What are you doing about EMI/RFI?

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
I use an combination of WUE 74271151S and WUE 74271222S.

Torben

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
You can purchase on Amazon. Just search for "mix 31 ferrite" and verify that the one you choose is mix 31. This ferrite blend suppresses a wider range of frequencies than typical ferrite mixes. The one I posted has 1/2" diameter but the come in a variety of sizes.

Got 10 today and spot treated areas where I felt contributed to the most noise. Fridge circuit, AC circuit, computer room, put one on the hepa air cleaner in the music room, and another on a fan in living room my wife uses.

The sound was much improved, most noticeable was the tone was more pure. Definitely a good step up. Will be ordering more soon.

Reactions: SlapEcho

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
has any of these mods been tested by non listening methods ?
less noise can be rolled off highs
has any testing been done before the psu and after
no mods and mods
I’ve done this and very little is made on the audio path with no mods. we get obsessed on mods but most including myself listen alone. The one place I can confirm any shielding matters is in a computer based process used for audio. We can’t really fix EMI aside of re direct it’s radiating pattern. RFI yea but does it matter everywhere
any ferrite used are tuned to freq it loads to lower
But this also affects current flow of high demands are needed.
A question do the beads at the panel feeders get hot ?

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
31mix beads on all lines except the 2 dedicated 20A lines for the system. Don't shoot it until you try it!
How did you end up with 4 filters per circuit? Trial and error? Any problems with more?

Reactions: antigrunge

SlapEcho

Dec 15, 2021
has any testing been done before the psu and after
no mods and mods
I’ve done this and very little is made on the audio path with no mods. we get obsessed on mods but most including myself listen alone. The one place I can confirm any shielding matters is in a computer based process used for audio. We can’t really fix EMI aside of re direct it’s radiating pattern. RFI yea but does it matter everywhere
any ferrite used are tuned to freq it loads to lower
I'm no expert so someone please feel free to speak up if I'm out of line.

- Personally by me? No, this was a trial an error done by pure listening experimentation methods.

- Yes, this can be the case with ferrite material placed on line level analog and on a/c lines coming in directly into equipment. When placed on "noisy" parallel lines I find it to be the exact opposite(more extended highs). The thought reasoning behind it was that in a typical household a/c lines placed throughout is kind of like a giant multipole antenna. Even though this antenna is being shunted to ground, there are trace amounts of RF induced currents that sensitive audio equipment can pick up(phono stages, D/A converters, etc...). Noisy household equipment can also add to the RF and EMI foray. Adding of the ferrite filters on all lines BUT the dedicated a/c lines going to the audio equipment is essentially adding a resistor that only functions at high frequencies at the base of each arm of this antenna so less RF and EMI noise from the home makes it to the dedicated audio a/c lines. This does not reduce noise coming from the street line into the home though.

- Not really. A/C lines with ferrite filters cause the A/C lines to get resistive only at filter frequencies(~100KHz to ?GHz), not near the typical 50/60Hz A/C feed range.

- No apparent temp change. Even though ferrite beads do dissipate the energy adsorbed at rated filtering frequencies as heat, I would guess you're not going to see conditions in a typical home that could measurably heat one. High currents at rated ferrite core filtering frequencies would be required, so instead of your incoming A/C feed running at 50/60Hz, it would need to run in the MHz range or have a device drawing this high current at high frequencies from your a/c lines.

Last edited:

audiopro92

Nov 25, 2023
Canada
RCA silicone caps on the unused inputs, well-shielded balanced interconnects, and of course keeping all cables short. As short as they can possibly be. Wi-Fi router is omnidirectional; slightly elevated on a base 9.5" above the floor and it is facing my office door. For power, my power conditioner takes care. - From an American company called Bantam Clean Power.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

audiopro92

Nov 25, 2023
Canada
I build with EMP harden devices on a piece of plywood as I wear my Grand Enlighten One of the Bavarian Illuminati of the United States official tin foil hat. It goes with the ring I can't wear while working on electronics.
View attachment 121534
You have a great sense of humor.

I recently bought some genuine shungite pyramids. The idea is they neutralize EMI and RFI. Apparently, high purity-stones of this variety can also purify water. I don't think the shungite will influence how my audio equipment sounds; since they are far from sources of contamination, such as a Wi-Fi router/unused inputs covered. Let's see if helps with my low energy levels. For the past few weeks I've been very tired (yawning during the day) and if it does make a difference, then we know EMI and RFI are the culprits. I still sleep 7-8 hours a day and eat healthy food/don't drink anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparkie

audiopro92

Nov 25, 2023
Canada
You have a great sense of humor.

I recently bought some genuine shungite pyramids. The idea is they neutralize EMI and RFI. Apparently, high purity-stones of this variety can also purify water. I don't think the shungite will influence how my audio equipment sounds; since they are far from sources of contamination, such as a Wi-Fi router/unused inputs covered. Let's see if helps with my low energy levels. For the past few weeks I've been very tired (yawning during the day) and if it does make a difference, then we know EMI and RFI are the culprits. I still sleep 7-8 hours a day and eat healthy food/don't drink anymore.

Shungite is for real.

I bought 4 shungite pyramids from Karelian Heritage on amazon. They also have a website: Karelian Heritage - Buy authentic shungite

I placed 3 of them around the office; and one in my bedroom.
a) 1 close to my laptop / work area.
b) 1 on top of my bookshelf (about 15 feet away from me)
c) 1 on top of my computer monitor stand and it's adjacent to the Wi-Fi router (9.5 inches above the floor on a mount).
d) 1 on my nightstand beside my smartphone charging station.

Earlier today, I was out for Christmas shopping. I spent about 4 hours shopping for family and friends.
I was exhausted and I felt like going to sleep after parking my car in the garage.

Upon returning home, I walked up the stairs, entered my office, and suddenly felt a surge of energy and a sense of calm/clarity. My mind instantly became refreshed as well.

I had no reservations or beliefs about the results. It all hit me like a gust of wind.
And my energy levels are back to normal. I'm actually being serious.

I definitely recommend shungite in a house; or strategically-placed in a listening room.

And the best part? it only cost me $47.99 CDN.

I'll probably buy more.

* I am in no way affiliated with Karelian Heritage *
Only found their store after doing some solid research.

- DMK

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing