Apr 15, 2014
Last edited:
Reactions: Amir and PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Finally, first review of the Helios, with a comparison to Medus too. Same reviewer previously reviewed the DAC 502 Mk 2 as well. Rest of the system is up to mark too.

Helios review:

DAC 502 Mk 2 review:

I red, but the audio system is not my taste. I will have HELIOS at home soon, and test.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Any updates on your review of the Helios?
Not yet. I wait the demo unit, probably in December. This unit is coming back from Australia. As soon as I will have HELIOS in house, I will try it and report. Stay tuned.

Reactions: Amir

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
I love the Helios. I think the simplest way to describe it is that it does everything the DAC502-4ch does but better. Basically, when listening to the DAC502-4ch and identifying its sound and comparing it to other DACs, it was easier and quicker to hear and identify those things when listening to the Helios.

Reactions: PhP and Amir

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I love the Helios. I think the simplest way to describe it is that it does everything the DAC502-4ch does but better. Basically, when listening to the DAC502-4ch and identifying its sound and comparing it to other DACs, it was easier and quicker to hear and identify those things when listening to the Helios.
Ok I will ear what does HELIOS vs DAC 502 4ch and vs PLAYBACK DESIGNS DACs which are my reference especially MPD-6/MPS-8. DAC 502 4ch with Pranawire Arhat power cord is so good it challenged a 22k€ DAC. MPS-8 with the same PRANAWIRE power cord is beyond words. Not yet listen to a better DAC than MPD-8.

Reactions: tipunch

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Ok I will ear what does HELIOS vs DAC 502 4ch and vs PLAYBACK DESIGNS DACs which are my reference especially MPD-6/MPS-8. DAC 502 4ch with Pranawire Arhat power cord is so good it challenged a 22k€ DAC. MPS-8 with the same PRANAWIRE power cord is beyond words. Not yet listen to a better DAC than MPD-8.
Looking forward to your HELIOS review!
BTW, you mentioned on your blog a "Taiko Extreme power supply". Taiko didn't yet launch their battery power supply, IIUC you are referring to the Taiko DC distributor which must be connected to an external power supply.

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Looking forward to your HELIOS review!
BTW, you mentioned on your blog a "Taiko Extreme power supply". Taiko didn't yet launch their battery power supply, IIUC you are referring to the Taiko DC distributor which must be connected to an external power supply.
Hello Matthias
it's DC distributor, you're right TAIKO has not yet launch their battery power. That's why I will power it from today, with a WEISS PSU 102 230/12v regulated, non switching, linear power supply. I will report how this Swiss PS improve my demo dematerialized TAIKO+PLAYBACK DESIGNS.
** PSU 102 is also use as upgrade for WEISS DAC 204 and 205.

Attachments

• IMG_7069.jpg
    IMG_7069.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7071.jpg
    IMG_7071.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: matthias

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Reactions: NekoAudio and PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Amir

I will finally test HELIOS very soon , in March. I am very impatient to compare it to the very best I know which is PLAYBACK DESIGNS MPD-8.
Please check the maximjm input voltage of your pre-amplifier and set the Weiss output voltage (analog domain) equal to that voltage and also set the digital volume on Zero db.
David @ddk believes the only dac with good bass (like top turntables) is Weiss .
Have fun and enjoy

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Please check the maximjm input voltage of your pre-amplifier and set the Weiss output voltage (analog domain) equal to that voltage and also set the digital volume on Zero db.
David @ddk believes the only dac with good bass (like top turntables) is Weiss .
Have fun and enjoy
I know and sale WEISS for 4 years now. It's of of the best DAC that has quite perfect bass to my experience.
Bass is premium, fast, clean. Certainly one of the very best I know, the other is PLAYBACK DESIGNS which is a bit different. The other is from a UK well known digital company. I would rank WEISS in 2. PLAYBACK is quite as fast, as clear but with a lot of aplomb. I prefer PLAYBACK because it's more dynamic and more "real". If the difference is quite small, the Californian company is closer to unamplified music. Also PB MPD-8 (dream line) is more expensive than HELIOS and has no streamer like the Swiss DAC. So HELIOS competitor is more PB DESIGNS MPD-6. In any case, I do not use volume on DAC event if PB DESIGNS has a real preamp analog output. I use only volume control on my APURNA™ Soprano Limited Apogée monoblocs that have each their true monoral preamplifier.
I will test HELIOS vs my MPS-8 that has a STREAM-X2 inside, it's a comparison at quite the same price (MPS-8 is more expensive because it also has a CD/SACD transport), and I do it now because my MPS-8 is on sale

Attachments

• IMG_4049.jpg
    IMG_4049.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 12

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing