What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This one is a lucky surprise. Brendel is spectacular on this Schubert. I only paid $5. Apart from not quiet groove noises and some clicks pops. The piano sound so natural with room ambients. No such P.O. Shit declaration can come from ddk :p.

2FD8B28B-77C1-4E6F-A544-0D02F5F4D5E3.jpeg

Tang

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
New Order ?– Movement. 1981: 2009 Rhino US reissue, pressed @ RTI. sounds wonderful and easily better than my original Aussie pressing.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
New Order ?– Movement. 1981: 2009 Rhino US reissue, pressed @ RTI. sounds wonderful and easily better than my original Aussie pressing.

Is "FACT" short for "Factory"? If you like them, you might like Joy Division. The cover looks really like a Simple Minds album cover; maybe Sons and Fascination. Definitely got that early 80s look.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Is "FACT" short for "Factory"? If you like them, you might like Joy Division. The cover looks really like a Simple Minds album cover; maybe Sons and Fascination. Definitely got that early 80s look.

Yes, short for Factory records. This was release # 50. Cover art done by Peter Saville who has done virtually all Joy Division, New Order record covers as well as Bryan Ferry/ Roxy music, Peter Gabriel, Suede to name a few.
Big fan of Joy Division

Cheers

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Yes, short for Factory records. This was release # 50. Cover art done by Peter Saville who has done virtually all Joy Division, New Order record covers as well as Bryan Ferry/ Roxy music, Peter Gabriel, Suede to name a few.
Big fan of Joy Division

Cheers
I see. I was never a fan of New Order, but I'm from that time of Joy Division (and whom I like). Btw, I lived in Sydney in the late 90s (at Macquarie Uni). Amazing city.

Reactions: XV-1

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Just attended Jacksonville Symphony with special guest Alisa Weilerstein playing Dvorak. She gets almost trance like in some passages. Very entertaining and sitting front row center is the definition of live music.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just attended Jacksonville Symphony with special guest Alisa Weilerstein playing Dvorak. She gets almost trance like in some passages. Very entertaining and sitting front row center is the definition of live music.

She is superb. Saw her last month at wigmore hall playing various trios including the chamber arrangement of Shostakovich's 15th symphony. Will see her again later this year. Barenboim rates her as next best to his ex wife (Du pre)

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Richard Strauss - Four Last Songs, Tod und Verklärung, Metamorphosen, Karajan/BPO, Gundula Janawicz, DG 447 422-2
The magnificence of the Berlin is certainly on display here, and Janowicz in 'Four Last Songs', what a voice! I've heard a number of versions of this, beginning with Kiri Te Kanawa's 'Beim Schlafengehen' in the movie 'The Year or Living Dangerously.' For me this is the one.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
This one is a lucky surprise. Brendel is spectacular on this Schubert. I only paid $5. Apart from not quiet groove noises and some clicks pops. The piano sound so natural with room ambients. No such P.O. Shit declaration can come from ddk :p.

View attachment 49295

Tang

That is a wonderful album. Glad you found it. It was my introduction to Alfred Brendel (from before he went to Philips) and to the impromptus. I bought my copy (still have it) around 1966 when I was in college. Vox records were a bargain brand and went for $2 a record new, when full priced stereo records were going for $5 (maybe $6 by that time).

Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
She is superb. Saw her last month at wigmore hall playing various trios including the chamber arrangement of Shostakovich's 15th symphony. Will see her again later this year. Barenboim rates her as next best to his ex wife (Du pre)

We are seeing Weilerstein on May 1 doing a marathon concert in Berkeley of all six of the Bach Suites. The concert should be more than three hours long (quite long by today's standards, except for Wagner operas). It should be quite an experience. Reminder, Weilerstein also received a MacArthur Fellow "genius" award in 2011.

Larry

Reactions: bonzo75

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Richard Strauss - Four Last Songs, Tod und Verklärung, Metamorphosen, Karajan/BPO, Gundula Janawicz, DG 447 422-2
The magnificence of the Berlin is certainly on display here, and Janowicz in 'Four Last Songs', what a voice! I've heard a number of versions of this, beginning with Kiri Te Kanawa's 'Beim Schlafengehen' in the movie 'The Year or Living Dangerously.' For me this is the one.

Janowitz has this incredible luminous voice. IIRC she was a protege of Karajan. My introduction to her was in 1963 in the first classical LP set that I ever bought, Freshman year in college, the Karajan 1962 Beethoven Symphonies box set from DGG was on sale for $18.95 for the eight record set. Janowitz was the soprano in the last movement of the ninth symphony. Her soaring soprano in the quartet was entrancing and inspiring.

Larry

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Listening to Radio Swiss Classical. Its only 128kbps but the recordings are top class, the performers great and the programming is wonderful with many many pieces I just love but have never heard previously. I started out just using the channel as background and to warm up my system but as my system has improved I’ve gradually become hooked and listen for a couple of hours a day.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We are seeing Weilerstein on May 1 doing a marathon concert in Berkeley of all six of the Bach Suites. The concert should be more than three hours long (quite long by today's standards, except for Wagner operas). It should be quite an experience. Reminder, Weilerstein also received a MacArthur Fellow "genius" award in 2011.

Larry

Have seen the entire Wagner cycle at royal opera house. Gotterdamurung and Valkyrie were the best, Siegfried was the most boring.

The other long concert over three hours is Bach's St Matthews passion. Unfortunately it plays live only during Easter. We had seen one at Manchester's Bridgewater Hall which remains the best concert I have ever attended. The one last year at southbank was average

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That is a wonderful album. Glad you found it. It was my introduction to Alfred Brendel (from before he went to Philips) and to the impromptus. I bought my copy (still have it) around 1966 when I was in college. Vox records were a bargain brand and went for $2 a record new, when full priced stereo records were going for $5 (maybe $6 by that time).

Larry

I watched Uchida do some of the impromptus on December. I think Annie Fisher recording is regarded pretty highly

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Two of my best recordings of harpsichord. Both harpsichords played on these recordings were made by William Dowd but they are quite different: one is a copy of a Flemish instrument (Ruckers) whereas the other is a copy of a French harpsichord (Blanchet).

The Bach harpsichords is quite expensive. I have this Anne Chapelin not expensive like your Bach. Fantastic music and sound. I especially like side B. Dont know if you have this to compare. I might buy the Bach just to compare myself.

1F72B42C-984A-4BD0-9963-233BB0DB9C83.jpeg
B6F5AEC0-D91B-4792-8DAD-F67EA9229B3E.jpeg

Best,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Bach harpsichords is quite expensive. I have this Anne Chapelin not expensive like your Bach. Fantastic music and sound. I especially like side B. Dont know if you have this to compare. I might buy the Bach just to compare myself.

View attachment 49400
View attachment 49401

Best,
Tang

I have this too after listening at yours but at yours it sounded as if the top half had been cut off if not played with the vdh. The vdh adds so much more natural information in the highs of the harpsichord and those strikes

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Wonderful F86DCB57-C8EB-45AD-8F60-38E582017BBF.png

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have this too after listening at yours but at yours it sounded as if the top half had been cut off if not played with the vdh. The vdh adds so much more natural information in the highs of the harpsichord and those strikes
Absolutely no cut off from any carts. The Opus can do that really well too. Come listen again.

Tang.

Edit: No. Don't come. I take that back. I got a little carry away. Better have you not believe me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Absolutely no cut off from any carts. The Opus can do that really well too. Come listen again.

Tang.

Edit: No. Don't come. I take that back. I got a little carry away. Better have you not believe me.

For me this was the LP where the difference with vdh and others was most highlighted.

If not now then your Lamms have changed the balance

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -

View attachment 49400
View attachment 49401

Best,
Tang

Hi Tang,

The Bach is worth every penny though I got lucky finding one at a reasonable price. I have several hundreds of records with solo harpsichord music, all of them at a very reasonable price with just a few exceptions. Harpsichord can be magical when the chosen instrument is excellent, well played and well recorded.

LPs of baroque music on period instrument are usually cheap. I just bought about 50 LPs for less than 500 euros and they are all top rated in the best guide I know about baroque music and which has been my bible since it was issued in 1993.

I will try to post a selection of the best records of harpsichord I have in the coming days/weeks.

Kind regards,

Denis

Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing