Rhapsody.Audio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Obviously, no Canadians in that room.

Reactions: velcro22 and Bobvin

battles

Dec 11, 2011
MSB fans always try to find the reason to debase Wadax but they forget Wadax Ref Dac is only higher than MSB Select II about $15k. MSB is about $130k for full options and Wadax is about $145k. The rate difference is maximum 10-15%.

Please don't talk about the preamp, cables or racks. If you use MSB, you still should use the preamp to make full use of the potentials of your system.

Don't concern yourself with the level of MSB and Wadax currently; accept it and move on to more productive pursuits.
Who’s debasing Wadax? I was making the salient point that the differential in cost between owning an MSB Select and Wadax for many is not $40K unless one already owns a caliber of preamp (and requisite cables, cords, isolation etc) that will not impede the performance of the Wadax. I’m certainly not debating that the Wadax excels in qualities that the MSB Select does not, but it should since it’s cost of ownership is significantly more ($105K vs $140K b/for taxes) and an additional $80-100K if the prospective buyer does not own a reference preamp or is starting from scratch and would be satisfied with MSB’s passive preamp. I’m certainly not suggesting how anyone on the forum should spend their money, but believe it’s only fair to highlight that we not comparing two components with the same “out the door” cost of ownership.

Reactions: Alpinist

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Wow are we all teenagers here? I have never understood how if one person doesn't like something people act like they lost a kidney. This notion of MSB vs. Wadax or Extreme vs. anything else is way overdone. Buy the product you like and be happy.
Here in Brazil we say that the difference between a kid and a grown up man are the prices of their toys

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Better is only for Mike to tell. The answer will be specific to his system too. But if ask general public, I think it is all depend on the sound of 'the whole' system. Say we have Mike's system with Wadax, Howie's Goble system with Lampi. And another system YG with MSB. Play the same song same track. A good number of people may pick one of these three in possibly equal distribution because we prefer things differently. So the big price differential justified? For Mike it is justified because he hear the Wadax sound better than his previous Lampi and MSB in his system. But people who pick Howie's sound will be puzzling why spend so much more when they think Howie's sound is better than Mike's. And some may like the sound of MSB in that YG more than Howie's. Personally I do not think that at the very top level there is a source component that is super great to the level determining the sound of the whole system. So when people go listen toWadax at Mike's, they actually appreciate how great the sound from his system rather than from a piece of gear in the chain.

Mike you must not feel so at ease they way people participate this thread as if they were Liverpool fans vs Man United fans. :)
Even I wouldn't choose my system. I prefer Ked's.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Preferring Ked's system is like being in an episode of Black Mirror, or Inside No. 9

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Pilium Elektra and APL DSD-MR SE
Both top class DAC.
Br
Rainer
Hi Rainer!

very interesting your comments.
I am a very happy owner of APL DSD-MR SE DAC. So far the most analog like dac I had the chance to listen.
Would you please comment about the differences on the two dacs (Wavax and APL) on DSD files? I am always delighted on DSD here.

Kawero

Jan 24, 2022
Pilium Elektra and APL DSD-MR SE

Hi Rainer!

very interesting your comments.
I am a very happy owner of APL DSD-MR SE DAC. So far the most analog like dac I had the chance to listen.
Would you please comment about the differences on the two dacs (Wavax and APL) on DSD files? I am always delighted on DSD here.
This is not my thread. I will not disturb Mike‘s thread here.
Br
Rainer

Reactions: Scott Naylor

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Br
Rainer
Fair enough. Sorry Mike!

Would you care to comment at the right place?

thanks!

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Who’s debasing Wadax? I was making the salient point that the differential in cost between owning an MSB Select and Wadax for many is not $40K unless one already owns a caliber of preamp (and requisite cables, cords, isolation etc) that will not impede the performance of the Wadax. I’m certainly not debating that the Wadax excels in qualities that the MSB Select does not, but it should since it’s cost of ownership is significantly more ($105K vs $140K b/for taxes) and an additional $80-100K if the prospective buyer does not own a reference preamp or is starting from scratch and would be satisfied with MSB’s passive preamp. I’m certainly not suggesting how anyone on the forum should spend their money, but believe it’s only fair to highlight that we not comparing two components with the same “out the door” cost of ownership.
I only see you are trying to say the cost in Wadax is too higher than MSB. Even it is double the price. However, you never understand that if people want to make full use of the potentials of their system, they have to use the separate preamp although they have MSB.

If you owned MSB Select II but you did not use a separate preamp, let's find one.

I would like to say again that the rate difference is maximum 10-15% between Wadax and MSB. You should accept the fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuyB

Kawero

Jan 24, 2022
I only see you are trying to say the cost in Wadax is too higher than MSB. Even it is double the price. However, you never understand that if people want to make full use of the potentials of their system, they have to use the separate preamp although they have MSB.

If you owned MSB Selaect II but you did not use a separate preamp, let's find one.

I would like to say again that the rate difference is maximum 10-15% between Wadax and MSB. You should accept the fact.
I thought this forum is named what’s best and not what dac has a volume control.
Br

Rainer

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Br
Rainer

If it's a wadax compare it is relevant to this wadax thread

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
To hear the Wadax REF system at it’s best you need to install RevOPods under it.
I did test Revs years ago and didn’t like it under my Wadax Atlantis Server. They have a lot of impact. Too much dampened sound.
I like more isolation than dampening.
The stock ones are more expressive and musical to my taste.
I know there are a lot of Wadax users who use them with great results….but it believe they will work better in high resolving systems.
Roy Gregory review:

Last edited:

battles

Dec 11, 2011

If you owned MSB Selaect II but you did not use a separate preamp, let's find one.

Fair enough, Steve. I have no dog in the hunt here. I’m just an enthusiast and not involved in the trade. Just wish every time I opened my checkbook to acquire a new piece of audiophile gear, it wasn’t a multiple of $10,000.

Reactions: lordcloud

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
Reactions: hogen

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
To hear the Wadax REF system at it’s best you need to install RevOPods under it.
ok, i give up. :rolleyes: in for a pound, in for a.........

tried to optimize the Wadax without buying these, but caved in today and ordered 6 sets of 4. "Black Chrome"...see below...which i assume is the black anodized body with the chrome ring.

the challenge is that with 8 footers under the dac and server, it's necessary to both level and equalize weight for proper decoupling. and....having enough space to actually adjust the footer too. there are plenty of quality footers to choose from, but not many that tic all these boxes, and that multiple reviews have endorsed enthusiastically with these products specifically.

will have them in about a week to 10 days. i'll comment then about what i hear.

1643669130675.png

Last edited:
Reactions: HiFim3 and GuyB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing