What Brands of Cables to Fans of High-Efficiency Speakers Use? (Not Hi-fi Sounding!)

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
After trying too many speaker cables to remember, including many DIY efforts, on my 99db speakers, I settled on two Audio Note Litz cables—-SPx silver litz and ISIS copper Litz. They sound quite different and each has its good points relative to the other. I tend to listen with one set for a few weeks or months, then go to the other set for a change.

My internal speaker wiring is Audio Note Lexus copper Litz on the woofer and midrange horn, and SPx silver Litz on the HF horn.

FWIW, vintage WE (supposedly the real thing but who knows) and Duelund 16g were huge disappointments given all the buzz on the internet. They were each so colored that I couldn’t stand listening to them for more than a short session.

Reactions: Ed.P

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Hi Jack,

I'm actually testing the Duelund 16awg cable and struggling with it. Maybe it still needs to be broken in but I find it a bit bare bones and layering challenged.

david
Hello David,
Have you reached a verdict on that Duelund 16awg cable already?
Thank you.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hello David,
Have you reached a verdict on that Duelund 16awg cable already?
Thank you.
Hi Ilya,
Yes, I didn't like it I settled on some 18awg nondescript vintage tinned copper wire I got off ebay. Least colored most dynamic and a lot livelier than any modern wires I tried.
david

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I would echo the comment about Auditorium A23. Great speaker cables for small price. I use it with tube amps and very sensitive speakers (Avantgarde) for many years by now.
Nothing comes close. Many friends followed my choice over the years and dropped expensive cables.
I am not a dealer or industry representative and have no connection to Auditorium.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Hi Ilya,
Yes, I didn't like it I settled on some 18awg nondescript vintage tinned copper wire I got off ebay. Least colored most dynamic and a lot livelier than any modern wires I tried.
david
Thank you David,
could you share what is that you didnt like about Duelund?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thank you David,
It has a heavy coloration ie identifiable character ie not natural sound. Specifically it homogenized the signal and made the speakers sound bland and soulless. Are your new speakers wired with the Duelund?

david

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thank you David,

It has a heavy coloration ie identifiable character ie not natural sound. Specifically it homogenized the signal and made the speakers sound bland and soulless. Are your new speakers wired with the Duelund?

david

I agree with this. I tested Dueland DCA16GA as a speaker cable. It does bring a certain character of sameness to all sound that I perceived as a touch of warmth / blur that dampens tone color, maybe a wee bit of upper frquency taming. It's kinda between okay and meh. This was between Lamm and Wison. Not high efficiency speakers.

Reactions: ddk

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014

david
No, but i use them as speaker cables.
maybe you could guide me in the right direction?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
maybe you could guide me in the right direction?
I’ll be visiting Bobby in a couple of weeks best is stop by and see what you have and go from there.

david

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
As you are US I would recommend having a conversation with DaveC of this parish.

Another recommendation would be the buy to try 30 day return policy Fidelium ribbon speaker cables , I have heard them performing very well on two AG systems and two DIY horn systems.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I’ll be visiting Bobby in a couple of weeks best is stop by and see what you have and go from there.

david
That’s excellent
Looking forward

Reactions: ddk

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
When this thread was resurrected last week, I read it with particular interest as I had just ordered a pair of Duelund DCA12GA-based cables for my Avantgarde Duo XD speakers.

I was introduced to this cable by way of recommendations here and on other forums, but Jim Smith's contribution on another thread suggested 12 gauge rather than the thinner 16 gauge. From comments above, this seems good advice.

Well, the cables arrived today, made up as combined cable and jumper and I'm pleased with the way Nick at HiFiCollective has done the job. Sound-wise, nothing to report yet as no doubt they may need a bit of running in, but certainly no cause for concern at this stage. The previous cables were Cabledyne Reference Silver that I thought may not be ideal for Avantgardes. I also have a pair of Swiss-made Gotham Coax cables (2 x 2.5 mm2 copper) that are a strange construction but sound pretty good. I hope the switch to Duelund won't be a disappointment!

Sep 10, 2022
I highly recommend reaching out and checking out Daves offerings at zenwave audio he can mail demo cables. i just recently went through an exhaustive multi month comparison of cables from wireworld , shunyata , audence , cardas , purist , acoustic revive , acoustic zen to name the ones i remember. I chose zenwave DSR , D4 and D5 interconnects , SCR speaker cables PCR power cables and Clear bass cables , im currently waiting on Demos of Daves SSR silver ribbon, S4 and S5 speaker cables and PSR silver ribbon power cables to also try in a few of my systems. I have all high efficiency horn loaded speakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
I’m running Audio Envy SP-11 into my Klipsch Heresy IV’s. Excellent clarity but not thin.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I agree with this. I tested Dueland DCA16GA as a speaker cable. It does bring a certain character of sameness to all sound that I perceived as a touch of warmth / blur that dampens tone color, maybe a wee bit of upper frquency taming. It's kinda between okay and meh. This was between Lamm and Wison. Not high efficiency speake

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I suspect that Jeff Day at PFO has more experience with Duelund tinned copper cables and high efficiency speakers than anyone else on the planet. As speaker cables with my 89db Bache speakers DCA12GA was more balanced and natural sounding than DCA16GA. All of the Duelund tinned copper wires take a long time to break in, and need some additional run-in if they aren't played for a while. DCA20GA sounded more balanced and natural as interconnects in my system than DCA16GA. However the DCA16GA was superbly balanced and natural sounding, and superior to the DCA20GA when used for internal rewiring of the wide band drivers (I used DCA12GA to the woofers) in my Bache speakers.

FYI:

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeotrope

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
What are the least hifi-sounding cables? (I know a number of guys with big, inefficient box speakers and big SS amps use Cardas. But those are too syrypy for my tastes. Defeats the purpose of a high efficiency system.)
Echole and Hemingway Audio make the most natural/least hifi sounding cables I've heard.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Carrying on from discussions on Tang’s thread regarding cheap pro cables.

Quick summary from my end. I took Tang’s advice and bought Gotham GAC 4 interconnects. These are star quad with double shield. Sounds deadly silent and very even / balanced.

Question is then - what pro speaker cables offer same characteristics and suitable for horns? Shielding needed or not?

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Carrying on from discussions on Tang’s thread regarding cheap pro cables.

Quick summary from my end. I took Tang’s advice and bought Gotham GAC 4 interconnects. These are star quad with double shield. Sounds deadly silent and very even / balanced.

Question is then - what pro speaker cables offer same characteristics and suitable for horns? Shielding needed or not?
I have Gotham GAC-SPK 2 x 2.5 mm2 coax speaker cables. Interesting construction with one pole line using the 2 inner cores of 1.25 mm" each and the other using the surrounding braid screen. All conductors consist of 0.25 mm2 pure copper and the construction ends with both poles being 2.5 mm" made up from 50 strands

Recently purchased (after recommendations here and other forums and endorsed by Jim Smith) a pair of Duelund DCA12GA-based cables. These are tinned copper in oil and cotton. Not had long enogh to comment usefully.

My third pair are Cabledyne Refernce Silver. Solid silver, rather stiff and inflexible but a well-priced cable if silver takes your fancy, although I believe they are no longer in business.

All these cables were bought after rave recommendation on various forums and quite a bit of research. I'm not a fan of very costly cables and frankly I hear little difference in sound between my own 3 pairs or others costing much more. I’m using the Duelunds at present – nothing to criticise them on. Peter

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I have Gotham GAC-SPK c x 2.5 mm2 coax speaker cables. Interesting construction with pole line using the 2 inner cores of 1.25 mm" and the other using the surrounding braid screen. All conductors consist of 0.25 mm2 pure copper and the construction ends with both poles being 2.5 mm" made up from 50 strands

Recently purchased (after recommendations here and other forums and endorsed by Jim Smith) a pair of Duelund DCA12GA-based cables. These are tinned copper in oil and cotton. Not had long enogh to comment usefully.

My third pair are Cabledyne Refernce Silver. Solid silver, rather stiff and inflexible but a well-priced cable if silver takes your fancy, although I believe they are no longer in business.

All these cables were bought after rave recommendation on various forums and quite a bit of research. I'm not a fan of very costly cables and frankly I hear little difference in sound between my own 3 pairs or others costing much more. I’m using the Duelunds at present – nothing to criticise them on. Peter

Thanks!

I have also the Duelands - been using for a while now. Got 16GA and 12GA. Also some older vintage WE tinned copper wire in 10GA.

I might try the shielded Mogami or Gotham just out of curiosity and also cos I am using field coils so can’t harm having that extra shield on it I guess.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing