Water Filtration Systems: What’s Best?

ajant

Jan 14, 2017
Since my family sold our home almost 3 years ago I’ve been drinking Shoprite supermarket brand bottled “spring” or sometimes “purified” water, here on Long Island. Recently, I’ve seen white stuff floating in almost every bottle of the spring water, presumably the plastic said to be present in water practically everywhere.

Some months ago a young 20 something was filling his Brita water pitcher in the company cafeteria. So I thought about the Brita and competing Pur pitcher type filter systems and checked the reviews at Consumer Reports, BB & Beyond and Amazon. While users seem to agree that these pitcher filters are good for making the water more tasteless, they don’t all filter out lead and other contaminants and/or bacteria and other pathogens.

How serious are these filtration deficiencies for Long Island NY water districts like Syosset Woodbury?

At Consumer Reports I also learned of the Reverse Osmosis systems.

https://www.consumerreports.org/pro...0/reverse-osmosis-water-filters-200313/view2/

vs. the Brita and Pur pitcher types

https://www.consumerreports.org/products/water-filters-32980/water-filter-pitchers-200280/view2/

Majority opinion on drinking distilled seems to be that it’s not harmful if your diet has adequate calcium and magnesium, but that it will virtually guarantee poor tasting coffee.

But now I see that even the more expensive RO systems don’t filter out bacteria

https://waterpurificationguide.com/brands-of-bottled-water-that-are-reverse-osmosis/

This Indian-based company is the only one that makes a system that does it all. https://www.aosmithindia.com/blog?field_listing_category_tid=427

Again, how serious are these filtration deficiencies for Long Island NY water districts like Syosset Woodbury?

Who else makes these RO-UV-VT filter systems? And how cost effective are they vs. Brita vs. Par vs. Shoprite or Brand XYZ spring or “purified” water?

All things considered, what’s best?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You do not need UV if a system removes bacteria, cyst, and virus. UV is only a disinfectant, rendering bacteria, cyst, vius unable to reproduce. You still get to drink the little bug-bodies and remeber it is often the RNA & DNA that creates the inflammatory response (pyro-toxins). To ensure removal of biologicals you need to filter down to .2 microns absolute (not nominal), which is the standard in ultrapure water systems (18.3 megohms resistivity) as is specified in analytical and research labs, and mfg of pharmaceuticals and semi-conductors.

I am founder of Pure Water Systems, Inc and we make residential (and commercial) purification systems that combine reverse osmosis and deionization, followed by .2 micron filter to ensure removal of 99.999% bacteria, cyst, and virus. As such, our systems are exempt from federal requirement stating “must be used on microbiologically safe water or with adequate pre- or post disinfection.”

For those inclined, we can add a remineralization module that adds back a trace of calcium and magnesium.

Feel free to message me with any questions, or visit purewatersystems.com. From there you can get my phone # and ring me if you like. I have been around water purification since 1984, and founded my own company in 2002.

Water systems and water purification is subject to as much snake oil as is found in many areas including alternative medicine or ‘audiophilia!’ I am happy to help sort things out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing