What do you think of this video

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

No the above mentioned orchestral tape certainly aint my personal favorite after all

My favorite orchestral tape is still a 7,5 ips /per 525 tape (also a one of a kind recording afaik ).
I bought this tape from a renowned dutch recording engineer .
It was recorded on a telefunken M 15 A back up tape machine , hence the low 7.5 ips tape speed , its taken from a live broadcast recording
It can easily rival the SM 900, 911, 468 studio tapes on 15 ips ime , the recording quality is more important then the tape format / speed .

Ps He also said he never liked to use the studers ( A 80 ) on live recordings but prefered the telefunkens as being more reliable .

Very nice. Both on your part and on the dutch recoridng engineer's. Seems very open, airy, natural, etc, etc. Do you really hear a difference with that blue towel covering much of your gorgeous fireplace?

:) I dont really know , i just thought some absorption would nt hurt, by the way its not a towel its a handmade peruvian blanket :D
Its actually covering up a samsung TV , not the fire place , i like to listen to documentaries / movies through the stereo system as well .
Its a maison d maitre 1900 s style appartment with 3.5 meter high ceilings , it might add to the airy sound

Reactions: SeagoatLeo
Beautiful! This is the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Easy to tell. I've played it hundreds of times, and nobody's version sounds like the Chicago's. It's a mesmerizing performance. I've heard it live: just wish I'd heard it by them. On a good system, one feels like one is holding one's breath though the entire four movements.

Reactions: andromedaaudio
:) I dont really know , i just thought some absorption would nt hurt, by the way its not a towel its a handmade peruvian blanket :D
Its actually covering up a samsung TV , not the fire place , i like to listen to documentaries / movies through the stereo system as well .
Its a maison d maitre 1900 s style appartment with 3.5 meter high ceilings , it might add to the airy sound
It's wise not to have any reflective surfaces between the speakers, so, good move. I had a friend whose LCD was between the speakers when I first gave him a system. When I put a towel over it, he objected. I just told him to be quiet and listen to it (he had a minor in music in college). He heard the difference instantly. Now he won't listen to his system without a blanket or towel or something over the LCD.

I have finished cherry plywood between my speakers. I've tried absorption devices but they rob the sound of dynamics and interest. I use Synergistic Research HFTs to tune the room (with a double pair of Hallographs). The walls are all 16" thick custom engineered designed with activated charcoal filters built-in (no drywall anywhere). The only other option would be quadradic diffusion panels. I hate to have anything behind or between my speakers though. The sound is great!

I have tried many different set ups , but i like the fire place between the speakers in this situation.
In this way you have symmetrical side walls.

Last edited:
Stehno, could you turn the lights on for just one of your videos. Even a stiil photo of the room would be great. It’s all just so mysterious.

Reactions: andromedaaudio
Stehno, could you turn the lights on for just one of your videos. Even a stiil photo of the room would be great. It’s all just so mysterious.
20210306 Listening room.jpg

B&W Playback System - 2020.jpg

Sure, Peter. Well, actually this is as good as it's gonna' get at least until I tidy up a bit as I don't want you seein' my junk - if you know what I mean.

Not much to see anyway as this room is our former kitchen. Used to have great views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson through the windows now behind the rather large projector screen, errr, ummmm acoustic treatment panel, on the front wall. :)

Reactions: PeterA
Digital you tube shoot out .

XPË loudspeakers/ tubes / digital versus Boulder 3000 series / vivaldi digital/ XLF

Same version of Stevie vaughans tin pan alley

I don't know how many got round to listening to this but guess the size of this speaker
I watched for a few minutes and thought the sound was not special sort of like listening ear buds. So they were from those Cessaro little speakers?

I don't know how many got round to listening to this but guess the size of this speaker

Excessive, sharp highs, nasty on the massed strings from about 2 min onward, hollow coloration on the brass, restricted dynamics . Size of speaker anyone's guess. Large speakers can also sound restricted in dynamics, whereas monitors can sound very dynamic, depending.

While speaker size is uncertain, one thing is pretty likely, the size of the mic that was recording the video is small, smaller than an actually good mike. I assume it's a phone mic.

Last edited:
It sounds fairly good in many ways but there is something about it that I don't like, and I'm not completely sure why. Speaker size? I dunno.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing