What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

514cD3LlBdL.jpg

I finished listening to this today. Some truly jaw-dropping playing.

71UIZz%2B5ebL._SL810_.jpg

(I hope he doesn't continue to mimic Uchida's covers!)

51K4JWDJApL.jpg

Brutal = "BAD ASS!" in this case I think....7,9,10 and 11 with USSR MOC ensemble under Rozhdestvensky are meaty, intense, often spoken of (truthfully) as great interpretations of these works, particularly the 11th. There are so many great Shostakovich recordings out there (I have several shelves worth) Kondrashin, Mravinsky, Barshai, Kitajenko, Bernstein, Solti, Rostropovich, Yablonsky, Gergiev and so many others....as of late, I really like what is coming out of Royal Liverpool under Petrenko and BSO under Andris Nelsons. So much music, so little time :)

Brutal = "BAD ASS!" in this case I think....7,9,10 and 11 with USSR MOC ensemble under Rozhdestvensky are meaty, intense, often spoken of (truthfully) as great interpretations of these works, particularly the 11th. There are so many great Shostakovich recordings out there (I have several shelves worth) Kondrashin, Mravinsky, Barshai, Kitajenko, Bernstein, Solti, Rostropovich, Yablonsky, Gergiev and so many others....as of late, I really like what is coming out of Royal Liverpool under Petrenko and BSO under Andris Nelsons. So much music, so little time :)

I have just recently discovered Shostakovich (saw one performance recently conducted by Andris Nelsons). Being an audiophile, I am after recording quality as much as performance. The recent BSO recordings don't do it for me (distant and thin). I just got the Mariss Jansons box set. Only heard a little so far but like it.

Very interesting to hear how one of the top ''Jazz engineers'' approach a classical chamber music setting. It is more intimate, very real but still one can fell the big hall. I hope they will release more classical music in the future. I find the download a very welcome addition to my classical collection and a steal for that price( introduction offer).

Levan_Izhar_300_shadow_v3.png
http://www.soundliaison.com/

And check the ports behind the musicians on this photo:
LevanIzhar3_schaduw.png
the complete hall is like that!

I have just recently discovered Shostakovich (saw one performance recently conducted by Andris Nelsons). Being an audiophile, I am after recording quality as much as performance. The recent BSO recordings don't do it for me (distant and thin). I just got the Mariss Jansons box set. Only heard a little so far but like it.

Interesting...not hearing the 'distant and thin' aspect here but they are not as raw and energetic as some of the other 'more quintessentially Russian' recordings out there; check out some of the names I listed earlier and add Bernstein's massive #10 to the list. If you send me a private mail, I can definitely should you specifics on the best of discs I've found scouring various forums for opinions and pointers over the years coupled with a ton of listening......

Interesting...not hearing the 'distant and thin' aspect here but they are not as raw and energetic as some of the other 'more quintessentially Russian' recordings out there; check out some of the names I listed earlier and add Bernstein's massive #10 to the list. If you send me a private mail, I can definitely should you specifics on the best of discs I've found scouring various forums for opinions and pointers over the years coupled with a ton of listening......

I don't hear those problems in No.10, either. All of the reviews that I've read complimented the BSO recordings. Guess I'll find out how No.5, 8, and 9 sound when that set arrives. That Rozhdestvensky No.11 is an early digital and has very brittle sound, but the performance is searing beyond belief.

You can get the Haitink recordings on Decca - great classic interpretations with two famous orchestras with really great digital sound. https://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-Complete-Symphonies-Dmitri/dp/B000F3T7RO

^^ I find Haitink a bit reserved for my taste, but others like him quite a bit.

I listened to the Liszt recital today. Even more flame-throwing than the Chopin, which stands to reason. He seems to be channeling Horowitz and Cziffra in adding a few extra bits here and there to make them even more virtuosic. In the white-hot heat of the moment, he hits a clinker or two, but they don't seem to bother his Moscow audience since they erupt into fervent applause and cheers before some of the pieces fully end! I would love to see this guy in concert sometime.

71nsajpwmUL._SL500_.jpg

Last edited:
^^ I find Haitink a bit reserved for my taste, but others like him quite a bit.

I have so far watched Haitink conduct Mahler 1, Beethoven's 9th, and Bruckner 7. He has easily been the best I have watched. Once I met a cellist from the LSO, she has been playing with them since 1982, and she said she rated Haitink the best among the conductors who visit here. That said I haven't heard much of his recorded LPs/CDs

No.8 today. Not as lacerating as the Mravisnky/Leningrad recording (what is?), but it's still quite powerful and well recorded. The level seems a little low to me, so I have to turn it up for suitable impact.

71T6fdjd8aL._SL800_.jpg

Bought this sealed 180 gram LP yesterday in San Francisco. Still sounds great.

81SqGTDPjXL._SL800_.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing