What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I like the piano concerto 20 Furtwangler/Lefebure very much. The performance and interpretation is excellent to me. But the pressing I have is not at its prime. What concerto 20 pressing that might be good both interm of performance and sound.

View attachment 48849
Kind regards,
Tang

The great Clara Haskil is considered by many the finest proponent of the Mozart d minor. She has several recording, mostly mono. She died tragically in an accident in 1960. I have the stereo recording she did with Markevitch on Philips. I saw it is available also on CD.

Larry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The great Clara Haskil is considered by many the finest proponent of the Mozart d minor. She has several recording, mostly mono. She died tragically in an accident in 1960. I have the stereo recording she did with Markevitch on Philips. I saw it is available also on CD.

Larry

I tried bidding on that this morning. Two bidders. I lost. I wish you hadn't mentioned it here now there will be more competition

Reactions: astrotoy

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Brahms - Barenboim.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Beethoven - Sonatas Schiff.jpg

Reactions: NorthStar

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I tried bidding on that this morning. Two bidders. I lost. I wish you hadn't mentioned it here now there will be more competition
Sorry, Ked. Next time I'll send you a PM before announcing it the world (at least WBF).

Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Thanks for the recommendation. Was anyone able to snag a copy of Rattle Berlin Philharmonic record issue a few years back? It came out as a direct to disc or some other limited edition and hasn't appeared in any digital format that I have seen. It was expensive enough that I hesitated, waiting for some review or comment. By the time I saw something it was gone.

Larry

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks for the recommendation. Was anyone able to snag a copy of Rattle Berlin Philharmonic record issue a few years back? It came out as a direct to disc or some other limited edition and hasn't appeared in any digital format that I have seen. It was expensive enough that I hesitated, waiting for some review or comment. By the time I saw something it was gone.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Are you talking about this?

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/rattle-beethoven-symphonies.html?___store=rec_en

I have the hi-res download, and I thought the performances were OK, but Fremer seems to particularly like the vinyl, which seems to be the only version that was captured using the one-mic set up, so there might be extra thrills there that I'm not getting with the hi-res.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hi Larry,

Are you talking about this?

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/rattle-beethoven-symphonies.html?___store=rec_en

I have the hi-res download, and I thought the performances were OK, but Fremer seems to particularly like the vinyl, which seems to be the only version that was captured using the one-mic set up, so there might be extra thrills there that I'm not getting with the hi-res.

Thanks. No it is the Brahms Cycle that Rattle did with the BPO. I got the Beethoven cycle in digital including a multichannel version. I couldn't find the Brahms cycle. I think it only came out on a limited vinyl release (maybe D2D). Quite expensive, so I didn't jump on it when it was released.

Larry

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks. No it is the Brahms Cycle that Rattle did with the BPO. I got the Beethoven cycle in digital including a multichannel version. I couldn't find the Brahms cycle. I think it only came out on a limited vinyl release (maybe D2D). Quite expensive, so I didn't jump on it when it was released.

Larry

You're right, I remember now! It was not only one-mic, but also D2D, crazy stuff!

https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...ms-symphonic-cycle-conducted-sir-simon-rattle

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Just got a 1s/3s Shades dog Witches Brew at radio station record sale. Sound great!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Just got a 1s/3s Shades dog Witches Brew at radio station record sale. Sound great!

Great score! Fantastic sonics and performances. That is my pressing also. I think it is the first pressing of that super, ultrarare record. It was a Decca produced and engineered record (by the great Wilkie) as were many of the greatest RCA Living Stereo releases. Most of them, like Witches Brew returned to Decca after a ten year release period granted to RCA. Decca then rereleased Witches Brew on their bargain SPA series (SPA175), entitled Danse Macrabre. You can still find it in that issue at not crazy prices. It was recut and pressed by Decca with one added piece, Sorcerer's Apprentice, from another recording.

Larry

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

I know it says Digital, but it sounds pretty darn good.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Handel Concerti Grossi op 6 (2 CDs), The Academy of Ancient Music, Andrew Manze, harmonia mundi HMG 5072228.29 - first choice by the BBC. Excellent performance and sound quality.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Totally agree! I have that CD...extremely good. Enjoy! Have you listened to his Opus 4 (organ concertos...Harmonia Mundi)? Also recommend.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hope you like it...i think it fits in very well with the others... and in fact, I tend to listen to this particular CD the most of the Opus 3, 4, 6.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
One of my other tip top Handel favorites is Dettingen Te Deum & Dettingen Anthem, Choir of Westminster Abbey and The English Consort, Trevor Pinnock, Archive CD 410 647-2. Reminiscent of The Messiah. Written to celebrate the victory of the combined Austrian and British armies over the French at Dettingen in 1743.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes...I like Pinnock And Handel. I have that one as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing