What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Why such a horrible picture? She was gorgeous. And this is classical music, why are these people playing Photoshop

The (ROH seems apt for your purposes) history of trouser roles should go far towards illuminating all of the tools being plied. Peter Pan being played by a woman is an approachable middle of the road political example predating the current PC atmosphere.

In short this is supposed to deal with trans (LGBT) rights. In a commercial setting sure to produce album sales and much attention outside the operatic world. She has been a campaigner to this end in previous physical staging's that are culminating in resolution to make this album.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
@marslo:

The fact is, that castrati were not "half men and half women" They were castrated boys who could not father children.

An image depicting Cecilia Bartoli wearing a beard is someone's less than brilliant "concept." Even if it was, perhaps, Ms. Bartoli's. Will it boost album sales? Will it prove to be a fashion trendsetter? Will men and women eventually prefer women with beards? chissà?

But of course, to each, his, her, or its own. And of course, it's all showbiz theatrics.

Now, back to my music.... :)

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019

Reactions: paolo

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
@marslo:

The fact is, that castrati were not "half men and half women" They were castrated boys who could not father children.

An image depicting Cecilia Bartoli wearing a beard is someone's less than brilliant "concept." Even if it was, perhaps, Ms. Bartoli's. Will it boost album sales? Will it prove to be a fashion trendsetter? Will men and women eventually prefer women with beards? chissà?

But of course, to each, his, her, or its own. And of course, it's all showbiz theatrics.

Now, back to my music.... :)
As cruel as it was the castration stopped the natural biological process to become a man, just to preserve the voice of young boys in the women range.

The artwork refers to the case of Conchita Wurst , the Austrian drag queen singer, the Eurovision award winner, to attract the public from non opera segment of the market and LGBT supporters.
It is a marketing approach, maybe of the bad taste indeed.
But if those who listen mainly to say JayZ will buy this album then Decca marketing people deserve a bonus, today mass culture is often of bad taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: paolo

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Via Tidal...

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
The (ROH seems apt for your purposes) history of trouser roles should go far towards illuminating all of the tools being plied. Peter Pan being played by a woman is an approachable middle of the road political example predating the current PC atmosphere. [...]

I thought it's a reference to castrato rather than en travesti. Actually, Bartoli's been toying with this kind of thing for a while. This is from 2017:

And this album was from 2009:

This one was also with Il Giardino Armonico and Giovanni Antonini. So this stuff is really nothing new.

Reactions: marslo

rando

Sep 22, 2019
So this stuff is really nothing new.

Bonzo asked. I gave a historical, followed by an exact, explanation concise enough to see this for her personal stamp on diva behavior. Certainly in the hopes this could be put to bed quickly among those who knew the answer.

Since that is not the case, I'll freshen up memory of "Saint Cecilia" the iconoclast.

All unjustly neglected composers of vocal music should pray that when the time comes for their discovery and resurrection, the person spearheading the effort will be Cecilia Bartoli. No other artist grabs her material by the throat and squeezes every drop of life out of it to quite the same exhilarating degree that Bartoli does. If she occasionally goes overboard in terms of breathless enthusiasm and muscled inflection...

The resurrectee in question here is Agostino Steffani (1654–1728), a nearly forgotten but influential early-Baroque opera composer. Steffani also had a significant career as a cleric and a diplomat, an angle of mystery that Decca is emphasizing in its aggressive marketing.

Last edited:
Reactions: marslo and paolo

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Rando: Thank you very much for the history lesson. I have learned much, and now have an even greater appreciation of Ms. Bartoli.

Reactions: rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Thank you, Paolo.

Picked up a couple of these two disc boxes on the off chance there was worth inside. Budget release sometimes means minimal packaging costs of high quality recording. Then again, someone could load the same program onto both correctly labeled discs. Only to be discovered 22 years later when someone finally buys it.

Thankfully that was not the case for this set of works played by Miklos Soanyi(Spanyi) on a Silbermann Organ. Worth every one of the 50¢.

51yozHLZA5L.jpg

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Telemann: Reformations-Oratorium 1755
Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Bayerische Kammerphilharmonie, Reinhard Goebel, et al.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Rando, you certainly"scored" with that CD set!

I'm listening to this- perfect music to go with a large mug of strong coffee on this drizzly, gray PNW morning.
I played decent clarinet and some other reed instruments when I was a lad but never good enough to make a career out of it. I like the tonalities and interpretations in this collection.

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 10.34.29 AM.png

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Streamed. Would tentatively agree with those across the aisle on validity of that choice here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing