What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Anyone using a Lyra Etna Lambda? Opinions appreciated. I have a Kleos that could use a rebuild in the next year or two. I’m thinking getting on the list for a trade in/upgrade may take a year.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
ong term reference Dynavector XV-1s fitted to the SME 3012-R. sounds beautifully rich but still dynamic and detailed.

4cwoeHi.jpg

gt0Hd3j.jpg

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Speaking of Dynavector, this gentleman is well known for apparently excellent (no first hand experience) Dynavector rebuilds.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried his own cartridge creations?

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I have tried the VAS Denon mods and retips. I found that Andy at Expert Stylus's work sounds better. Just my experience. I've purchased many other things from VAS but not one of his cartridges.

I use a Denon DL103R in a Malachite body fully modified by AnaMighty Sound in France. Using it for 9 months now and I'm thrilled!

Reactions: Tlay

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I have tried the VAS Denon mods and retips. I found that Andy at Expert Stylus's work sounds better. Just my experience. I've purchased many other things from VAS but not one of his cartridges.

I use a Denon DL103R in a Malachite body fully modified by AnaMighty Sound in France. Using it for 9 months now and I'm thrilled!
@bonzo75 has good things to say about the Anamighty cart.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@bonzo75 has good things to say about the Anamighty cart.

Yes, and @dcc has heard it too.

They have variations but the model I heard was just the cleanest, transparent, agile cart with great musicality. However it was low output abd tough impedance and required a current phono like their own one that I heard it through. Very reasonably priced.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Yes, and @dcc has heard it too.

They have variations but the model I heard was just the cleanest, transparent, agile cart with great musicality. However it was low output abd tough impedance and required a current phono like their own one that I heard it through. Very reasonably priced.
And retips/rebuilds are very reasonable as well so you aren't dropping big money every few years.

Reactions: bonzo75

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
ZYX Ultimate 4D option SB2 0.24 mV...
Another sound than my previous Audio-Technica ART9...
ZYX has :
- better bass ( I must activate subsonic filter)
- better vocal
- better 3D
I listen vinyl with my ZYX and I listen "CD" with my ART9....If I can say that...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Speaking of Dynavector, this gentleman is well known for apparently excellent (no first hand experience) Dynavector rebuilds.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried his own cartridge creations?

I certainly would not have a re tipper re tip my Dynavector xv-1s. It will no longer be a Dynavector and resale value much lower.
Prefer to use the trade in allowance and get a new one.

Reactions: mtemur and pcosta

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Totally get what you’re saying about the ART9!
With the Technics SL-1000R, the ART-9 sounds like a CD.
With the VPI Classic 3, the ART-9 sounds like a vinyl.
I have two ART-9...and I prefer now the ZYX Ultimate 4D...with the Technics SL-1000R...This last combination are in a great synergy.
ZYX Ultimate 4D...with the Technics SL-1000R beats easily my Esoteric K-03XS with my Mark Levinson N360S....
Even with ZYX Ultimate 4D...with the Technics SL-1000R, the introduction 'Money for nothing' has more bass than the CD or SACD...

Lardawg

Apr 19, 2022
Audio Technica AT150SA

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
Just switched for a ZYX Fuji to a Lyra Delos.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
Reactions: hongkongfoufou

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
With the Technics SL-1000R, the ART-9 sounds like a CD.
With the VPI Classic 3, the ART-9 sounds like a vinyl.
Then Technics SL-1000R is a better turntable than VPI (IMHO).
ZYX Ultimate 4D...with the Technics SL-1000R beats easily my Esoteric K-03XS with my Mark Levinson N360S....
IME Esoteric drives play incredibly analytical and detailed and cause listening fatigue. I assume it’s been a good, balancing match with dark character of Mark Levinson dac.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Then Technics SL-1000R is a better turntable than VPI (IMHO).

IME Esoteric drives play incredibly analytical and detailed and cause listening fatigue. I assume it’s been a good, balancing match with dark character of Mark Levinson dac.
The sound of the ML 360S is better defined than the Esoteric. Voices are beautiful and warmer. The sound stages are better spaced and better defined. The position of singers, choirs and instruments are excellent, especially on Gospel music or bands with brass like Earth Wind and Fire or Brian Setzer and his orchestra.

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing