What are the Top Horn Speakers in the World Today? Vox Olympian vs Avantgarde Trio vs ???

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
All corner horn designs like JBL Hartsfield, Vitavox CN-191 and Klipschorn use the corner walls to extend the horn and get lower bass cutoff. Back in the days of mono there was no concern about corner placement affecting imaging and soundstage...it was mono. The speakers size was still some concern but you only had to accommodate one of them. None of these are hybrid or have bass boost (like Avantgarde bass horns, which are part horn and part sealed box). Folded horns are how most people who want true horn bass do it and there are other solutions. The Pnoe is long enough but it is huge. The Aries Cerat Symphonia is long enough as well but doesn't get as deep as a big vented box, for example. Pnoe and Symphonia don't need a corner but the gain from a corner or rear wall will help them as well...when they are well out into a room they can sound somewhat lean.

Corner horns obviously need a corner. But we were not discussing corner horns, and even in vintage horns there are many non-corner horns

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Corner horns obviously need a corner. But we were not discussing corner horns, and even in vintage horns there are many non-corner horns
We are discussing all horns and that includes corner horns.

Reactions: Bergm@nn

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: cjfrbw

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Bonzo,

I find that using boundaries to boost can be a disturbance to listening. Jack D summed it perfectly for me; "no bass is better than bad bass".

Every time I listen to the Contendo online I wonder if I could start a cult big enough to purchase them.

The above is my way of expressing that these speakers have a grip and coherence that I have never heard from any multi-way effort. I would go as far to say "worth the coin" As an added bonus insane bass speed and pressure.

The man must be a master an alchemist of yore, the parts alone are average yet the whole stands absolute, zenith without current peer.

I wager the waiting list is both REAL and lengthy.

Kindest regards,(need a ponzi) G.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If the horn is large enough combined with narrow directivity, it can be placed up against a front wall or in a corner without a detrimental effect. But we're talking much larger horn then.

View attachment 127580

"Without a detrimental effect" is subjective. To my ears and experience and preference having the sound-stage develop behind the plane of the speakers is a very different presentation than a flat presentation with little depth and sound-staging, or than a sensation that the sound is projecting towards me. To me the difference in presentation results in an overall experience with a greater delta than a change of cable or component or even a source. It's just a whole different sonic experience to me.

Again, totally subjective, but speakers against the front wall just don't provide a presentation that I cotton to.

Anytime I see speakers close up against the front wall (other than corner horns, of course, which are designed to be up against the front wall) a voice inside my head says "pull them into the room!"

As Peter wrote, if the set-up is a "lifestyle choice" or substantially for show and decoration, then none of this matters.

PS: My experience at Marty's and Todd's makes me want to pull the Pendragons another 2 feet into the room. It's not a complicated formula: the further into the room the loudspeakers are, the greater the depth and realism of sound-staging I hear.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjfrbw

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
"Without a detrimental effect" is subjective. To my ears and experience and preference having the sound-stage develop behind the plane of the speakers is a very different presentation than a flat presentation with little depth and sound-staging, or than a sensation that the sound is projecting towards me. To me the difference in presentation results in an overall experience with a greater delta than a change of cable or component or even a source. It's just a whole different sonic experience to me.

Again, totally subjective, but speakers against the front wall just don't provide a presentation that I cotton to.

Anytime I see speakers close up against the front wall (other than corner horns, of course, which are designed to be up against the front wall) a voice inside my head says "pull them into the room!"

As Peter wrote, if the set-up is a "lifestyle choice" or substantially for show and decoration, then none of this matters.

PS: My experience at Marty's and Todd's makes me want to pull the Pendragons another 2 feet into the room. It's not a complicated formula: the further into the room the loudspeakers are, the greater the depth and realism of sound-staging I hear.
First of all, it will depend on the directivity of the speaker. If it's sufficiently narrow and broadband uniform there are no audible reflections from nearby boundaries. Typical commerical horns don't meet these requirements though.

However, even with a large horn with the right dispersion pattern, you loose the "visual" depth with placement up agains walls. Which is what you see what your eyes. When we see a great distance behind the speakers, our brain pereceives it as depth and adds it. And it's also gone when you close your eyes.

Reactions: adyc

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017

Ron, I forgot, what is the length of your listening space?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
However, even with a large horn with the right dispersion pattern, you loose the "visual" depth with placement up agains walls. Which is what you see what your eyes. When we see a great distance behind the speakers, our brain pereceives it as depth and adds it. And it's also gone when you close your eyes.

If you are suggesting that the sonic sensation and presentation that the sound-stage develops wholly behind the plane of the speakers is a visually-induced delusion, than I strongly disagree. It doesn't go away when I close my eyes. In fact, sometimes I close my eyes to hear it more clearly without the interference of the visual sense.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Bonzo,

I find that using boundaries to boost can be a disturbance to listening. Jack D summed it perfectly for me; "no bass is better than bad bass".

Every time I listen to the Contendo online I wonder if I could start a cult big enough to purchase them.

The above is my way of expressing that these speakers have a grip and coherence that I have never heard from any multi-way effort. I would go as far to say "worth the coin" As an added bonus insane bass speed and pressure.

The man must be a master an alchemist of yore, the parts alone are average yet the whole stands absolute, zenith without current peer.

+1 on the Contendo… beauty in design should not just be done… it should also be seen to be done.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
If you are suggesting that the sonic sensation and presentation that the sound-stage develops wholly behind the plane of the speakers is a visually-induced delusion, than I strongly disagree. It doesn't go away when I close my eyes. In fact, sometimes I close my eyes to hear it more clearly without the interference of the visual sense.
I didn't say that.

To sum up: There are not detrimental effect with a horn with the right dispersion pattern placed in a corner other than the visual depth loss.
But almost no one has heard such horn speakers either. It requires a very large horn with a very uniform directivity. There's a good reason very frew brands show directivity measurements these days.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I didn't say that.

Then what is the meaning of: "When we see a great distance behind the speakers, our brain pereceives it as depth and adds it. And it's also gone when you close your eyes"?

Reactions: nirodha

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Usually that is to boost bass, as horns are not usually long enough to get well into the bass range and the walls extend this, and not so much due to underpowered amplifiers. A speaker that is well over 100dB sensitivity will do just fine with a 2-3 watt amp in most domestic situations.

That speaker is not a 100Db in the bass region usually and yes you do get gains broadband not just in the bass regions when corner loading ...

Regards

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
All corner horn designs like JBL Hartsfield, Vitavox CN-191 and Klipschorn use the corner walls to extend the horn and get lower bass cutoff. Back in the days of mono there was no concern about corner placement affecting imaging and soundstage...it was mono. The speakers size was still some concern but you only had to accommodate one of them. None of these are hybrid or have bass boost (like Avantgarde bass horns, which are part horn and part sealed box). Folded horns are how most people who want true horn bass do it and there are other solutions. The Pnoe is long enough but it is huge. The Aries Cerat Symphonia is long enough as well but doesn't get as deep as a big vented box, for example. Pnoe and Symphonia don't need a corner but the gain from a corner or rear wall will help them as well...when they are well out into a room they can sound somewhat lean.

These designs were specific to add bass gains by using room gain from the corners , once power was discovered and imaging became important they disappeared..

BTW all speakers gain from being closed to the wall ..!

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Bonzo,

Is there a link to this Contendo line never heard of it ..?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Actually not true regarding the Hartsfields. The Hartsfields have a completely sealed back and do not require a corner to extend bass. The Hartsfield is a unique patented design and is similar to the Tannoy Westminster's or Autographs. The Klipschorn and the Vitavox (Vitavox licensed the design from Klipsch) are identical, open back designs that require a corner to seal the back and produce bass.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Ok found the Contendo Mk2 , an AC design , masterpiece looking speakers for sure..!

Uses a Raal tweeter it seems ...!

Attachments

• 175AC7EC-5D20-4103-83E2-F7B5D7B1CDFD.jpeg
    175AC7EC-5D20-4103-83E2-F7B5D7B1CDFD.jpeg
    928.2 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Willgolf

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Actually not true regarding the Hartsfields. The Hartsfields have a completely sealed back and do not require a corner to extend bass. The Hartsfield is a unique patented design and is similar to the Tannoy Westminster's or Autographs. The Klipschorn and the Vitavox (Vitavox licensed the design from Klipsch) are identical, open back designs that require a corner to seal the back and produce bass.
Ok, got that wrong. I guess they made it corner friendly for other reasons.

Reactions: jeff1225

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ok found the Contendo Mk2 , an AC design , masterpiece looking speakers for sure..!

Uses a Raal tweeter it seems ...!
He uses a Raal tweeter on all his speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing