What ethernet cables are members using?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I do not have NAS and do not intend to install one.
Since the beginning af computer audio in my setup I went the server way.
So far so good with W20.
I consider NAS as a least audiophile component in audio , but I could be wrong as I never tried one;)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Fortunately, I direct attach my drive to the Lumin so I have no need for a good Ethernet cable. I use a Cat 7 cable to attach the Lumin to my switch, and that handles the control app.
I thought it wouldn't matter. Your Lumin still connects to your network via ethernet. On another site there are individuals who have used the GigaFOIL and AQ Diamond or similar cables to connect their Lumin's or MSB products to the network. They seem to be seeing the same positive results.

Everyone has a slightly different set-up so no single answer fits all. It was one of the least expensive positive upgrades I have made.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I thought it wouldn't matter. Your Lumin still connects to your network via ethernet. On another site there are individuals who have used the GigaFOIL and AQ Diamond or similar cables to connect their Lumin's or MSB products to the network. They seem to be seeing the same positive results.

Everyone has a slightly different set-up so no single answer fits all. It was one of the least expensive positive upgrades I have made.

I specifically said the music hard drive is directly connected to the Lumin. The only thing on the Ethernet cable is the control app (play, pause, etc.). No music is on the Ethernet cable.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I've had a GigaFOIL V4 in for a week or so. Apparent from the get go is the stock PS sounds terrible. Glare and harsh, it wasn't right. If u are using the stock one, you have no idea how it can sound. Put an iFi 5v PS in and the difference was amazing. Glare gone and everything becomes clearer and has more focus.( Inserted GigFOIL in place of fiber optic/ converter setup. I use Starlight CAT 8 ethernet cables.) More listening to be done....

So a few hours after I wrote this I replaced the iFi 5v PS with a Sbooster MkII 5v PS. It's better than the iFi...more solid and substantial musical foundation. But as I said at first, getting rid of the PS supplied with the GigaFOIL V4 was most significant.

Reactions: Alpinist

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
So a few hours after I wrote this I replaced the iFi 5v PS with a Sbooster MkII 5v PS. It's better than the iFi...more solid and substantial musical foundation. But as I said at first, getting rid of the PS supplied with the GigaFOIL V4 was most significant.

I’ll have to give the SBooster MkII or the Keces P3 a try. Do you have any experience with the Keces LPS?

Ken

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Got the Bridge II up and running today on the DirectStream with the Blue Jeans Cat 6a. Sounds really great!

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com

Hello - the Gigafoil V4 is drawing interest and I am trying to assess what you have before or after the Gigafoil.

I ask as I put in an AQVox SE audio switch that incorporates filters and a clock and thinking the Giga may end removing some detail.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I’ll have to give the SBooster MkII or the Keces P3 a try. Do you have any experience with the Keces LPS?

Ken
Sorry Ken I don't know a thing about Keces...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I will be ordering the Keces P3 next week when they return from Chinese New Year.. Not sure how much better than the standard wall wart it will be but I will take the chance. I like what others have said about it.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I will be ordering the Keces P3 next week when they return from Chinese New Year.. Not sure how much better than the standard wall wart it will be but I will take the chance. I like what others have said about it.

Hi Jim,

I would expect the Keces P3 or the SBooster MkII to be a substantial step up from the IFI power supply, which is a major step up from the stock power supply.

Ken

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Hi Jim,

I would expect the Keces P3 or the SBooster MkII to be a substantial step up from the IFI power supply, which is a major step up from the stock power supply.

Ken

Ken
If it is a substantial improvement I will be pleasantly surprised. I do expect some benefit but to be truthful my digital is sounding so good right now I could live without any further improvement.

I am not sure how much of my latest gains I can attribute to the GigaFoil or how much to the AQ Diamond connection. Either way great bank for the buck tweaks.

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
I have the GigaFOIL v4 with Keces PS on the way.

It'll go between 3M AQ Diamond ethernet from my switch and 1M Diamond ethernet which is connected to my ultraRendu, which is just ahead of my DAC.

AQ Diamond etherrnet is way ahead (from a sheer musical involvement standpoint) of other ethernet cables I have heard, though I certainly have not heard all of them.

Actually, I've not heard that GigaFOIL v4/Keces combo.

I've learned that I can always trust Mike at Suncoast Audio, so I bought it from him on his strong recommendation...

Reactions: Alpinist

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
AQ Diamond etherrnet is way ahead (from a sheer musical involvement standpoint) of other ethernet cables I have heard, though I certainly have not heard all of them.

Actually, I've not heard that GigaFOIL v4/Keces combo.

I've learned that I can always trust Mike at Suncoast Audio, so I bought it from him on his strong recommendation...

Very interesting. ...And curious to learn more.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I've had a GigaFOIL V4 in for a week or so. Apparent from the get go is the stock PS sounds terrible. Glare and harsh, it wasn't right. If u are using the stock one, you have no idea how it can sound. Put an iFi 5v PS in and the difference was amazing. Glare gone and everything becomes clearer and has more focus.( Inserted GigFOIL in place of fiber optic/ converter setup. I use Starlight CAT 8 ethernet cables.) More listening to be done....

I am interested in the GigaFOIL V4 too. I will be able to listen to it in a few day's time. Shall post my impression on it here.

Keces LPS are made in Taiwan. Very reliable and have excellent c/p ratios but of course performance-wise there are some better choices.

I notice that many of the WBF members on this thread are using Wireworld and Audioquest cables.

Why not trying some brands from Europe?
I personally highly recommend ethernet cables from Sablon Audio, Vertere and Dalby Audio (Meda).
IMHO they are superior, particularly in term of musicality when compared to AQ and Wireworld.

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
I've tried AQ and have the Wireworld Starlight Cat 8 and love the Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ethernet CAT6. The Gigafoil sounds super interesting but switching from WW to SR produced a lot of the effect of eliminating the glare and edge of the WW that people are reporting so not sure it would be a great investment if you already have the SR. That said the speed and transparency detail of the WW is impressive but the SR gave me more body, dimensionality and dynamics that just to me sounds more "settled" and full bodied - more like the real thing.

Last edited:

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
I was about to plunge into a high quality Ethernet cable from my Aurender streamer to my router such as Furutech, Wireworld or Synergistic Research (20 feet). However, a person I trust mentioned that there's no reason to buy a shielded cable from these companies for my Packedge switcher/router. As most routers are not grounded, the shielded cable won't ground to anything, and if anything can do more harm than help. He's suggesting making one up using good quality CAT -6, 23 awg un-shielded cable from Provoactive. Any thoughts? Thank you.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I was about to plunge into a high quality Ethernet cable from my Aurender streamer to my router such as Furutech, Wireworld or Synergistic Research (20 feet). However, a person I trust mentioned that there's no reason to buy a shielded cable from these companies for my Packedge switcher/router. As most routers are not grounded, the shielded cable won't ground to anything, and if anything can do more harm than help. He's suggesting making one up using good quality CAT -6, 23 awg un-shielded cable from Provoactive. Any thoughts? Thank you.

And why would you trust anyone but yourself to make that decision? If you cannot hear a difference sell it. If you can hear a difference keep it. it isn't as if you will lose much by doing so.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Ungrounded sounds better for me...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
And why would you trust anyone but yourself to make that decision? If you cannot hear a difference sell it. If you can hear a difference keep it. it isn't as if you will lose much by doing so.

This is the problem with people and cables, the assumption that different is better. I think he got good advice. Choose your levels of distortion and RF intrusion somewhere else. Maintain the signal quality at least to the DAC. When you have EVERY piece changing the sound, then it’s really really really hard to tell when you do anything right. You need a starting point, and the cleanest digital is a great place to start. Then choose your distortions you like, choose SET’s, vintage speakers, diffracting speakers, whatever it is that you like the sound of.

Unless the routers are setup for shields and run balanced, then shields probably do nothing but warp phase. Unless the whole setup is made for something beyond cat6, and the features are standard, it’s probably a downgrade - but it might sound different!

As mentioned in another thread, I like the idea of using fiber to isolate, and then making the fiber reciever be super low noise. That to me is probably the best way you can maintain signal integrity and leave noise behind. Instead people are creating ground loops, warping phase, etc, to hear something else.

Reactions: jaynyc and KeithR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing