Wadax Reference Dac and Server arrive

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
No, I just asked for what was the system and if possible, the recordings.
The system is in my signature line and the files are too numerous to name.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The system is in my signature line and the files are too numerous to name.

Thanks, but a few examples of the files would be needed to valuate your comment. For example, in fact, DXD is not an intrinsic recording format - most times it is a mixed format that can incorporate many original data formats. We can expect different opinions about such files and their down samples, depending on their origin. Also I read that findings differ when we use downsampled files or files recorded with different sampling rates set in the recording system.

BTW, what you find on the MSB can be different from what owners of other brands hear in their systems.

You can call it over complication, it is simply the crude reality.

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
With a few owners of WADAX Electronics on this forum is is great hearing the new standard of sound all of you are getting. My question is do the owners of WADAX use the volume on the ROON system or do you use the volume on your preamp when listening?. Have any of you compared the difference?

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
With a few owners of WADAX Electronics on this forum is is great hearing the new standard of sound all of you are getting. My question is do the owners of WADAX use the volume on the ROON system or do you use the volume on your preamp when listening?. Have any of you compared the difference?
Every setting in Roon were blocked. Wadax users must use the volume on the preamp. Wadax made optimal on Roon for users.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
not been able to add files to my Wadax server as my 24tb space is mostly filled.

been waiting for the 16tb Samsung 870 QVO SATA III SSD drives to be introduced so i can upgrade my (3 x 8tb) 24tb +2tb resident file storage to (4 x 16tb) 64tb +2tb resident storage with -4- 16's. i want to add more very high rez files. but.....alas......not seeing anything on the horizon. when i bought my Wadax combo 14 months ago it was predicted we would see those 16tb version in early 2023.

checking today i did see the 8tb versions are sale priced at $533 on Amazon. that's $200 below what they were priced. so i bought a 4th to get me to 32tb +2tb resident so at least i can start to acquire more files now. then the pressure is off waiting for the 16tb versions for awhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Vu

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
not been able to add files to my Wadax server as my 24tb space is mostly filled.

been waiting for the 16tb Samsung 870 QVO SATA III SSD drives to be introduced so i can upgrade my (3 x 8tb) 24tb +2tb resident file storage to (4 x 16tb) 64tb +2tb resident storage with -4- 16's. i want to add more very high rez files. but.....alas......not seeing anything on the horizon. when i bought my Wadax combo 14 months ago it was predicted we would see those 16tb version in early 2023.

checking today i did see the 8tb versions are sale priced at $533 on Amazon. that's $200 below what they were priced. so i bought a 4th to get me to 32tb +2tb resident so at least i can start to acquire more files now. then the pressure is off waiting for the 16tb versions for awhile.
That’s a great price Mike, thanks for posting. I just placed an order for 8TB version doubling up my storage to 16TB.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

DMSB

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2017
dircet Analog to Digital (AAD) in 24bit/96khz is enough , above it is only marketing hype.

dan lavry article about optimum sampling rate :
A slightly more nuanced take on this truth is that while 24bit/88.2khz or 24bit/96khz is definitely sufficient for maximum quality as a storage or transmission format, increased sample rates or precision might be necessary for other reasons. If you are mixing or processing, a higher word precision is required (but not a higher sample rate). If you are reproducing that audio in a physical DAC, a higher sample rate is required. The converter itself needs a higher sample rate feed to minimize physical converter limitations. The conversion to a higher precision word, such as 32 bit, is straightforward and lossless, but converting to a higher sample rate is more problematic. Most sample rate conversion algorithms, regardless of touted precision or marketing fluff, do a pretty bad job of it and can result in harshness, glare, muddiness and/or color in the reproduced sound. In this case it is advantageous to feed the inferior processing algorithm with the highest native sample rate available so that it cannot corrupt the analog result as much. If top quality sampling conversion algorithms are used however, sample rates higher than 88.2khz are only advantageous in that they can provide a very slight increase in resolution, which is rarely advantageous due to other limitations in the recording process.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
It has been a long while sice i visited this thread. So I read through the whole thing. I did not see any evaluation on the impact of the three little knobs. Even after footers, network switch, cables, qpoi t and qsource… it seems that adjusting the timing of the digital output is a huge innovation and would be irresistible.

just curious if you have experimented with them all? Maybe just too busy, which I understand.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It has been a long while sice i visited this thread. So I read through the whole thing. I did not see any evaluation on the impact of the three little knobs. Even after footers, network switch, cables, qpoi t and qsource… it seems that adjusting the timing of the digital output is a huge innovation and would be irresistible.

just curious if you have experimented with them all? Maybe just too busy, which I understand.
yes; a few different times i did start playing around with those adjustments and could hear slight differences, but never really was through about it so can't say i made any meaningful progress and moved on. i do plan on returning to it at some point.

i had used Elliot's findings and did like those, so have stuck with those for now.

i do have my hands full of analog changes right now, for sure. but still listening to lots of Wadax digital and loving it.

Reactions: Pokey77

wil

Jul 22, 2015

Roy Gregory went into detail about the Digital Wave Correction tuning in one of the Wadax write ups on his gy8 site.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Sounds like all the optimizations are paying off. Running 4 qpoints out of the Qsource here (one under dac, one under extreme, 2 under preamp - doubling up can make a difference). In my system they are wonderful. When all are turned off at once, the music sounds flat in comparison. Very curious how the m12 gold switch here compares to the nordost.

Of course every system different etc etc. and obviously in no way is my system near mike’s
Hello,

Very funny.
I have two Qpoint on my preamplifier: one by channel.
I have one under my DAC, one under my CD player, one on my clock,all without LPS.
With Nordost Kone and Ansuz resonator, they are the best tweak I have.
Better 3D
Better accuracy.
Warmer Sound even with the CD player .
Better bass.
Voices are more human than without this tweak.

Reactions: ctydwn and Rocoa

struts

Jan 28, 2013
Sweden
So. A new reference server from Taiko was announced today.

We are introducing a new server model today, called the Olympus. Hierarchically it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience then the Extreme, or any other server I’ve heard for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions as sound staging, dynamics, colour palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Any plans to test this one in the barn @Mike Lavigne ?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
So. A new reference server from Taiko was announced today.

Any plans to test this one in the barn @Mike Lavigne ?
briefly saw that. not surprised.

Emile will never stop, and i'll be cheering him on. because i want (1) him to succeed, (2) Taiko customers happy, and (3) it will also push Wadax who are not standing still either. the music lover who wants the best will be the winner.

i did quickly scan that thread. did not see the price.....or get a chance to get deep into details. i did see there will be more details tomorrow.

i'm a very committed Wadax fellow but will be sure to listen to the Taiko Olympus big rig at a show if given a chance.

Last edited:

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
briefly saw that. not surprised.

Emile will never stop, and i'll be cheering him on. because i want (1) him to succeed, (2) Taiko customers happy, and (3) it will also push Wadax who are not standing still either. the music lover who wants the best will be the winner.

i did quickly scan that thread. did not see the price, nor if he is doing his own dac.....or get a chance to get deep into details. i did see there will be more details tomorrow.

i'm a very committed Wadax fellow but will be sure to listen to the Taiko Olympus big rig at a show if given a chance.
Actually I still don't see any points that Taiko server can be better than Wadax. The ref PSU of Wadax is better Taiko's BPS so much. Don't need to talk about the Akasa optical interface.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Actually I still don't see anything points that Taiko server can be better than Wadax. The ref PSU of Wadax is better Taiko's BPS so much. Don't need to talk about the Akasa optical interface.

Maybe you should listen before you conclude? How can anyone make a statement about the Taiko unit, good or bad, until they have heard it?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Actually I still don't see anything points that Taiko server can be better than Wadax. The ref PSU of Wadax is better Taiko's BPS so much. Don't need to talk about the Akasa optical interface.
there will be assaults on Wadax going forward. it's a fact. part of being king of the mountain. next year dCS will bring out all new SOTA hardware (Apex was a stop gap), and they think it will trump Wadax. be in the same price range as Wadax, so it's not just Taiko. i'm sure Lampi is burning the midnight oil. go big, or go home.

i agree that Wadax has some features which set it apart.....but that is just an opinion that you and i share.

i'm just listening to music and enjoying life. in digital nothing is forever. 20 years ago EMM Labs was kicking ass. but i'm loving what i'm hearing in the here and now. next year is next year. i'm interested, but not concerned.

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Actually I still don't see any points that Taiko server can be better than Wadax. The ref PSU of Wadax is better Taiko's BPS so much. Don't need to talk about the Akasa optical interface.
Is it possible let me know the details or inside of ref PSU? Taiko is pretty open about its hardware. I am interested to learn hardware details of Wadax ref PSU.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Is it possible let me know the details or inside of ref PSU? Taiko is pretty open about its hardware. I am interested to learn hardware details of Wadax ref PSU.
here is a link to what Wadax has to say about it. no pictures of circuits i've seen. there are also Wadax PSU reviews by Harley and Roy Gregory.

the Wadax Ref Server PSU does weigh 45kg. and is huge.....same size as the Server. so there is a lot.....there.....for what that's worth.

as far as Taiko, i personally worked with Emile for a number of years on the periphery of product development, so i fully realize how special his communication style is. Javier from Wadax has also been wonderful to work with but it's different in terms of getting into the weeds of details. not how Wadax does it. OTOH i can also atest to how the Wadax performs.

ask a Wadax dealer or email Javier with Wadax with questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuyB and Steve Vu

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Maybe you should listen before you conclude? How can anyone make a statement about the Taiko unit, good or bad, until they have heard it?
Didn’t you as others put Extreme above Wadax Ref. Server until now?
Have we to begin to let Taiko another chance to beat it one more time with Olympus?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing