What ethernet cables are members using?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Hi David,

All the Ethernet cables in my network are Wireworld Platinum Starlight Cat 8 and I couldn’t be happier with the sound quality. But the Ethernet cable that by far has the greatest impact is the one that resides between my DJM GigaFoilv4 Ethernet Filter and my Select II DAC. If you’re going to break the bank on one Ethernet cable, that’s the spot!

Best,
Ken
Good advice Ken. Also thanks for the tip on DJM Ethernet filters - I've saved their details for future reference. From what i've read, the Sablon Audio ethernet cable looks to have a good balance of cost/performance. I also like their direct sales model, so I think that's the way i'd go, along with a DJM Inline filter.

Btw, do you use standard Home Depot ports at the wall, or some nicer hardware? Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sablon Audio

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Good advice Ken. Also thanks for the tip on DJM Ethernet filters - I've saved their details for future reference. From what i've read, the Sablon Audio ethernet cable looks to have a good balance of cost/performance. I also like their direct sales model, so I think that's the way i'd go, along with a DJM Inline filter.

Btw, do you use standard Home Depot ports at the wall, or some nicer hardware? Cheers.

Hi David,

I have my entire network on one rack and my Select II DAC and Niagara 7000 on another rack. I have no long ethernet cable runs or wall connections, which enables me to use WireWorld Platinum Starlight Cat 8 cables throughout the network and keep costs down.

Ken

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Just this past week I inserted two items that exceeded my expectations. I added a GigaFoil v4 box and a AudioQuest Diamond ethernet cable just before my dCS Upsampler. I feel there was a noticeable improvement in SQ. I don't know how much of the better sound is attributable to each device. As the AQ Diamond arrived three days before the GigaFoil I initially inserted that cable between my sonicTransporter and a switch just to "break it in" a bit. Even there I "thought" I heard some benefit from the cable. In fact I might order another just in case it might help there too.

Reactions: Alpinist

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: Mikem53 and Lee

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Just one more useless butcher article on audio cables ... No measurements, no technical tests, just speculation. And justifying the absence of substance or criticism admitting ignorance on the most important aspects on cable behavior at high frequency does not help.

I expect more than masking tape holding the thing together for $350.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just this past week I inserted two items that exceeded my expectations. I added a GigaFoil v4 box and a AudioQuest Diamond ethernet cable just before my dCS Upsampler. I feel there was a noticeable improvement in SQ. I don't know how much of the better sound is attributable to each device. As the AQ Diamond arrived three days before the GigaFoil I initially inserted that cable between my sonicTransporter and a switch just to "break it in" a bit. Even there I "thought" I heard some benefit from the cable. In fact I might order another just in case it might help there too.

Great to read. I was very curious about the GigaFoil v4 box https://www.audiostream.com/content/djm-electronics-gigafoilv4-–-inline-ethernet-filter, unfortunately it is not easy to get one to try in Europe. I am just insering a pair of optical coupling TP-LINK MC200CM Gigabit Media Converters to separate my router from the server.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Great to read. I was very curious about the GigaFoil v4 box https://www.audiostream.com/content/djm-electronics-gigafoilv4-–-inline-ethernet-filter, unfortunately it is not easy to get one to try in Europe. I am just insering a pair of optical coupling TP-LINK MC200CM Gigabit Media Converters to separate my router from the server.

The GigaFOIL was the perfect device for me to try out the AQ Diamond. I have a long run of ethernet running from my "network closet" to my Upsampler. Placing the GigaFOIL just before the dCS piece allowed my to insert that short run of Diamond between the two devices.

I might even pick up a better LPS to connect the GigaFOIL . I will wait a bit 'till I fully grasp the sound the current set-up before I do.

Reactions: microstrip

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I expect more than masking tape holding the thing together for $350.

Apologies for not being enthusiastic about your expectations... :)

As experience has forced me to accept that digital cables are pure Voodoo I am not disturbed by such occurrences. My dream is that some one brings me some digital cables that sound better than my Transparent Reference XL loom and cost one tenth. I have tried several, but no one approached the performance of the Reference XL´s in my system. Should I change the system? :cool:

Reactions: Felipe Rolim

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Apologies for not being enthusiastic about your expectations... :)

As experience has forced me to accept that digital cables are pure Voodoo I am not disturbed by such occurrences. My dream is that some one brings me some digital cables that sound better than my Transparent Reference XL loom and cost one tenth. I have tried several, but no one approached the performance of the Reference XL´s in my system. Should I change the system? :cool:
You won't see me bashing Transparent Cables but as far as I know they don't offer anything but basic ethernet cables.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You won't see me bashing Transparent Cables but as far as I know they don't offer anything but basic ethernet cables.

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I was adressing clock and AES/EBU cables. For Ethernet I am now using Audioquest Carbon 700. Apparently Transparent Audio still have not entered in the ethernet cable market.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I've had a GigaFOIL V4 in for a week or so. Apparent from the get go is the stock PS sounds terrible. Glare and harsh, it wasn't right. If u are using the stock one, you have no idea how it can sound. Put an iFi 5v PS in and the difference was amazing. Glare gone and everything becomes clearer and has more focus.( Inserted GigFOIL in place of fiber optic/ converter setup. I use Starlight CAT 8 ethernet cables.) More listening to be done....

Agree with the Transparent cables, including their top digital and clock cables...dark. Actually, Transparent has always been voiced dark.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I've had a GigaFOIL V4 in for a week or so. Apparent from the get go is the stock PS sounds terrible. Glare and harsh, it wasn't right. If u are using the stock one, you have no idea how it can sound. Put an iFi 5v PS in and the difference was amazing. Glare gone and everything becomes clearer and has more focus.( Inserted GigFOIL in place of fiber optic/ converter setup. I use Starlight CAT 8 ethernet cables.) More listening to be done.....

Hi King,

I’ve done exactly the same thing as you right down to the type of filter, power supply and ethernet cables and I agree with your assessment on all counts.

Best,
Ken

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)
Agree with the Transparent cables, including their top digital and clock cables...dark. Actually, Transparent has always been voiced dark.

Although we agree on the ethernet, here we disagree. I have compared several complete looms of AES/EBU and clock cables in the Vivaldi stack and the Reference XL did not sound dark, just having great body, energy and detail. However in a system lacking detail and having excess of fullness they could be seen as dark.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Fortunately, I direct attach my drive to the Lumin so I have no need for a good Ethernet cable. I use a Cat 7 cable to attach the Lumin to my switch, and that handles the control app.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing