What do you think of this video

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

DG has a series of John Williams & Vienna Philharmonic videos of his concerts. I don't think any orchestra could play any better than Vienna Phil. Just superb. And Listen to that Hall. One day after Covid I will make a visit. So many modern classical recordings I found on youtube want me to do digital.

You have a good transport, just get the Lampi n the Mooks ,

You have a good transport, just get the Lampi n the Mooks ,

Digital streaming is key because irrespective of where what's best discussions about analog vs digital and streaming vs CD player go, there is no system better than what Mani does in which you can just go to your room, and start streaming whatever the heck you want. You want to discover 10 versions of Beethoven's concerto, you can do that at your fingertips. You want to listen to the black Sabbath lyrics David wrote about, you can do that. You can jump between playlists and follow a random order on the spur of the moment

After all, apart from the gear and what's best hobby, I believe any owner on the days his gear itch is not kicking in, just wants to play more music rather than optimizing it every time. That's why I just don't get it when people who think analog is best (which is fine), do not have a streaming solution, or people want to get up, find the CD or the LP, and change it. They are highly restricting the amount of music they can access.

As per the recent maturity discussion, Mani is the most mature that despite having three TTs, thoress phono, and a few thousand LPs, he chooses to run Roon to have music at finger tips because that is finally what daily life is about. Sure he goes to the other extreme that he does not have vinyl in his main system, but you will find that people who have both invariably end up listening to streamed digital as a higher percentage even where they accept their analog is sonically superior

Some may describe it as the race to the bottom?
If it didn't sound any good, yes.

Ked has heard many systems, and is an avid concert goer. I suspect he'd say that my purely streaming system sounds very satisfying. Could it sound even better with a good analogue source? Maybe. But that's not how I'm listening to music nowadays.

Mani.

DG has a series of John Williams & Vienna Philharmonic videos of his concerts. I don't think any orchestra could play any better than Vienna Phil. Just superb. And Listen to that Hall. One day after Covid I will make a visit. So many modern classical recordings I found on youtube want me to do digital.

I have perfect seat tickets for original StarWars movie with live orchestra playing soundtrack.... pushed out till next year :(

Digital streaming is key because irrespective of where what's best discussions about analog vs digital and streaming vs CD player go, there is no system better than what Mani does in which you can just go to your room, and start streaming whatever the heck you want. You want to discover 10 versions of Beethoven's concerto, you can do that at your fingertips. You want to listen to the black Sabbath lyrics David wrote about, you can do that. You can jump between playlists and follow a random order on the spur of the moment

After all, apart from the gear and what's best hobby, I believe any owner on the days his gear itch is not kicking in, just wants to play more music rather than optimizing it every time. That's why I just don't get it when people who think analog is best (which is fine), do not have a streaming solution, or people want to get up, find the CD or the LP, and change it. They are highly restricting the amount of music they can access.

As per the recent maturity discussion, Mani is the most mature that despite having three TTs, thoress phono, and a few thousand LPs, he chooses to run Roon to have music at finger tips because that is finally what daily life is about. Sure he goes to the other extreme that he does not have vinyl in his main system, but you will find that people who have both invariably end up listening to streamed digital as a higher percentage even where they accept their analog is sonically superior

So once you have a system, Ked, is it going to include streaming so that it is, per your criteria, mature?

Reactions: zerostargeneral
So once you have a system, Ked, is it going to include streaming so that it is, per your criteria, mature?

Of course. It will be the base. Analog will be luxury to play some quality LPs I have and to scratch the itch. It is now impractical for those who have not already collected large quantities of originals to justify analog, even if they can spend on quality gear, unless their objective is to listen to the same music on a few good LPs over and over

If it didn't sound any good, yes.

Ked has heard many systems, and is an avid concert goer. I suspect he'd say that my purely streaming system sounds very satisfying. Could it sound even better with a good analogue source? Maybe. But that's not how I'm listening to music nowadays.

Mani.
Dear Mani, Ked,

Most people when talk digital will also talk what kind of music file sounds better, what ethernet cable, anti vibration platform, footers, grounding, server, etc. I don't see you mention much of these things. Do you two not giving importance to these things or you assume that readers like me should already know what to use. When Ked talk digital with me his focus has mostly been on the Lampi, matching gain and using the matching tube. He doesn't care if it is cd, Tidal, Roon, DSD, exotic server, etc. What is your take on this.

Of course. It will be the base. Analog will be luxury to play some quality LPs I have and to scratch the itch. It is now impractical for those who have not already collected large quantities of originals to justify analog, even if they can spend on quality gear, unless their objective is to listen to the same music on a few good LPs over and over

That sounds reasonable.

I am a different type of listener. Apart from not wanting to spend on great streaming, for me CD is also good because I tend to listen to the music over and over in order to really get to know it. Streaming would distract me from this. If I find something on YouTube, also perhaps inspired by postings on WBF, I buy the CD and listen to it many times before moving on to something else. It keeps me grounded in the way that suits me how I listen to music. Hey, I even have Haydn box sets of his 104 symphonies, 62 piano sonatas (both sets the complete works) and 27 of his string quartets that I have listened to only between 2/5, 1/5 and 1/2 of yet, respectively, but then most pieces that I did listen to I listened to at least 3 times, mostly much more often than that. I love slowly exploring these pieces.

If I were a different kind of listener, always on the hunt for something new, or enjoying to explore, let's say, 5 different interpretations of the same piece, yes, then streaming would be for me.

It depends on what kind of listener you are. This is not a matter of a system only being mature with streaming or not. Again, for me personally, streaming would be a distraction more than a help, musically. For others, it will be a great enrichment.

Last edited:
Reactions: hvbias and asiufy
That sounds reasonable.

I am a different type of listener. Apart from not wanting to spend on great streaming, for me CD is also good because I tend to listen to the music over and over in order to really get to know it. Streaming would distract me from this.
If I were a different kind of listener, always on the hunt for something new, or enjoying to explore, let's say, 5 different interpretations of the same piece, yes, then streaming would be for me.

I have no evidence for the bolded in my search, and don't see myself unable to listen to music over and over while streaming. Also, assuming that you were correct and you couldn't listen to streaming over and over, I simply do not see why you would take out the option to explore new music via streaming, since you have bought CDs of what you want to listen over and over anyway.

ps: your listening habit is very similar to your debating habit, arguing same things over and over, instead of exploring new stuff :)

Reactions: KeithR
Dear Mani, Ked,

Most people when talk digital will also talk what kind of music file sounds better, what ethernet cable, anti vibration platform, footers, grounding, server, etc. I don't see you mention much of these things. Do you two not giving importance to these things or you assume that readers like me should already know what to use. When Ked talk digital with me his focus has mostly been on the Lampi, matching gain and using the matching tube. He doesn't care if it is cd, Tidal, Roon, DSD, exotic server, etc. What is your take on this.

Hi, I have tried Lampi with transports like various Esoterics, MSB, Nagra, CEC TLo, as well as weaker ones like Sony, Oppo, Panasonic CD player. I have tried also with Aurender, LDMS, Auralic Aries, SGM 2015, 432Hz and Lampi server.

The most important factor was always the getting the Lampi and the match with downstream components right as long as the transport was good. So if you had Oppo, you would lose a lot of punch, drive, stage. A streamer like Auralic Aries would add a lot of digititis. I am quite happy with streamers and the ones I had liked were Aurender and the LDMS. I haven't heard Extreme, Antipodes, Innuous. I keep focus on Lampi because apart from the fact that streamers keep evolving quickly, I believe if I wanted to it would be easy to find the right one once my Lampi is set up. if you got Extreme, for example, you would use the software Emile was recommending.

I must say all my previous experiences I found quality of Tidal inferior to files and CDs. The two places I could enjoy Tidal were Mani's and heihei's (with LDMS and Lampi, but at his the Lampi was brilliantly matched downstream). Would files or CDs have been better, probably.

Using footers and grounding and cables with it is like using (or not using) those for any other component in your system - phono, pre, etc

Not really, I support many SS, cone, and planar systems. Just not the likes of Wilson and Magico

Where did I get the sense you strongly advocate for horns?

Over and over.

Could it be from your posts?

Ah c'mon Bonzo, it was funny.

ps: your listening habit is very similar to your debating habit, arguing same things over and over, instead of exploring new stuff :)

That's just hilarious :D. On the contrary, the diversity of my musical tastes is far greater than that of most -- and includes a lot of avantgarde, or even just modestly modern composers like Bartok, that you abhor, my friend. The diversity of my musical knowledge is also greater than that of most. Because I actually know the music I am listening to. And I know it because I listen to it multiple times -- over and over, in your words. Unless you're a genius -- perhaps you are one, Ked? -- you can't actually know a piece from listening to it once, especially if it has some complexity. You think I could write on classical music, in some of my posts that you "liked" (e.g., on Bruckner or Mahler), the way I do if I had just superficial knowledge?

You also should be more open to exploring new stuff musically than you are, Ked. Perhaps some more Bartok, to start with, and going on from there? Expand your horizons, man!

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

I'm late to the party but thought this video sounded very good. I didn't hear anything nasal until the brass appeared. I thought the strings were very detailed and woodwinds very nice... the lower midrange / low end was murky.

I'm playing back on my audio computer (RME Fireface 400 -> active Focal monitors).

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing