Vitus SM-103 Monos

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
prefer the Dart integrated to the SIA 25 too?

I didn't do a direct compare, but did one with Berning quadrature. They are just different. Also in some amp compares had the stereo without class A, lower model. It was pretty poor, both that and the integrated doesn't sound like Vitus. Yes Vitus has a flowing sound, like a better version of pass labs

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I didn't do a direct compare, but did one with Berning quadrature. They are just different. Also in some amp compares had the stereo without class A, lower model. It was pretty poor, both that and the integrated doesn't sound like Vitus. Yes Vitus has a flowing sound, like a better version of pass labs
thanks, at some point I'll hear the SIA-25 vs my LTAs. my issue with Vitus is the poor value - stereo class A amp for $42k, etc. So it's a long shot to begin with.

the Westminster Labs interest me and I'll be interested in the comparison here - although with Magico, I'm betting Vitus wins. on Fyne could be quite different.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
thanks, at some point I'll hear the SIA-25 vs my LTAs. my issue with Vitus is the poor value - stereo class A amp for $42k, etc. So it's a long shot to begin with.

the Westminster Labs interest me and I'll be interested in the comparison here - although with Magico, I'm betting Vitus wins. on Fyne could be quite different.

Yeah almost no hifi now is price to value unless you have an integrated low watt SET into bespoke speakers with a restored TD 124 or Garrard and SPU

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Yeah i wish i could see a video of such a system.

Keith you tested the low power gryphon class A didnt you ?
my initial audition was on the Essence, but hard to say as that wasn't in my own room and was 2 years ago while I was demoing speakers. i preferred it much to Pass, but that's all I can say.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I'm a happy new owner of Vitus SIA-025 Mk2 replacing a Diablo 300.
The 025 is the second best SS integrated i've ever heard just behind the Audionet Humboldt that i also demoed.
As a future upgrade i might use the SIA-025 as a linestage and add a pair of Monos.
Very interested to read about the SM-103.

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Our new Vitus SM-103s are ordered. :)

Reactions: John T and dan31

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Reactions: John T and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Huge congratulations! When do they arrive?

Hopefully around the first week of September. They will need time to break in, so …

Reactions: John T

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Does this mean you ultimately decided on them over the Westminster Labs REI amps? Curious as to your thoughts on the comparison. TIA

Thanks.It was an overall difficult decision. As you know at this level selecting an amp, or any other component, is a matter of personal choice. It’s not necessarily a good, better or best choice as they are all exceptional, but what pleases the end listener the most. Since all of us having different hearing abilities, it’s all very subjective.

We demoed a host of other amps - Boulder, Burmester, EMM, Gryphon, Luxman, Pass - to name just a few. Most of the companies we desired to try disappointingly didn’t offer an in-home demo. So, I listened to many of the amps at friend’s homes on their systems. While not optimum for deciding upon a personal amp choice for our room, these were really some enjoyable times. Each amp was excellent in its own unique way. But they were different as well. To me personally some offered too much detail while not having enough soul, others were too dark, etc. They just weren’t for me, but my friends are smitten by them. And that’s great!

Since you singled out the REIs, I’d say they are absolutely amazing. I personally preferred them over all the other amps I mentioned above. I’d suggest that anyone who is thinking about upgrading their amps to contact Gary and demo a set.

Ultimately (and it was close), for us the Vitus offered more musical nuisances in the sound which we really enjoyed. The Vitus made everything sound so natural. It draws you into the music. My write up on the VA RI-101 Mk II expresses what I heard. And it added another layer of goodness since I wrote that brief review. And our demo was only a Class A/B Int, not Class A monos! So, for our listening tastes, we believe the Vitus (in Class A) will be more enjoyable for our needs.

Last edited:

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Just to make sure I've got it right: You ordered the 103 Monos without having heard them because you liked the integrated amplifier so much?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Just to make sure I've got it right: You ordered the 103 Monos without having heard them because you liked the integrated amplifier so much?

Yes that’s right. As circumstances would have it that is my only option. Vitus doesn’t presently have any Class A amps for home eval. And because of my wife’s present medical issues (cancer), I can’t travel much and definitely not very long distances for any evaluations ... I’m not even allowed to fly because of my own health issues and don’t drive because of my eyes …. Getting old isn’t always fun (but most of it is) …

The VA 101s have given me a good sense of what Vitus offers and its synergy with my other gear. It’s a sound I don’t want to be without. Vitus is paired all the time with Magicos. I’ve also spoken to others that presently own or have owned Vitus. I have no doubt that the 103s will sound excellent. And soon I shall be able to confirm it with a set of my own. If not, in time they will go up for sale. But more than likely in time I’ll upgrade to the Vitus Masterpiece series.

Reactions: gds7368

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
The upgrade from the RI100 to the RI101-mk1 is focused on the pre stage: tech transfer from the SL-103. The upgrade from the RI101-mk1 to mk2 is focused on the output stage: tech transfer from the SIA30. If you have appreciate the RI101-mk2 I am sure that you will be happy with the SM-103. As I told you that you may have to buy the SL-103. If you have to change of pre, you have already tested the compatibility with your sources with the SL-103.

I have heard once the SS-103 with magico S5-mk1, the pre was a Koda 15ex and the source was Wadax Atlantis system few years ago. That works pretty well but as you said it is a matter of taste.
Yes that’s right. As circumstances would have it that is my only option. Vitus doesn’t presently have any Class A amps for home eval. And because of my wife’s present medical issues (cancer), I can’t travel much and definitely not very long distances for any evaluations ... I’m not even allowed to fly because of my own health issues and don’t drive because of my eyes …. Getting old isn’t always fun (but most of it is) …

The VA 101s have given me a good sense of what Vitus offers and its synergy with my other gear. It’s a sound I don’t want to be without. Vitus is paired all the time with Magicos. I’ve also spoken to others that presently own or have owned Vitus. I have no doubt that the 103s will sound excellent. And soon I shall be able to confirm it with a set of my own. If not, in time they will go up for sale. But more than likely in time I’ll upgrade to the Vitus Masterpiece series.

Last edited:
Reactions: John T and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The upgrade from the RI100 to the RI101-mk1 is focused on the pre stage: tech transfer from the SL-103. The upgrade from the RI101-mk1 to mk2 is focused on the output stage: tech transfer from the SIA30. If you have appreciate the RI101-mk2 I am sure that you will be happy with the SM-103. As I told you that you may have to buy the SL-103. But you have already tested the compatibility with your sources.

I have heard once the SS-103 with magico S5-mk1, the pre was a Koda 15ex and the source was Wadax Atlantis system few years ago. That works pretty well but as you said it is a matter of taste.

Many thanks. This is great news. Over time we may be upgrading our speakers as well - Alysvox, Estelon, and few others are on the listen list. However, this is dependent on whether we build the new room or not and when we are back to the point of driving some longer distances for auditions. If not I can be content with what we already own. After the new amps settle in I’ll be experimenting with the complete Vitus Master Series of components as well (Transport, DAC, Pre, Phono).

Thanks again. Your post was very helpful.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
@Verdier: When I bought my Gryphon Mephisto I didn't have the opportunity to bring one home to demo. I listened at a friend of friends house. A Gryphon but not a Mephisto. Not my speakers, nor any other of my components in the guys system. Typically most audio companies have a sonic signature, or presentation/delivery. If you have played around long enough in this audio world and do your homework, you know what floats your boat. Its called audio intuition. I would BET those 103's will work extremely well in 99% of all systems. Also, if you presented those 103's to 99% of Audiophiles blindly, they would gladly give up what they have and accept the offer. Those are once in a lifetime amps...To further my point, I have a Lampizator Horizon on order, I have never heard any Lampizator DAC in my life...

Last edited:

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
What is the MSRP of SM-103 and the stereo version SS-103. Any idea how different is SM-103 from old SM-101s. I have heard very good things about people who used SM-101s.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
What is the MSRP of SM-103 and the stereo version SS-103. Any idea how different is SM-103 from old SM-101s. I have heard very good things about people who used SM-101s.

The SS-103 is app 45k and the SM-103 app 70k in the U.S. The differences are petty substantial even between the SM-102s and the SM-103s. Here’s an article. I’m not sure about the SS differences, but there is more power and a better soundstage with the SM at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaChiK

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Reactions: rubinken and Audire

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
The SS-103 is app 45k and the SM-103 app 70k in the U.S. The differences are petty substantial even between the SM-102s and the SM-103s. Here’s an article. I’m not sure about the SS differences, but there is more power and a better soundstage with the SM at least.
Thanks. I am sure you will love the new amps. Keep us posted.

Reactions: rubinken and Audire

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing