What do you think of this video

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

Btw the 400 tone is substantially better. Not as good as Anima on the things mentioned in previous post but quite better than the 250

I'm not arguing gear or setup just what I hear in these two videos.

david

Heard again oh wow the 400 is so much better. The 250 is softening up fake. No bloom no contrast
Never said it was perfect. I don't know what you mean by contrast because for me the 400 video is flat, only loud and shouty. How can you have contrast without intonation?

david

David, the contrast and rise and fall of the notes, which leads to intonation, is what I found better in the 400

Guys - intonation in music means whether or not something is in tune or not / accurate in pitch.

This rise / fall definition is about the spoken voice and relates to things such as going up when we ask a question.

Reactions: sujay and Hieukm
Guys - intonation in music means whether or not something is in tune or not / accurate in pitch.

This rise / fall definition is about the spoken voice and relates to things such as going up when we ask a question.

Pitch too I prefer the 400. It just sounds more right immediately on the start of the violin, as if it is in tune. And then notes as they stand relative to one another, contrasting, rising, falling, all seem just right compared to the 250. The high and the low pitch if right will lead to better contrast

Reactions: Hieukm
Pitch too I prefer the 400. It just sounds more right immediately on the start of the violin, as if it is in tune. And then notes as they stand relative to one another, contrasting, rising, falling, all seem just right compared to the 250

Pitch is identical between the recordings because they are digital. It is impossible to prefer the “pitch” of one of these recordings. If you had a savagely inaccurate TT with monumental wow and flutter it would be possible to prefer the pitch.

Here are my comments on the two later videos with the YG speakers. I prefer the one shot at night. It is a bit ironic, but that one is freer, more graceful, lighter, with more feeling and emotions. The one shot during the day sounds darker and heavier. It is less nuanced, and has starker contrasts. One is Justine Henin with her variety, grace, and nuanced strokes, patiently working the point for advantage, while the other is Serena Williams trying to crush every shot with her sledge hammer, and screaming while doing so.

The one at night sounds more like what I imagine hearing from a great conductor leading his musicians deeply involved with interpreting the music in a live setting. The audience is silent, lost in connectedness. The other one presents the musicians simply playing the notes on the score. This kind of music is about conjuring up emotions and conveying greatness.

If the only difference between the videos is the time of day, length of the shot, and the amplifier used in the system, it seems that these two phone videos are capable of capturing some differences, and can therefore be useful in these discussions. I find the differences of opinion, particularly between Bonzo and ddk, quite interesting and illustrative of how we can differently value particular sonic attributes.

Pitch is identical between the recordings because they are digital. It is impossible to prefer the “pitch” of one of these recordings. If you had a savagely inaccurate TT with monumental wow and flutter it would be possible to prefer the pitch.

Ok fine, I see what you mean. So where is the contrast difference coming from, irrespective of which one you prefer

Peter, this is an audio forum. Which is by night and which is by day, can't see. The one posted by Hieukm first is which, and by me next is which

Ok fine, I see what you mean. So where is the contrast difference coming from, irrespective of which one you prefer

I think the contrast is coming from the current hungry YGs being driven with guts and zest with the M400, which yields the additional life, drama and dynamic swings you can clearly hear. The distortion profiles of the 2 D’Ag amps might be partly giving the change in tone we can hear too. The tone will change if the smaller amp is clipping with those hard crescendos due to large increases in distortion.

Best.

Reactions: Hieukm and bonzo75
Yes the effortlessness will definitely come with greater power for a speaker like YG

He is not using a preamp. This might be the reason two dagostino amps have such a big difference. It will be interesting to check if he gets a preamp in the middle

Peter, this is an audio forum. Which is by night and which is by day, can't see. The one posted by Hieukm first is which, and by me next is which

Bonzo, just look at your post #67. It is clear which video is filmed at night and which is filmed during the day. I simply put on some headphones and clicked on the two videos in our post. I can see the images on my computer as I listen.

I am just describing what I hear from the two videos and the visual distinction is clear. I don't care about which amp is which in what video, or what one the other members pick as their favorite. Frankly, all the talk about amps is confusing to me. I like the video filmed at night that shows the dark sky through the curtains and the large window on the front wall behind the system for the reasons I stated.

Never said it was perfect. I don't know what you mean by contrast because for me the 400 video is flat, only loud and shouty. How can you have contrast without intonation?

david

I get what you're saying but the problem is the 250 is also boringly sterile too - not captivating. It's a lose-lose for me personally.

Reactions: ddk
Many here do not think phone videos of music systems tell us anything, and yet, here we are discussing the differences between two amps, both designed by the same guy, based on nothing more than what we are hearing on two phone videos. Strange times in which we are living.

Al M. came over last night and we played Scheherazade because I have become more interested in the music after watching so many of Kedar's videos with this music. We happened to listen to the Zubin Mehta/LA interpretation on Decca. Perhaps later I will play my reissue of the Reiner/CSO. I like the videos because they help us to share music selections with fellow audiophiles and give us just a little bit more context about what our friends hear in their systems.

It's part of the fun. I find a lot of posts do not tell me anything either, at least the video helps put words into a context. Even many hifi show rooms are a waste of time. No one is comparing this to properly set up gear. The good thing with videos is you can sometimes get a few videos of the same system over time like Tang's, that help better understand the changes, and you can also check with the poster if what you hear in the video is reflected in the room, instead of assuming it is. I find the latter helps a lot in clarifying things sometimes. The danger of videos is that unfortunately some people treat it as a proper audition

Reactions: Folsom
It's part of the fun. I find a lot of posts do not tell me anything either, at least the video helps put words into a context. Even many hifi show rooms are a waste of time. No one is comparing this to properly set up gear. The good thing with videos is you can sometimes get a few videos of the same system over time like Tang's, that help better understand the changes, and you can also check with the poster if what you hear in the video is reflected in the room, instead of assuming it is. I find the latter helps a lot in clarifying things sometimes. The danger of videos is that unfortunately some people treat it as a proper audition

There is another danger, it seems to me: the sharing of a video privately which is then posted publicly. What if the original sender was only asking a friend for an opinion but had no intention of the video being put out there to be discussed on a forum? Now suddenly, people are forming opinions about a system, rightly or wrongly, when the sender never intended that to happen. It is also a risk when inviting people over to hear the system for the first time. One never knows what impressions will then be shared publicly without the host knowing. Some care, some don't. It is a risky business for those who do.

Reactions: christoph and ddk
There is another danger, it seems to me: the sharing of a video privately which is then posted publicly. What if the original sender was only asking a friend for an opinion but had no intention of the video being put out there to be discussed on a forum? Now suddenly, people are forming opinions about a system, rightly or wrongly, when the sender never intended that to happen. It is also a risk when inviting people over to hear the system for the first time. One never knows what impressions will then be shared publicly without the host knowing. Some care, some don't. It is a risky business for those who do.

Why will this not happen when you somebody visits you and he puts out comments without the video? I really don't see any difference in the two scenarios. At least video will accompany comments. It never happens someone puts out only the video. Video + comments > only comments

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing