Weiss DSP501 Vinyl Sound Emulator

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What the heck is this?

This device can be used to "emulate vinyl sound on digital recordings."

How does this DSP device accomplish this? What is the algorithm doing, exactly?

IMG_8481.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMG_8483.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting that I like the sound of vinyl playback because of its "deteriorations."

Reactions: Carlos269

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I have been telling you and MikeL for years. Read about magnetic tape and its distortions and compression, which are embedded and part of the vinyl sound. So these distortions and deteriorations are compounded!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It seems like the algorithm mainly:

1) tinkers with frequency response,

2) adds distortion and

3) adds noise.

I'm not sure what are "amplitude modulation effects." (I mean I know what AM means, I just don't know what he's talking about in the context of vinyl playback.)

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
It seems like the algorithm mainly:

1) tinkers with frequency response,

2) adds distortion and

3) adds noise.

I'm not sure what are "amplitude modulation effects."

"amplitude modulation effects." is another way of saying dynamic compression.

Magnetic Recording: Analog Tape

These artifacts of magnetic tape recording & playback are of course “naturally” embedded or baked into vinyl and its sound.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have been telling you and MikeL for years. Read about magnetic tape and its distortions and compression, which are embedded and part of the vinyl sound. So these distortions and deteriorations are compounded!
Humans are imperfect. We respond to imperfections.

Reactions: MRJAZZ

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Ron, don’t forget about the distortions and dynamic compression from thermal ionic vacuum tubes.

You love the trifecta of distortions:

Magnetic Tape =>> Vinyl Playback =>> Vacuum Tubes Amplification

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, don’t forget about the distortions and dynamic compression from thermal ionic vacuum tubes.

You love the trifecta of distortions:

Magnetic Tape =>> Vinyl Playback =>> Vacuum Tubes Amplification

As I have learned that I prefer great tape playback to great vinyl playback I am not going to defend broadly the mechanical complexities and unavoidable crudeness of needle-in-the-groove vinyl playback. I will defend vinyl playback narrowly if we are comparing AAA to AAD.

No, I don't love distortions. That is an antagonistic mischaracterization.

However, I don't care about distortions. Whatever gets me closest to achieving my particular high-end audio objective is perfectly good by me. "Low noise floor" and "black backgrounds" do not figure into that objective.

I will leave it to Kevin and Luke and Ralph and Stavros, among others, to defend the linearity of tubes.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
As I have learned that I prefer great tape playback to great vinyl playback I am not going to defend broadly the mechanical complexities and unavoidable crudeness of needle-in-the-groove vinyl playback. I will defend vinyl playback narrowly if we are comparing AAA to AAD.

No, I don't love distortions. That is an antagonistic mischaracterization.

However, I don't care about distortions. Whatever gets me closest to achieving my particular high-end audio objective is perfectly good by me. "Low noise floor" and "black backgrounds" do not figure into that objective.

I will leave it to Kevin and Luke and Ralph and Stavros, among others, to defend the linearity of tubes.

Ron, I will share with you, and others here, an article that was instrumental & fundamental to me during my early days in the world of mastering studios. I have shared this article in the past, over a decade ago. It will be very insightful to you and others:

Analogue Warmth

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, I will share with you, and others here, an article that was instrumental & fundamental to me during my early days in the world of mastering studios. I have shared this article in the past, over a decade ago. It will be very insightful to you and others:

Analogue Warmth

I see nothing new there, but that article is a comprehensive and detailed survey and explanation of analog realities. Thank you.

But it doesn't change anything at all. You achieve your high-end audio objective by manipulating the signal in the ways you like. I achieve my high-end audio objective by accepting whatever is baked into the analog cake.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I have listened to Weiss DSP Vinyl Sound Emulator.

all formats both digital and analog change the sound (you can read both have distortion).
All amplifiers both tubes and solidstates change the sound but in different ways.

when I prefer analog to digital it does not mean I prefer the analog distortion , No , It means I prefer the Natural Beauty of Analog.
I pay more for high performance analog playback because I prefer less analog distortion.

Weiss Vinyl Emulator try to emulate the analog distortion and it does not emulate beauty of analog so I do not like it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing