Westlake Audio TM-1 monitor REFURBISH

Alby T

Oct 31, 2020
Los Angeles
Hello experts!
I’m dying to start re-habbin on these awesome Westlake TM-1s but I want to do it right and not ruin them!
I’m not sure of the extent I should go to.
Maybe wrap them in a cool veneer?
Patch and paint?
Tolex?

What should I do to make them the Most Badass ?

Last edited:
Welcome to WBF, Alby T!

That looks like a great project!

Reactions: Alby T
Look forward to seeing this project come to life! One vote for veneer...i am told layers of varnish/lacquer can improve stiffness and sometimes alter (improve?) sound.

Awesome speakers and worth the effort

looks like the wooden panels have gaps ? Water exposure ?
is the tweeter missing ?

DD is something of an expert of the effect of materials on old speakers maybe pm him

good luck ;)

Wow those cabinets need some TLC. You have all the components and the crossovers?? I can see the tweeter plate is the small format driver there?? If have all the guts might want to just build fresh cabinets as fixing them could be quite a task.

Rob :)

Last edited:
Wow those cabinets need some TLC. You have all the components and the crossovers?? I can see the tweeter plate is the small format driver there?? If have all the guts might want to just build fresh cabinets as fixing them could be quite a task.

Rob :)
Yes, I have all the right stuff included; All TAD and also I have all the ‘desired’ amp/crossover/eq chain.

Awesome speakers and worth the effort

looks like the wooden panels have gaps ? Water exposure ?
is the tweeter missing ?

DD is something of an expert of the effect of materials on old speakers maybe pm him

good luck ;)
Thanks!
I’m not familiar with ‘DD’!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing