What are the correct priorities for system upgrades??

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
How effective is Balanced Power ? Would like to hear from end users on how it helps .

I removed and sold a Shunyata Triton V2 and 3- Shunyata Typhons from my system after installation of a Torus 90A balanced panel. I left the Shunyata conditioners in the system for a good 8 months after the Torus install, even upgraded to a Triton V2 because I assumed more was better. One day a couple of months ago, on a whim, I started disconnecting the Shunyatas one at a time over the course of a couple of weeks and things kept getting better and better as I removed each additional box. Live and learn I guess, I removed $28,000 worth of conditioning and power cords and my system sounds considerably better for it. Not a negative regarding Shunyata by the way, I swore by them and they worked great for me. The Torus just rendered them unnecessary in my system and it has never sounded better.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Pre amp first
Room (speakermatch )
Speaker
poweramp
source digitally speaking , if analogue it goes straight up in second place , r2r then turntable

cables

PS if your power amp is underpowering the speakers then its obviously a wrong comparison from the start

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I guess I am the only one that disagrees with this.

Sure, the speakers will make the biggest discernible difference, but if the sources are inferior, you will end up with an accurate representation of an inferior signal.

If the plan is to upgrade the entire system in question, over time, I believe the source is where to start.

You make some very valid points Simon.
In my experience it's not just a case of buying the best possible speakers or amplifiers you can afford to the exclusion of everything else in your system. Most people's resources are finite and it is sensible to constantly be evaluating how you can best improve the system overall. One high end component and the rest at budget level makes no sense, It is important in my view to try and do it in a balanced way to maximise the sound quality of your system. A more modest upgrade to the speakers can free resources to spend on an amplifier upgrade or whichever part of the system is your next prioity.
Power supply is so important and affects the whole of the system. Likewise Entreq grounding is likely to have similar benefits across the system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing