What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is another excellent recording the General suggested to me. Very very transparent to the recording. The presentation and ambient cues just like you listen to Edward Pong's tape.

ED547A54-53E2-4D7B-B55F-6CC8BA2F15DF.jpeg
B0832891-D206-435B-BBE5-B874560801E9.jpeg

Tang :)

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Penderecki - Violin concerto no. 2 "metamorphosen"

Reactions: Migo

thehooraykid

Mar 16, 2019
I just got turned on to Cherubini (the CSO played him last season). Amazing. 118958902.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
3F24D3A2-F298-4954-9B0D-CB583D6980F4.jpeg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: Manesp

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Daniil Trifonov and Rachmaninov piano concertos 2 and 4...

A4718696-4A21-4A51-8F41-EC71D3264FE1.jpeg

He is assuredly an exciting and technically brilliant pianist and his sense of musical vision is clear and whole. He imbues this most bare almost minimal romantic 2nd piano concerto of Rachmaninov with a refined rhythmically very exact structure... my references are Richter and Ashkenazy but I find this reading most rewarding, both rich and marvellous. He owns this and Rachmaninov’s 2nd doesn’t leave many places for any poor technique to hide. Trifonov has nothing to hide here at all. The 2nd’s famous second movement is very much poetry... in some ways almost too perfect... but it is beautifully restrained and lilting and still again rhythmically marvellous.

The Rachmaninov 4 pairing is even stronger. It seems to resonate even more deeply for Trifonov. Polished, brilliant and touchingly romantic piano playing. This one speaks to the soul. Pretty marvellous technique and clear musical vision throughout really. While sometimes I find myself asking if the contemporary players do the romantic sufficiently romantic... but in the 4 there is more and with Trifonov technique is just never in question. He reaches more deeply here and he can also still be absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

View attachment 49877

He is assuredly an exciting and technically brilliant pianist and his sense of musical vision is clear and whole. He imbues this most bare almost minimal romantic 2nd piano concerto of Rachmaninov with a refined rhythmically very exact structure... my references are Richter and Ashkenazy but I find this reading most rewarding, both rich and marvellous. He owns this and Rachmaninov’s 2nd doesn’t leave many places for any poor technique to hide. Trifonov has nothing to hide here at all. The 2nd’s famous second movement is very much poetry... in some ways almost too perfect... but it is beautifully restrained and lilting and still again rhythmically marvellous.

The Rachmaninov 4 pairing is even stronger. It seems to resonate even more deeply for Trifonov. Polished, brilliant and touchingly romantic piano playing. This one speaks to the soul. Pretty marvellous technique and clear musical vision throughout really. While sometimes I find myself asking if the contemporary players do the romantic sufficiently romantic... but in the 4 there is more and with Trifonov technique is just never in question. He reaches more deeply here and he can also still be absolutely brilliant.

I have the second in Mercury, Byron Janis original. Seen it a couple of times again seeing next glitterati at barbican, next September Emmanuelle Ax will play it.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Also love the Byron Janis Rachmaninov piano concerto 2. Emmanuel Ax is also pretty handy on the ivories :)

Yannick Nezet-Seguin (who conducts on the Trifonov recording) says that he feels that the Rachmaninov 2nd heavily influenced Prokofiev and that it is the benchmark piano concerto. Big call.

However Trifonov’s Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 4 is now for me absolutely benchmark Rachmaninov. I’ll settle happily on that.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Continuing the Trifonov lovefest.

Moved on now to his Carnegie Hall recital.
C6AF34AD-62DF-49CA-80F1-2FEE722CC8BF.jpeg
The Scriabin is marvellously reflective... the Liszt appropriately illuminated and dare I say it transcendental... Trifonov is yet again brilliant.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

View attachment 49877

Why did you skip no3. I always enjoy no3 more. Is there an angle I should pay attention to on no2?

Kind regards,
Tang

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Tang, I imagine he will come back and record Rachmaninov 3, I doubt he is fearful of its technical challenge... I’m now listening to Trifonov’s Rachmaninov Paginini variations and this pianist can scale any mountain. I love all the Rachmaninov piano concertos. Far better than I could ever say here are the comments of a Russian pianist on Rachmaninov piano concerto 3

Vladimir Pleshakov:

Playing Rachmaninoff’s music with sentimentality is musical suicide. Playing his music fully objectively is musical betrayal. His music reflects humanity. Rachmaninoff’s sources of inspiration are very diverse: pre-tonal church chant dating centuries back, highly distilled folk song, visual art, literary allusions, subtle influences of the oriental Russia, of Ravel, Faure, Gershwin, highly distilled American jazz, and other influences he never talked much about (such as family, friends, self-imposed exile).

He walked a pathway parallel, but never too close, to Arensky, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Stravinsky, and more distantly, Chopin and Liszt. He never imitated, consciously or unconsciously, any of them. He was interested in ballet, in American musicals, in Stanislavsky-type theater. He loved the human voice, and it permeates like a rare fragrance all of his music - orchestral, vocal, and piano. He was also a superb conductor, and a superb orchestrator, transferring both of these skills into his piano music especially in terms of rhythm and color, but never for cheap effect. One can say that his piano music, for all of its apparent explosion of notes, is actually sparse and austere. In some ways, there is not a single superfluous note - the texture has been carefully pruned by the composer.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you watch one of my top two series, inside no. 9, one of the episodes (think the second) is filmed loud a silent movie, and the background music is Rach 2

Reactions: the sound of Tao

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
This recording in native dsd worth to be considered, Trifonov, Gergiev and Mariinsky Orchestra

Attachments

• D4DF150E-F276-4BDF-B27D-D26F92D14369.png
    D4DF150E-F276-4BDF-B27D-D26F92D14369.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing