What are the best/optimal acoustical build conditions for a room?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Few folks have the chance to hear their rigs in a room specifically built for audio reproduction. The point of this thread is to discuss what the optimal acoustical space would be for a full range system. Important aspects include everything involved in playback performance, sans nothing.

I have heard less than stellar systems pull of things with the reproduction that it shouldn't have had the right to pull off, while at the same time I have heard systems that should have every right to pull off everything well that just didn't quite cut the cake and left the listener quite disappointed.B

We all know [I would hope by now] that everything affects everything. I have looked at Micheal Greens Room Tunes and have dabbled here and there with learning about room acoustics and the correction thereof. Well, what about building a room that corrections are kept to a minimum?

If you were to start from absolute scratch, knowing what you know, what would you build for the best possible sound reproduction that wouldn't need room correction?

You'll find quite a few of our experiences in the member's systems sections. My build was chronicled there :)

I would fly Jack over here.

I don't think you'd want to do that unless it's my wonderful company you're after Gavin. :)

There's a reason I hired someone else and had him collaborate with yet another acoustician from Japan. I wasn't satisfied with the work I'd done myself! Not to mention that I couldn't sue myself for my screw ups. LOL.

But if you lived in America you could have had your wife sue you! I remember when I lived in Maine there was a news story one night where a woman had fallen down on the walkway leading to the front door of her house and she broke her hip. She sued her husband for not shoveling the walkway and the insurance company paid up. I’ll never forget the look on the news anchor’s face. He said he was going home and throwing his snow shovel away.

But if you lived in America you could have had your wife sue you! I remember when I lived in Maine there was a news story one night where a woman had fallen down on the walkway leading to the front door of her house and she broke her hip. She sued her husband for not shoveling the walkway and the insurance company paid up. I’ll never forget the look on the news anchor’s face. He said he was going home and throwing his snow shovel away.

only in America

OK, allow me to amend my first post a tad. How about instead of building a room with no room corrections, how about with minimal corrections. I don't know why I typed that the way I did. Would the Cardas Golden Trapagon room model be a good contender or no?

Of the systems you all have heard throughout your audio journey, is there a particular type of room that sounded better than others you have heard?

I would like to hire an acoustician but I do not feel that [from what I have read and heard] I would be able to afford one, unless I hit the lottery. I'm talking more along the lines of a DIY room. I have all of the necessary tools and know how to build the room, the question I have is what type of room to build? Since I have received some recommendations for an acoustician, could someone offer a general pricing for a consult or design? Is there a model they have used that works well or are all room designs system dependent?

I apologize about so may questions but that's why I created this thread. To ask and to learn.

A good acoustician will design your room based on your requirements, both sonic and practical. He'll likely interview you or provide a questionnaire then interview you. The information gathered would dictate what I like to call the "measurable deliverables" :) There is no one size fits all model. I wish there was one though. There are many standards one can follow and choosing amongst these is a matter of preference.

A good acoustician will design your room based on your requirements, both sonic and practical. He'll likely interview you or provide a questionnaire then interview you. The information gathered would dictate what I like to call the "measurable deliverables" :) There is no one size fits all model. I wish there was one though. There are many standards one can follow and choosing amongst these is a matter of preference.

My impression of Rives room designs are somewhat boiler plate designs

They do tend to have the same "look" to them don't they?

OK, allow me to amend my first post a tad. How about instead of building a room with no room corrections, how about with minimal corrections. I don't know why I typed that the way I did. Would the Cardas Golden Trapagon room model be a good contender or no?

Of the systems you all have heard throughout your audio journey, is there a particular type of room that sounded better than others you have heard?

I would like to hire an acoustician but I do not feel that [from what I have read and heard] I would be able to afford one, unless I hit the lottery. I'm talking more along the lines of a DIY room. I have all of the necessary tools and know how to build the room, the question I have is what type of room to build? Since I have received some recommendations for an acoustician, could someone offer a general pricing for a consult or design? Is there a model they have used that works well or are all room designs system dependent?

I apologize about so may questions but that's why I created this thread. To ask and to learn.

Getting some help is not that expensive relative to all the money spent on equipment. But you should realize that the acoustics consulting market is not one size fits all. You will find hourly rates from maybe just over a hundred to four hundred an hour depending on what company you choose so most should find a place they are happy with. You could get a full design starting at 12hrs work for something in an existing room using off the shelf treatment up to hundreds of hours for a noise isolated room with full custom designed acoustics, site visits during construction and cad blueprints.

Congrats indeed Nyal! How cool.

Also Nyal, very well stated on design/designer options!

As I think on this, every firm is going to bring their unique experiences and perspectives to the situation and that (I think) confuses some that this design stuff is all subjective. There are options and decisions to be made (I like to think in terms of selecting the right compromise), BUT isolation is an absolute. The "in-room" function should be within well agreed ranges. From THIS point the unique needs and desires of the client would lead the designer to tailor the acoustical finishes one way or the other.

The best/optimal build conditions will be different for each project because each has its own unique constraints (space, budget, decor, materials, etc.) and goals (noise control and sound quality). It is the job of the acoustician to offer solutions that meet your objectives. Since there are always compromises to be made, it is the job of the acoustician to educate the client as to the expectations of the pros and cons, so that the client can make informed decisions. We offer flat fees for most of our design, modeling and/or testing services.

Nyal -- big congrats!

treitz3 -- if I were contemplating a dedicated sound environment, one criterion would be flexibility...the ability to adjust the room for different loudspeakers for example.

Nyal - congrats.

Treitz - take a look at the in-house listening rooms of a few of the big manufacturers and there are a few Audiogon and other threads where people chronicle the build-out. Was it Elberoth2 on Audiogon? CAnnot remember.

Somewhere there are descriptions of the Rockport Facility...custom built for their own in-house listening. Looks just like someone's living room, oriental rugs, couches, curtains, everything...except the walls are 18" concrete...floor, ceiling, walls, etc...something super like that. Was it Harry Pearson who visited it? There are also a few shots on the Rockport website.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing