What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

81umiyG1CYL._SL500_.jpg

This thread is so dead that a necrophiliac couldn't get aroused by it.

Well I for one follow it for what it's worth. It's value increases when a post of an album is accompanied by a comment or two.

Me too John I always check your selections. So it's not all in vain. And I bet other members than I and Ian are checking it too...like Kal for example...a big classical music lover and in multichannel too (SACD). I sample the stuff you post, and it's good for my soul.

But yes I know what you mean; audio forums are best when exchanging, communication with others. All by ourselves is boring, almost depressing, and with time we lose our incentive.
One more thing; you are one of the top guns in that most beautiful music. I also remember one very good thread on classical music over @ aficionado, back when I was active.
I wasn't posting but I sure was reading. Once in a while I was sharing few music selections; and I was constant with films though.

You are right; the best threads are the ones shared by common passion and the skill to communicate in words our passion for music (classical here), and other music genres like jazz, blues, new age, world, etc. Some threads have a consistency, usually from forums with large number of members.

Here's a tip; think of your posts (classical music selections) as they are being read by many mistresses. :b
And now you know that me and Ian are checking them.
When Ian told be once that he was checking the films that I've watched; just that was encouraging. I don't need an audience, today YashN is there, and he's Canadian too. :cool:
And Mike now is posting too...the Ferrari man, the guy who just saw The Legend of Tarzan @ the theater with his grandson, and in 3D too. And Mike loved Deadpool. :cool:

Sure with only few hundred active members it's quiet here, but I like quiet. There is also a member who post aerial views of old buildings all across beautiful European countries, from a motorless plane (planeur in French). That too I enjoyed, very.

Another thing; we are all masters of the directions we take in discoveries and in invitations. It is part of sharing, smooth contribution/communication.

WBF's forte is a diversity and also an intensity in all life's venues...from the most simple to the out-of-this-orbit extravagant.
I like that. And the crowd here is expert in going deep on the subjects of interest; which is wide wide wide and open. One idea can take off and the thread get to over thousand posts just like that...a wild fire helped by strong winds from the globe's four corners.
The general state-of-mind of the average member is similar to the very next guy sitting next to him; it might not appear so @ first glance but it's spooky the power of music and film sharing. ...Plus the millions of other subjects...like tube amplifiers, valves, cylinders, phono re-eq, mastering, tapes, tracks, wines, food, cheese, videos, photographs, latest techs, the influence of the human evolution on men and women, the music and cinema effects, the inner chords of life, the values of peace and war, the history of our planet.

* My friend Will is watching this nowadays (and I checked some with him): http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/cnn...tom-hanks-gary-goetzman-exclusive-1200614874/
It's all about the main movements during the sixties, 70s, 80s, and above. ...Fascinating stuff, and today in the year 2016 it is interesting to check what are men's new major movements in the Americas and in all world countries.

Classical music is for me the true Music with a capital "M". It's better than Wall Street, better than NASDAQ, better than Abu Dhabi, better than Hilary and Donald together, ...almost better than sex.

I know, I'm completely off topic, and I should stick with posting a Classical Music recording, but that's what it does to me sometimes...classical music...it makes me think and talk about everything there is in the universe.

Don't give up John; reinvent yourself to be you first motivated by your own passion...and Ian is right, when you type few words to describe your music listening experience, with you we fly. And you always bring peace...there is no argument as to how to sync your turntable with your soul, your room and your speakers. We're all in a similar wavelength. I sure am because my musical evolution brought me here, reading your posts...all of them. ...Classical Music ?

Last edited:
So, in other words, you want me to keep posting? ;)

Please!

I have so much to learn about classical music and of course which recordings are special either for the performance and/or recording quality.

I wish I could return the favor but I am light years behind you.

OK, I'm convinced. Thank you for the kind words.

I prefer his romantic approach more than Schiff's straighter, non-pedaled approach after comparing them.

61SD0xi2JDL._SL500_.jpg

Herr Bachtoven,

I understand the frustration you feel. However, if you examine the number of views your posts have generated, you'll see that there are indeed many folks very interested in your thoughts. Your knowledge of the classical piano ouevre is remarkable, and there are few members who have such a thorough collection. In the same vein, a discussion on particle physics would not generate too many responses either.

I have found your impressions of recorded music to be quite interesting and your taste in music refined. Many of your suggested recordings are not well-known and serve to introduce us to alternatives from the "mainstream".

Please continue.

Lee

Herr Bachtoven,

I understand the frustration you feel. However, if you examine the number of views your posts have generated, you'll see that there are indeed many folks very interested in your thoughts. Your knowledge of the classical piano ouevre is remarkable, and there are few members who have such a thorough collection. In the same vein, a discussion on particle physics would not generate too many responses either.

I have found your impressions of recorded music to be quite interesting and your taste in music refined. Many of your suggested recordings are not well-known and serve to introduce us to alternatives from the "mainstream".

Please continue.

Lee

Thank you, Lee. I will.

+1. Keep going, most interesting thread.

Not to mention that this will serve a lot of people well who have yet to discover it.

51JZtomrKoL._SX425_.jpg

This is a very nice Mahler 7. I wouldn't label it top-drawer, but it has some very good qualities. The Nachtmusik are excellent, especially the first; so much character. It almost come across as Bernstein light as a whole, but much more musical. Playing down the over emotions and theatricality for a more musical, calming performance. The sound is pretty good, and the playing of the Atlanta Symphony is great. A nice cheap surprise from Amazon.

Newer recordings might have better sound, but none match the intense performance of this Barber Piano Concerto recording--not even Browning's RCA remake!.

51FECoVytYL.jpg

Thank you, Lee. I will.

Fantastic!!! I have learned a lot from your many posts, and am happily listening to great music thanks to your time and effort in posting all the great classical music out there you recommend. Thanks for all your time, Bachtoven!

I hear some Sibelius influences, with frequent chamber-like textures, and sudden cataclysmic upheavals.

51U0wyWsjkL.jpg

The Piano Quintet today. Wonderfully passionate playing and superb sound.

41GnJiVIzDL.jpg

Bach - Goldberg Variations Gould.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing