What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
And to stay with files I like very much Symphonic Dances, a HRx recording from RR

Attachments

• 5C74E2ED-5CB9-44AF-886D-63E5A37D5623.png
    5C74E2ED-5CB9-44AF-886D-63E5A37D5623.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: NorthStar

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
And these are among most beautiful tunes of choral music I have on my server

Attachments

• 52E5149F-56CA-4A98-BA67-E4BD0F56710A.png
    52E5149F-56CA-4A98-BA67-E4BD0F56710A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Daniil Trifonov and Rachmaninov piano concertos 2 and 4...

View attachment 49877

He is assuredly an exciting and technically brilliant pianist and his sense of musical vision is clear and whole. He imbues this most bare almost minimal romantic 2nd piano concerto of Rachmaninov with a refined rhythmically very exact structure... my references are Richter and Ashkenazy but I find this reading most rewarding, both rich and marvellous. He owns this and Rachmaninov’s 2nd doesn’t leave many places for any poor technique to hide. Trifonov has nothing to hide here at all. The 2nd’s famous second movement is very much poetry... in some ways almost too perfect... but it is beautifully restrained and lilting and still again rhythmically marvellous.

The Rachmaninov 4 pairing is even stronger. It seems to resonate even more deeply for Trifonov. Polished, brilliant and touchingly romantic piano playing. This one speaks to the soul. Pretty marvellous technique and clear musical vision throughout really. While sometimes I find myself asking if the contemporary players do the romantic sufficiently romantic... but in the 4 there is more and with Trifonov technique is just never in question. He reaches more deeply here and he can also still be absolutely brilliant.

He is coming to Boston to play #3 followed by Shostakovich Symphony 15, I'm looking forward to it.

Andrea Lucchesini's Beethoven piano sonatas were my best music purchase from 2018; truly stunning performances and sound quality. Recorded live.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He is coming to Boston to play #3 followed by Shostakovich Symphony 15, I'm looking forward to it.

Andrea Lucchesini's Beethoven piano sonatas were my best music purchase from 2018; truly stunning performances and sound quality. Recorded live.

Then it will be the chamber arrangement for the 15th symphony, which is played by a trio with three percussionists. It should be fantastic

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Tonight Yuga Wang!
8C5EB9E0-48D2-40CE-B4DC-26E41F4DB388.jpeg
So avoiding the way too easy double entendre or disrespectfully playing with her name and just straight to the point Wang here is fairly wonderous.

Rachmaninov, Ligeti, Scriabin and Prokofiev makes for a lovely late romantic piano program and these are expressive and rich pieces. A recent upgrade on the caps on my horns is making great music even more so and now every session the essential quality of the music becomes even easier to engage with and also easier to discern. Much loving piano and the horns and thinking good things of Yuga Wang’s piano virtuosity at the very same time.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tonight Yuga Wang!
View attachment 49953
So avoiding the way too easy double entendre or disrespectfully playing with her name and just straight to the point Wang here is fairly wonderous.

Rachmaninov, Ligeti, Scriabin and Prokofiev makes for a lovely romantic piano program and these are expressive and rich pieces.

I like many performances of her but could not get any on vinyl. Pity.

Tang

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The last vivacious movement of Yuga Wang’s live performance of the Prokofiev war sonata 3 from the live Berlin Concert signed me on for more.

Now joined on stage by Leonidas Kavakos for Brahms Violin sonatas

94F3529E-6F9D-4058-955B-6AFD4076E68D.jpeg

They are in some ways rather the odd couple... Leonidas the thinking man’s platonist and Wang the designer chic piano chick... but appearances are deceiving and they do genuinely make very much great music together here.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I saw them do Brahms sonatas together. Superb. He is excellent. Think that performance was recorded by Decca at barbican

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Left for work this morning at 5am for a 2 and a half hour commute south on the freeway culminating in peak hour traffic congestion in Sydney before 8hrs on class... what to play in the car???

Time to pull out the ever inventive and sometimes utterly meditative Domenico Scarlatti.
0CEF007D-F7E5-4A97-8C49-A3B3D8E6E45F.jpeg

I try to listen to Scarlatti on harpsichord but I never last long. Purists be damned I love this on the piano. Vladimir Horowitz first won me over with his piano transcriptions of Scarlatti. I’d get lost in the listening it had such flow. Scarlatti was never quite as celebrated as some other Baroque giants like Bach and Handel.

I’ve tried other well reviewed performances like Mikail Pletnev but they never really captured that flow of consciousness quality that Horowitz had with this music. Cue Yevgeny Sudbin. His performances recall for me that amazing flow and the mesmerism. I played this album in the car this morning and even the freeway was a pain free zone. Time passed and I was utterly at peace by the time I got into the campus for work.

Playing a bit more Scarlatti again tonight at home on the Harbeth 40.2s with the SET. This music is just good for the soul.

Reactions: hvbias

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Left for work this morning at 5am for a 2 and a half hour commute south on the freeway culminating in peak hour traffic congestion in Sydney before 8hrs on class... what to play in the car???

Time to pull out the ever inventive and sometimes utterly meditative Domenico Scarlatti.
View attachment 50280

I try to listen to Scarlatti on harpsichord but I never last long. Purists be damned I love this on the piano. Vladimir Horowitz first won me over with his piano transcriptions of Scarlatti. I’d get lost in the listening it had such flow. Scarlatti was never quite as celebrated as some other Baroque giants like Bach and Handel.

I’ve tried other well reviewed performances like Mikail Pletnev but they never really captured that flow of consciousness quality that Horowitz had with this music. Cue Yevgeny Sudbin. His performances recall for me that amazing flow and the mesmerism. I played this album in the car this morning and even the freeway was a pain free zone. Time passed and I was utterly at peace by the time I got into the campus for work.

Playing a bit more Scarlatti again tonight at home on the Harbeth 40.2s with the SET. This music is just good for the soul.

This Scarlatti is beautiful. Thankyou.

Btw I also don't enjoy listening to harpsichord longer than one song even I have an excellent pressing for that.

Tang

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
38310214-A9E6-43DD-8EA4-2743241BEF9C.jpeg Death and the maiden. Schubert’s extraordinary musical expression at a time of realisation of his approaching death. Pavel Haas Quartet’s recording of this work is something I return to time and time again.

At times fierce and then beautifully haunting I find this intensely involving music making. The Allegreto, the final movement based on a tarantella is traditionally a dance to ward off madness and death. Passionate, touching and marvellous. I love Schubert and I especially love this performance.

3B33D739-6C16-4DEC-9EC5-AABD9811CB4E.jpeg

Last edited:

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

View attachment 50280

Purists be damned indeed, I make sure to let people know of my displeasure with harpsichord on the Hoffman classical threads when I can haha!

You should hear his Rachmaninoff solo disc if you haven't absolutely amazing performances of the Chopin Variations, just as good as Ashkenazy's. I really like his Scriabin disc as well.

So far only his most recent Beethoven disc has let me down.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -

View attachment 50280

Scarlatti is on harpsichord or nothing for me whereas I listen to Bach on both harpsichord and piano.

Give a try to Gustav Leonhardt (RCA SEON) or get the complete recording of the 555 sonatas by Scott Ross which is only available on CDs (Erato).

In the recent releases on harpsichord, Christian Holtz recorded a beautiful version of Scarlatti's fandango and a variety of sonatas (Editions Hortus).

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Purists be damned indeed, I make sure to let people know of my displeasure with harpsichord on the Hoffman classical threads when I can haha!

You should hear his Rachmaninoff solo disc if you haven't absolutely amazing performances of the Chopin Variations, just as good as Ashkenazy's. I really like his Scriabin disc as well.

So far only his most recent Beethoven disc has let me down.

Yes, I also enjoy Sudbin’s Medtner as well as the Scriabin. Will have a listen to the Chopin variations... many thanks for the pointer.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Scarlatti is on harpsichord or nothing for me whereas I listen to Bach on both harpsichord and piano.

Give a try to Gustav Leonhardt (RCA SEON) or get the complete recording of the 555 sonatas by Scott Ross which is only available on CDs (Erato).

In the recent releases on harpsichord, Christian Holtz recorded a beautiful version of Scarlatti's fandango and a variety of sonatas (Editions Hortus).

Hi ddc, over the years I’ve explored earlier music performed on original instruments and often appreciate it and can enjoy either that or modern instrument versions but for some reason the harpsichord still kind of eludes me so getting in all 555 Scarlatti sonatas on harpsichord might not be such a wise investment... strangely I can see how it could even make Scarlatti’s genius even more apparent... but I’d hit half way through a movement and I’d already be starting to get my thoughts on what music to go to next. It’s just a sonic thing... I think I like the comfort of the grand piano but do go fine with going the distance with the fortepiano.

Last edited:

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
My issue with Scarlatti on harpsichord is Scarlatti's keyboard music is sort of "homogeneous" then combine with an instrument that can't modulate dynamics and it makes it all sound even more similar. Subdin's "transcriptions" to piano are very intelligently done.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Sudbin’s reads on them are really deeply meditative... impossible to say but I feel that Scarlatti might have approved, well maybe at any rate. Imagine what Domenico Scarlatti could have done with a growly rich and fat B3 Hammond organ or Bach might have done with a Moog... have I gone too far?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Tonight Debussy and Poulenc cello and piano sonatas Jean-Guihen Queyras and Alexandre Tharaud.

Queyras seems to be renowned for taking liberties with tempi (as opposed to taking liberties with tempura) but I do rather like this music. The Poulenc is really fresh sounding and fascinating and I like a good bit of Debussy most anytime and most anywhere.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing