What ethernet cables are members using?

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Finding the synergistically matched cable is important especially as it is part of the most critical front end point in any streaming chain.

Every single thing done in the chain will matter quite critically and until you dwell really deeply into reducing jitter from all ethernet connections and points these multiple improvements will yield results one can not obtain from any single piece of equipment upgrade no matter at what price point.

Once you have achieved that certain level, it becomes not so much as finding the right flavour of ethernet cables, but more so finding an excellent cable that does not have amy strong characters throughout any part of the frequency range and be rewarded with a realistic and natural sound.

I am not refering about comparing which cable has better bass, highs, stage, depth etc etc.

The whole presentation clicks together that you no longer find it makes sense of such comparisions, it will just sound so very very right.

Reactions: Trab

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I added a 9 meter Supra cat 8+ Ethernet cable connecting my NAS to the GigaFoil v4 and as mentioned, it is all starting to come together now. Still waiting on my 0.65 meter Revelation Audio cable to connect the Gigafoil to my custom built silent PC (replacing a generic Cat5) . I honestly will be even more surprised if my System makes a further improvement as it really sounds ‘right’ already.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Try ELECOM CAT8 cable
Very, very good. But very, very cheap.

They are very, very, very directional.

Use them in the same direction as the printed words on their cable jacket.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I added a 9 meter Supra cat 8+ Ethernet cable connecting my NAS to the GigaFoil v4 and as mentioned, it is all starting to come together now. Still waiting on my 0.65 meter Revelation Audio cable to connect the Gigafoil to my custom built silent PC (replacing a generic Cat5) . I honestly will be even more surprised if my System makes a further improvement as it really sounds ‘right’ already.

I have some extra like-new super-quiet, blazingly fast Cat 8Supra cables I'm happy to part with. I think they're 25 feet and 6 feet in length. Make and offer! Motivated sell at a firesale price. PM me
Marty

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I'm using whichever ETH cable came in contact with my paw first when I reached into the box of Ethernet cables that I've accumulated over the years. Who knows what brand it is but I try to pick something CAT5e or better and tend to prefer a Blue colored cable over others. Not sure why but when I think of an ETH cable I picture a Blue one so Blue it must be :)

The only other criteria is that its the proper length for the job. No need to have extra cable strung about the room if its not needed.

If an ETH cable makes a difference in sound I bet its doing something wrong and you probably paid too much for that added flavor :)

Reactions: Mikem53

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
... If an ETH cable makes a difference in sound I bet its doing something wrong and you probably paid too much for that added flavor :)

You say, you bet.
Well, watch out. I guess You are about to loose.

Ethernet cables, as well as all other cables are there to carry some sort of electricity. In speaker we get acoustic wave instead of electricity, before speaker all is an electric energy modulated or carried. Electricity is the physical property of matter, and it depends on the matter. By taking care of that matter you gain results. 1 micron of matter can influence the signal. 1 micron is very thin for us, but not for the elementary particles, and all electric energy passes threw this matter with its unique physical characteristics. If you want more "flavor" you can get it. If you want precision, you can get it too, etc.
Do I pay too much ?
It's personal dependent. First you should hear the results. My USB cable costs three times more than my streamer with power supply. All have been chosen after listening tests.

Reactions: Macattack

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I can’t afford to break the bank so I’ve settled on Blue Jeans Ethernet cables. Their statements on the utter unreliability to meet specs of most cables, even from the major suppliers, made a strong impression on me. I’ve installed four long runs averaging around 80 feet each and have had no problems. I haven’t done comparative audio testing. I think that’d be hard to do.

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Just announced :)
EXCLUSIVE FOR JCAT - WORLD'S BEST RJ45 CONNECTORS ON SIGNATURE LAN CABLE GOLD
Japan Telegaertner Limited MFP8 IE GOLD RJ45 connectors, the same as being used at the International Space Station (ISS), are now available on our Signature LAN Cable GOLD which guarantees even more reliable transmission of audio signals and higher sound quality.
The MFP8 IE GOLD connectors are available exclusively on JCAT Signature LAN Cable GOLD. No other manufacturer outside Japan is allowed to use these prestigious connectors. We are very proud!

L1005261.jpg

Reactions: MattSPL

vhs

Dec 12, 2019

Felipe Rolim

May 23, 2017
Brazil
A hobbyist told me that network cables are specified to be at least 1m in length, and that minor measurements can be harmful to network cards, cause malfunctions, and are unable to make electrical isolation between devices effective. For him, it must be at least 1m long.

I set up two network cables with the Viablue EP-7S cable and Telegartner MFP-8 connectors, one with 0.5m, the other with 1m, and came to the conclusion that the 0.5m cable works better, has better, more transparent and resolute sound. However, this issue worried me and I decided to ask the opinion of who is more experienced. What do you say about it? Does this information proceed? Never read anything related...

Reactions: Marcin_gps

Bluedog

Nov 22, 2013
Boston
Curious what worked for you and what didn't work for you. Thanks!

SOtM (Sound of the Music) dCBL-CAT7

Reactions: Lee

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
A hobbyist told me that network cables are specified to be at least 1m in length, and that minor measurements can be harmful to network cards, cause malfunctions, and are unable to make electrical isolation between devices effective. For him, it must be at least 1m long.

I set up two network cables with the Viablue EP-7S cable and Telegartner MFP-8 connectors, one with 0.5m, the other with 1m, and came to the conclusion that the 0.5m cable works better, has better, more transparent and resolute sound. However, this issue worried me and I decided to ask the opinion of who is more experienced. What do you say about it? Does this information proceed? Never read anything related...

Go with your ears.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Have an Audioquest Diamond ethernet cable arriving on Tuesday. I discovered that better ethernet cables also work best for streaming between my Samsung TV and my ATT Uverse router. Way better than my previous high quality HDMI. I am upgrading from an Audioquest Cinnamon ethernet cable.

seeteeyou

Apr 6, 2015
Belden Cat6a (10GX32) and this:
Hi Kal,

Did you get a chance to try HDBaseT cables from Belden as well? Both 2183R and 2183P are sold by the foot here

https://www.markertek.com/product/b...ied-poh-hdbaset-ethernet-cable-black-per-foot
https://www.pacrad.com/belden-2183p-hdbaset-4k-uhd-shielded-media-cable-plenum-rated-23-awg.html

In addition to Telegärtner products with M12 connectors, REVConnect with PCB Type connectors seemed to be quite interesting

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/2823...upport 4K UHD HDBaseT Applications.pdf#page=8

https://www.bicsi.org/docs/default-...17-fall/putting-cable-to-the-test.pdf#page=24

If that were good enough for HDBaseT 4K UHD, certainly transferring audio streams should work like a charm.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Have an Audioquest Diamond ethernet cable arriving on Tuesday. I discovered that better ethernet cables also work best for streaming between my Samsung TV and my ATT Uverse router. Way better than my previous high quality HDMI. I am upgrading from an Audioquest Cinnamon ethernet cable.

Congrats! I have an entire loom of the Audioquest Diamond Ethernet Cables and I love them. These cables just step out of the way and provide a clear window to the music. I tried several other popular Ethernet Cables and each of them made changes to the sound I couldn’t live with.

Enjoy,
Ken

Reactions: Lee

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Did you get a chance to try HDBaseT cables from Belden as well? Both 2183R and 2183P are sold by the foot here
I did not. My apartment was wired with the 10GX32.
In addition to Telegärtner products with M12 connectors, REVConnect with PCB Type connectors seemed to be quite interesting
I will look into these. Thanks.
If that were good enough for HDBaseT 4K UHD, certainly transferring audio streams should work like a charm.
To be sure but I am not even running video on them and performance, judged only subjectively, is not an issue. I will look into the Telegartner RevConnects.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing