What does it mean when people describe Digital as Sounding like "Analog"? Best term?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No one says he his neutral - it is impossible to be neutral in these subjects. As any one should know in psycho-acoustics affairs the only consensus of neutrality is statistical, something that is not possible as we are a too small community. His points are clearly explained, we should be able to debate them without questioning his expertise.

His points are clearly explained: this brings me to the question if any of the detractors has read his interview yet.

For convenience, here is the link again:

https://www.spiritofturtle.com/inte...f-in-copper-magazine-issue-65/?v=796834e7a283

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
when you guys come up with the access to this separate dimension where digital has more information than analog send me a link to that.

in my dimension it's just not like that.

and i keep trying to listen to measurements but somehow they can't really make music. so they are besides the point.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i suppose my 30,000 albums of music are all lying too. my 7.1.4 channels of Dolby Atmos high rez in my home theater can't compete with my 2 channels of analog either.

maybe there is an alternate definition of "information"?

appears to indicate what tells you more about what happened would be more information. yep, thought so.

Logical conclusion - you assembled and tailored a great system to make analog sound at its best and have a very large music collection. Congratulations!

BTW information in this subject is related to the capability of conveying data describing facts and also our ability to decode it. People write books on what is information, do not expect to find answers in dictionaries. And no, again, it is not a competition , but properly used your home theater carries more information than your analog stereo ... ;)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

No one says he his neutral - it is impossible to be neutral in these subjects. As any one should know in psycho-acoustics affairs the only consensus of neutrality is statistical, something that is not possible as we are a too small community. His points are clearly explained, we should be able to debate them without questioning his expertise.

Going to facts - although I asked several times, no one ever referred to an LP having the quality and complexity of my favorite Savall "Routes de l'Esclavage" or an LP of Shostakovitch 5th or 8th carrying the same unadulterated information as for example, the Haitink digital versions.

yes; i have..........game, set, match to this analog Mstislav Rostropovitch recording......among many others. digital cannot pull off this level of magic.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/msb-select-ii-arrival.23302/page-18#post-457567

or this 45rpm pressing of the Peter Maag Mendelssohn Scotch Symphony........string textures, again, digital cannot dream about.

https://elusivedisc.com/mendelssohn-symphony-no-3-numbered-limited-edition-180g-45rpm-2lp/

and i love all the Savall's btw. and agree they are among the very best of digital. i have many of them in high rez.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Well perhaps the recording engineer in that interview hasn't heard top vinyl playback, but I suppose he has compared analog tape and digital in his studio system, i.e., under identical conditions.

Regardless, the interview is an interesting read.
Al, from the 4 year i was part owner in a commercial recording studio i have come to realize that engineers/producers are a different breed of people.They have excellent ears but a totally different mindset, most do not care about “natural” or recreating an event, they like to manipulate sound to their liking. Big sound, round bass, compressors that dirty up certain tracks on a recording is more interesting to them, and a good master is often given its final listen in a shitty car stereo. These people love digital recording for its cut and paste convenience, running the same 20 seconds again and again adding on effects voice overs and extra instruments to make it sound different or catchy. Natural and recreation of real events is rarely on the Radar (Random Access Digital Audio Recorder) system.;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al, from the 4 year i was part owner in a commercial recording studio i have come to realize that engineers/producers are a different breed of people.They have excellent ears but a totally different mindset, most do not care about “natural” or recreating an event, they like to manipulate sound to their liking. Big sound, round bass, compressors that dirty up certain tracks on a recording is more interesting to them, and a good master is often given its final listen in a shitty car stereo. These people love digital recording for its cut and paste convenience, running the same 20 seconds again and again adding on effects voice overs and extra instruments to make it sound different or catchy. Natural and recreation of real events is rarely on the Radar (Random Access Digital Audio Recorder) system.;)
Well Milan, these guys would just ADORE our "beloved" cables ABA comparisons. 20 seconds...over and over and over...again.

Reactions: Lagonda

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
yes; i have..........game, set, match to this analog Mstislav Rostropovitch recording......among many others. digital cannot pull of this level of magic.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/msb-select-ii-arrival.23302/page-18#post-457567

or this Peter Maag Mendelssohn Scotch Symphony........string textures, again, digital cannot dream about.

https://elusivedisc.com/mendelssohn-symphony-no-3-numbered-limited-edition-180g-45rpm-2lp/

Sorry, Mike, but how do you know if these string textures that "digital cannot dream about" are realistic when, as you concede, your live concert experience is limited?

They may sound magical, but how do you know they sound real?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Lagonda, what you are describing seem to be rock/pop sound recording engineers. Classical recording engineers, like the one we are talking about, are a different breed. And unlike what's going on with compression in the current "loudness wars", in classical music engineers in general try to preserve dynamic range.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Sorry, Mike, but how do you know if these string textures that "digital cannot dream about" are realistic when, as you concede, your live concert experience is limited?

They may sound magical, but how do you know they sound real?

we are speaking here about playing back recorded string textures.......which i do all the time. i've heard live large orchestral. and it's easy to hear congealed strings verses naturally presented strings.

i have lots of 2xdsd vinyl rips (1000 or so) where i compare the vinyl to the ripped version. i can easily hear what is not there. that is the question. what could be on the recording playback? and what is missing?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What I respect on these threads is Mike's repeated patience to explain the same thing over and over when he should feel like banging his head against a brick wall. I don't know why he bothers

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Lagonda, what you are describing seem to be rock/pop sound recording engineers. Classical recording engineers, like the one we are talking about, are a different breed. And unlike what's going on with compression in the current "loudness wars", in classical music engineers in general try to preserve dynamic range.
Yes i must admit the closest to “classical”i’ve been was Al Di Meola’s
guitar :rolleyes:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
we are speaking here about playing back recorded string textures.......which i do all the time. i've heard live large orchestral. and it's easy to hear congealed strings verses naturally presented strings.

i have lots of 2xdsd vinyl rips (1000 or so) where i compare the vinyl to the ripped version. i can easily hear what is not there. that is the question. what could be on the recording playback? and what is missing?

Yes, it's easy to hear congealed strings. Yet I have heard "magical" string textures from analog that have made me question their authenticity, beautiful as they may have sounded. I have also heard beautiful string textures from analog that I found very realistic. But so did I from digital.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Al, from the 4 year i was part owner in a commercial recording studio i have come to realize that engineers/producers are a different breed of people.They have excellent ears but a totally different mindset

Your different mindset is visible in your exchanges with Tang.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Can we reconcile some of the different views of this debate by agreeing that:

"Stipulating that digital recording captures, at least in some technical way, more information of some type than does analog recording, whatever is that additional information it doesn't necessarily result in a more natural or realistic recreation of the sound of an original musical event when we re-play that information on our two-channel stereos."

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
His points are clearly explained: this brings me to the question if any of the detractors has read his interview yet.

For convenience, here is the link again:

https://www.spiritofturtle.com/inte...f-in-copper-magazine-issue-65/?v=796834e7a283

I read it last night Al. Thank you again for providing the link. In no way does it change my impression of which format sounds more like real music to me. Theory is one thing and it was interesting to read. But when I actually listen and compare the two formats I hear something different and have a rather strong preference.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can we reconcile some of the different views of this debate by agreeing that:

"Stipulating that digital recording captures, at least in some technical way, more information of some type than does analog recording, whatever is that additional information it doesn't necessarily result in a more natural or realistic recreation of the sound of an original musical event when we re-play that information on our two-channel stereos."
Yep, that should end the debate, stipulating things. Next!...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I read it last night Al. Thank you again for providing the link. In no way does it change my impression of which format sounds more like real music to me. Theory is one thing and it was interesting to read. But when I actually listen and compare the two formats I hear something different and have a rather strong preference.

Which of course is perfectly fine, Peter. I personally have a less strong preference either way; my perception is that both formats can sound very realistic. At the same time I did question lately the authenticity of some -- emphasis on some -- of the beautiful sounds I have heard from analog.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yep, that should end the debate, stipulating things. Next!...

Yes, Marc; it is one of several standard techniques to reduce the number of open issues in an attempt to build consensus -- whether engaged in a two person conversation, a contractual negotiation, a legislative deliberation, or an on-line forum, among other situations.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, Marc; it is one of several standard techniques to reduce the number of open issues in an attempt to build consensus -- whether engaged in a two person conversation, a contractual negotiation, a legislative deliberation, or an on-line forum, among other situations.

Consensus is a compromise.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
But Ron, it's pointless to think this this debate can ever be reconciled. All you're doing is stating a truism.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing