bass panel more.
, and the same experience with Diva.
In the same way than the Alsyvox Caravaggio for big rooms
with by best wishes
The Full Range speakers have detachable midrange and tweeter segments, so two Full Range speakers could certainly be used this way, with one being used for added panel bass only and the midrange/tweeter segment put aside. I am not sure they could be used as true subwoofers, but a user probably would not know the difference because Apogee bass is sublime. They would also operate in the bass with lower excursions for high volume levels, which would be nice, too.

The big Analysis Audio speakers also have separate bass only panels. My Analysis Audio Epsilon bass panel is a competent crossover-less full range driver, too, and sometimes for simplicity or testing, I use it that way.

Alsyvox have magnets on both sides of the ribbons, are much more efficient, and have a different ribbon type than Apogees, so it would not be a direct comparison.

• Haha
Reactions: tennisod
I have a client's speakers here now that were supplied as part of a FR Quad panel powered by Krell's. In it's day this would certainly have been up there as the best system available anywhere I would say. The thing with the Full Range is the design requires serious informed consideration in a rebuild, the set I have here now looked fine with grills on until all was removed for the evaluation strip-down - only the MRTW, side pods and stands passed the basic original parts tests.

All Installers have their own take on a Full Range rebuild - as do I. I have a new FR design under way at present actually...

Earlier this year I completed the new Diva Encore E9 metal chassis speaker, a sort of dream take on the original format. See below, height is just under 2m;-

qld audio 01.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Graz,

The new speakers look amazing!

But I’m confused. I thought these last few years you’ve been working on the Definitive prototype and trying to get that design into production?

Dear Graz,

The new speakers look amazing!

But I’m confused. I thought these last few years you’ve been working on the Definitive prototype and trying to get that design into production?

Hello Ron!

Definitive was a fun project back in 2004, a high efficiency concept design to explore metal chassis formats.

The silver speakers above are Diva (Encore) E9's, a metal chassis design. They can be made new to order, or a person with existing Divas can have (depending on a parts assessment) an E9 style restoration using the MRTW frames from the existing Divas, and as they use the original Diva ribbon topology they can chose to run the original crossover if that appeals. Height is 1930mm. Very heavy.

I am working on the final stages of crossover for the new Apogee Acoustics Diva Advance 9, a metal chassis, split construction bass/mr+tw format 2m high speaker. All ribbons are a new format in this speaker. Efficiency = medium. Also very heavy, but with much more manageable installation. Compared to the E9 a little more dynamic rise, better mid projection. Enjoyable so far, more to do on the xover, such a slow process due to part run-in times! Simulation only takes you so far. On release they will be available with optional secondary bass panels for people with larger rooms.

Take care - Graz

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
BTW Graz that Duetta crossover design I sent you a while back has stood the test of time now.

At least with my pair the frequency response is exceptionally flat from 500Hz upwards. I am convinced the values used are markedly better than the original Apogee effort.

Now driven with a Luxman M-800A and C-800F, this combination is the best of some 30 odd amps I have tried. These amps are outstanding Duetta drivers.

The Luxman pre allows bi-amping so I still use the 211 monoblocks to drive the MRTW when I feel like it. It blends surprisingly well with the M-800A on bass.

Looking at the Diva pic above, have you clamped the MR and TW ribbons from both sides on the pivot points? I was thinking that might be a great thing to do for a long time now.

Last edited:

nirvanadream

Dec 30, 2019
Thank you for your answers,
All my best wishes for this new year, and all my encouragement Gratz for these new developments,
I'll be following the progress

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just PMed you his phone number

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
Thank you!
Regarding apogee, which model would you advise as a starting point? Diva is nice and can surely be called an endgame speaker but would cost a fortune to get fixed (and I assume without service they ALL have problems with foam rot?)
I see a pair of Duetta Signatures for 2250 listed in the Netherlands and a pair of Diva's for 5700 in Germany. My 4-pack Emitter II amp should have enough juice for every model but I'd rather not buy buy a 'project' speaker.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What's your room size

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thank you!
Regarding apogee, which model would you advise as a starting point? Diva is nice and can surely be called an endgame speaker but would cost a fortune to get fixed (and I assume without service they ALL have problems with foam rot?)
I see a pair of Duetta Signatures for 2250 listed in the Netherlands and a pair of Diva's for 5700 in Germany. My 4-pack Emitter II amp should have enough juice for every model but I'd rather not buy buy a 'project' speaker.

Henk has all models at hand atm except for Duettas. I would NOT buy a ruin and rather contact Henk directly and have him make you YOUR personal Apogee :cool:

Good advice from Christoph. Generally people progress through the Apogee's, once in the fold with restored speakers very few leave. Because of this Installers often have the smaller ones on hand. You are correct about the foam rot, but this is actually a plus with the old speakers, as restored speakers always outperform original ones as the ribbon parts are considerably better, and Installer procedures for restoration improve the speaker across the board from when new. Room size is important - all Apogee panels like to breathe, and like symmetry on the front wall, ideally not blocked with a high stack of kit for perfect function.

Buying - unless they have had a recent restoration it's better to buy lower and rebuild to a plan. Several have sent me speakers that were way below par, overpriced and all but the metalwork needed replacing. If you can, reach out to Apogee owners of restored speakers to experience what they can do, if there are ones you are considering that Henk hasn't got on hand. Where are you based?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don't buy one oversized for the room. Also scintilla is the size of duetta and imo much better, as it has much better bass and a pure ribbon. I think after Henk's grands, his scintilla which Christoph owned is the most musical apogee, the full ranges are great but tough to tame and require a big space.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I'd be interested to hear Graz's thoughts on Scintilla versus Duetta Sig.

Sure other forum members would to.

Graz?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing