What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Awesome Jazzhead!!!!! I got that one as well! Fanstastic!!! What do you think? How many have you listened to?

Electrifying performances of Schumann's Sonata No. 3 and Scriabin's Sonata No.5 from 1976. Although these unedited performances have a few wrong notes, they are so much more visceral than the emaciated, edited ones that RCA released on LP ages ago. Better sound on this new release, too.

71SjMl8mdCL._SL500_.jpg

Electrifying performances of Schumann's Sonata No. 3 and Scriabin's Sonata No.5 from 1976. Although these unedited performances have a few wrong notes, they are so much more visceral than the emaciated, edited ones that RCA released on LP ages ago. Better sound on this new release, too.

71SjMl8mdCL._SL500_.jpg

Thanks, I would be interested in hearing this.

Awesome Jazzhead!!!!! I got that one as well! Fanstastic!!! What do you think? How many have you listened to?
Hi LL , only recently received it . Have so far, heard only the Goldberg Variations (1955) and the Beethoven Sonatas 30-32 . Compared to the older Goldberg Variations issue , seems smoother and less strident at the top of the note . A long journey of discovery awaits . Enjoy your set !

Hi LL , only recently received it . Have so far, heard only the Goldberg Variations (1955) and the Beethoven Sonatas 30-32 . Compared to the older Goldberg Variations issue , seems smoother and less strident at the top of the note . A long journey of discovery awaits . Enjoy your set !

Likewise! Have listen to most of it...excellent playback, though not all the CDs remasters are as clean.

Mahler's 9th

41Z4fhdvqSL.jpg

to test out my new Little Fwend, a tonearm lifter for manual turntables. Works beautifully. Pricey ($200), but it beats having my expensive stylus grind against the label when I fall asleep while listening!

Little-Fwend-3.jpg

Quality Records reissue. Just got my speed corrected version today. Sounds glorious !

How did that happen? I mean you getting the replacement LP? Was it automatically sent to you? I'm a bit annoyed that as the sole instigator of the speed issue problem relating to this series (and in direct communication with Chad Kassam about it) I've since heard nothing about the substitute releases (let alone received one - apart from what I read on the internet). Apparently LSC 2449 wasn't even remastered again - they are using Bernie Grundman's old transfer from years ago.

Is Witches Brew a "new-new" remastering or have they found an old one? If it is "new-new", who do it this time?

Thanks

How did that happen? I mean you getting the replacement LP? Was it automatically sent to you? I'm a bit annoyed that as the sole instigator of the speed issue problem relating to this series (and in direct communication with Chad Kassam about it) I've since heard nothing about the substitute releases (let alone received one - apart from what I read on the internet). Apparently LSC 2449 wasn't even remastered again - they are using Bernie Grundman's old transfer from years ago.

Is Witches Brew a "new-new" remastering or have they found an old one? If it is "new-new", who do it this time?

Thanks

No remastering....just a reissue. There is no need to remaster the sound...it's perfect as it is. They sent both albums in question w/o the outer jackets. The pressings are the best that has ever been done...absolutely quiet. You cannot say that about the original or classic records pressings. I also heard lsc 2449. It was brilliant too. I received an email that these were being sent out. Yes this was automatic. It will be for you too if you ordered and was delivered these titles when they first came out months ago.

Thanks

Jonathan,

I read a post from someone on another forum who mentioned they received their corrected copies. I still have not. I never even received the email that others received when Chad announced it would be repressed. I then wrote to Karen (the subscriptions manager at Acoustic Sounds) who reassured me that they DID send me the email and that I would be receiving the repressings soon.

There is no need to remaster the sound...it's perfect as it is. They sent both albums in question w/o the outer jackets. The pressings are the best that has ever been done...absolutely quiet. You cannot say that about the original or classic records pressings. I also heard lsc 2449. It was brilliant too. I received an email that these were being sent out. Yes this was automatic. It will be for you too if you ordered and was delivered these titles when they first came out months ago.

That is so true, the original ( even in a low pressing number...mine is a 3s,5s) and the classic records press are IMHO very slightly marred by the pressing noise. Since this is a stunning recording, I will put the new reissue on my very short list. After all, one cannot have too many copies of the old war horse.

Whew! This makes for an intense 66 minute listening experience! Excellent sound.

51NjjcN8MAL.jpg

Yesterday:

Leifs: EDDA Part 1, The Creation of the World (Viking Lore), Baumer/Iceland Symphony Orchestra, BIS SACD; unlike most anything else, well performed and well recorded...
Leifs: HEKLA (Depicts ever increasing eruptions of Hekla, a famous volcano), Shao/Iceland Symphony Orchestra, BIS CD, extremely interesting and different, as abov...

Today:
Celibidache, Bruckner #4, Live, Munich Symphony Orchestra, original EMI
Mravinsky, Shostakovich #5, Leningrad, Melodiya and also Erato releases
Mravinsky, Shostakovich #8, Leningrad, ALTO
Mravinsky, Shostakovich #10, Leningrad, Erato
Mravinsky, Shostakovich #11, Leningrad, Regis

all outstanding, heart-filled performances,....

Last edited:
Jonathan,

I read a post from someone on another forum who mentioned they received their corrected copies. I still have not. I never even received the email that others received when Chad announced it would be repressed. I then wrote to Karen (the subscriptions manager at Acoustic Sounds) who reassured me that they DID send me the email and that I would be receiving the repressings soon.

I emailed them yesterday my time (so they won't get it till Tuesday my time) asking them about the situation. I usually deal with Carly (International Sales) and she has always been excellent. I am hoping they will reserve a copy for me since I only order a couple of times per year (but each order is reasonably large - anything from a dozen to 20 or more records at a time). I think they at least owe me that as I have spent over $6,000 there on records since 2011 apart from anything else.

There is no need to remaster the sound...it's perfect as it is.

As for the versions being pressed, I don't really care in terms of pure sonics as unlike some critics and reviewers, I liked the earlier Grundman reissues (I actually think they might be more accurate to the master tape) based upon my knowledge of various fully digital versions made over the years where virtually no processing and EQ was applied. I was merely curious as to whether they had given the job back to Willem Mackee in Germany or not, since had they done so, it would have indicated that the equipment issues at Mackee's end had been resolved. Unless of course the source tape itself was ruined prior to the new remastering, though I doubt it because Mackee reissues over the last 18 months have shown increasingly disturbing levels of wow, strongly (almost irrefutably I would argue) suggesting his equipment - either the tape deck or lathe or both - was at fault and not the tapes.

I should probably point out though that when I read last week that LSC2449 was repressed using the older Grundman remastering I felt that was a little hypocritical of Analogue Productions to do this. The reason being is that without Analogue Productions actually naming names, it is pretty obvious (based upon the content of the "blurb sheets" contained in the Ryan Smith reissues of the US RCAs - and the press releases surrounding them) that they (Analogue Productions) were quite critical of Grundman's old US / British RCA LP remasterings from a couple of decades ago - claiming the EQ choices were poor resulting in poorer sound (I completely disagree with that). And if they were not referring to Grundman, I am not sure who they possibly could have been referring to, since the only other RCA Living Stereos I know of that have been reproduced on modern LP pressings are a very small handful of Cisco ones (which sound great, just like the Grundman Classic Records ones).

Or to put it another way, when Chad Kassem started this whole RCA reissue thing with Analogue Productions, it was stated that he would only go ahead if there was a substantial improvement over the earlier Classic Records LPs. Yet here they are using the parts used for an old Classic Records release. As I say, personally I don't care if it sounds good but I still think it is hypocritical even though it is a practical solution to the problem. In any event, what really matters to me is that these are pressed by Analogue Productions as their records have proven to be of a consistent quality, unlike anything else out I have experienced. If they used the old Grundman remasters for everything I would still be happy since I never got all the original titles anyway. And I would like to see another batch of the US ones by Ryan Smith! There are far too many great RCAs (British and US) out there that have never been reissued onto LP in the last 20 years.

Last edited:
I emailed them yesterday my time (so they won't get it till Tuesday my time) asking them about the situation. I usually deal with Carly (International Sales) and she has always been excellent. I am hoping they will reserve a copy for me since I only order a couple of times per year (but each order is reasonably large - anything from a dozen to 20 or more records at a time). I think they at least owe me that as I have spent over $6,000 there on records since 2011 apart from anything else.

As for the versions being pressed, I don't really care in terms of pure sonics as unlike some critics and reviewers, I liked the earlier Grundman reissues (I actually think they might be more accurate to the master tape) based upon my knowledge of various fully digital versions made over the years where virtually no processing and EQ was applied. I was merely curious as to whether they had given the job back to Willem Mackee in Germany or not, since had they done so, it would have indicated that the equipment issues at Mackee's end had been resolved. Unless of course the source tape itself was ruined prior to the new remastering, though I doubt it because Mackee reissues over the last 18 months have shown increasingly disturbing levels of wow, strongly (almost irrefutably I would argue) suggesting his equipment - either the tape deck or lathe or both - was at fault and not the tapes.

I should probably point out though that when I read last week that LSC2449 was repressed using the older Grundman remastering I felt that was a little hypocritical of Analogue Productions to do this. The reason being is that without Analogue Productions actually naming names, it is pretty obvious (based upon the content of the "blurb sheets" contained in the Ryan Smith reissues of the US RCAs - and the press releases surrounding them) that they (Analogue Productions) were quite critical of Grundman's old US / British RCA LP remasterings from a couple of decades ago - claiming the EQ choices were poor resulting in poorer sound (I completely disagree with that). And if they were not referring to Grundman, I am not sure who they possibly could have been referring to, since the only other RCA Living Stereos I know of that have been reproduced on modern LP pressings are a very small handful of Cisco ones (which sound great, just like the Grundman Classic Records ones).

Or to put it another way, when Chad Kassem started this whole RCA reissue thing with Analogue Productions, it was stated that he would only go ahead if there was a substantial improvement over the earlier Classic Records LPs. Yet here they are using the parts used for an old Classic Records release. As I say, personally I don't care if it sounds good but I still think it is hypocritical even though it is a practical solution to the problem. In any event, what really matters to me is that these are pressed by Analogue Productions as their records have proven to be of a consistent quality, unlike anything else out I have experienced. If they used the old Grundman remasters for everything I would still be happy since I never got all the original titles anyway. And I would like to see another batch of the US ones by Ryan Smith! There are far too many great RCAs (British and US) out there that have never been reissued onto LP in the last 20 years.

Please let us know if you successfully get your replacements. Coincidentally, I received an order from Acoustic Sounds yesterday. It was placed after I inquired about my replacements and did not contain the LPs in question.

Regarding Willem Mackee, I would love to know which other titles were affected by his faulty equipment. I've become quite sensitive to pitch instability and it would be good to know that if I have (and listen) to any of these reissues that I know it's not my turntable.

Where did you learn that Chad was using the Classics Records (Grundman) mastering for the replacements?

The other title I actually own that is effected is the Mehta Mahler 3 reissued a couple of years ago by Analogue Productions. When I heard the wow in that I originally attributed it to the tape, hence my sympathetic review of it. Having subsequently heard other issues of it that were not effected, I began to wonder. Then it became clear that Mackee's equipment was on a downward slide with the wow getting worse as time went on. If you compare the Mahler to the latest British RCA Decca reissues, it is obvious there has been a severe degradation in pitch stability over the last two years, however the symptoms should have been obvious from 2014.

The use of the Grundman remastering parts is mentioned in Acoustic Sounds current listing of LSC 2449:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...c__Bizet_Carmen_-_Suite-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record

So far as pitch stability is concerned, in my experience the three remastering chains with the best pitch stability are the ones used by Ryan Smith, Sean Magee and Maarten de Boer. I've never noticed any significant wow issues with vinyl remastered by these three but I notice issues with all the others to a greater or lesser extent.

The other title I actually own that is effected is the Mehta Mahler 3 reissued a couple of years ago by Analogue Productions. When I heard the wow in that I originally attributed it to the tape, hence my sympathetic review of it. Having subsequently heard other issues of it that were not effected, I began to wonder. Then it became clear that Mackee's equipment was on a downward slide with the wow getting worse as time went on. If you compare the Mahler to the latest British RCA Decca reissues, it is obvious there has been a severe degradation in pitch stability over the last two years, however the symptoms should have been obvious from 2014.

The use of the Grundman remastering parts is mentioned in Acoustic Sounds current listing of LSC 2449:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...c__Bizet_Carmen_-_Suite-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record

So far as pitch stability is concerned, in my experience the three remastering chains with the best pitch stability are the ones used by Ryan Smith, Sean Magee and Maarten de Boer. I've never noticed any significant wow issues with vinyl remastered by these three but I notice issues with all the others to a greater or lesser extent.

Thank you, Jonathan. I just read your review of the Mehta Mahler.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing