What is a reviewer?

It's the wives that abhor those!
"Water hoses left on the living room floor" is one wife's remark about cables. Martin Logan CLS looks " like a couple of extra doors parked in the middle of the living room " i think that girlfriend actually cried when she saw those lovely speakers in situ the first time.:p When ever you make a major upgrade in your stereo system, a new wife is always the safest way to go. ;)

Last edited:
"Water hoses left on the living room floor" is one wife's remark about cables. Martin Logan CLS looks " like a couple of extra doors parked in the middle of the living room " i think that girlfriend actually cried when she saw those lovely speakers in situ the first time.:p When ever you make a major upgrade in your stereo system, a new wife is always the safest way to go. ;)
you have a good prenup guy? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
Cables on the floor makes it hard to clean ;)

The dealer in which showroom my speakers are commented people like the sound .
But the wives were complaining they had no front/ the drivers were to visible .:(

The heck with that. Systems are hard to clean. We need to have a poll on how long we can go before the thoughts of fur balls and cobwebs behind the racks make us just pull everything out.

I believe a very small percentage of people, in the US, I talk to about improving their power listen to classicsl. Many times its music I have never heard.

Where do you get your perception or data on what people listen too. I have about 120 data points. I only know a couple off the cuff that I have met that like classical like Marty and Mike.
And me. :) Although granted we only met in person at AXPONA.

:) BTW, I am looking forward to Mahler's 3rd on Tuesday with the Philadelphia and Nézet-Séguin. I have no idea what to expect from them in Mahler.
Before I moved away from the Philly area I had the good fortune to have spent about 30+ years going to Philadelphia Orchestra performances, including about 9 years with Nézet-Séguin. I find him to be a wonderful conductor, but personally I thought the orchestra did Mahler better with Eschenbach (who was often pilloried as Philly’s conductor).

Last edited:
Before I moved away from the Philly area I had the good fortune to have spent about 30+ years going to Philadelphia Orchestra performances, including about 9 years with Nézet-Séguin. I find him to be a wonderful conductor, but personally I thought the orchestra did Mahler better with Eschenbach (who was often pilloried as Philly’s conductor).
Actually, I think he did rather well. Less so in the earlier movements but he (and they) really nailed the last one.

Reactions: tony22
Good question. Let’s say we fire up a mono version of Pet Sounds on a high-end stereo system. I’m listening for a couple of things. If I don’t hear one of them the system isn’t high fidelity. Just a little bit of what I learned.
Can you describe what you are listening for on a mono copy of Pet Sounds?

Can you describe what you are listening for on a mono copy of Pet Sounds?
First are you confronted with a wall of sound? A sixties mono copy should present you with a soundstage with little or no sense of depth. If you get any sensation of depth, your equipment is distorting the soundstage. Second can you hear tape noise? A simple test of resolution. If you can’t hear the tape noise your system doesn’t have enough resolution to be considered high fidelity.

Pet Sounds is an open secret in high-end audio. People joke about the equipment that won’t play it.

Reactions: Tim Link
First are you confronted with a wall of sound? A sixties mono copy should present you with a soundstage with little or no sense of depth. If you get any sensation of depth, your equipment is distorting the soundstage. Second can you hear tape noise? A simple test of resolution. If you can’t hear the tape noise your system doesn’t have enough resolution to be considered high fidelity.

Pet Sounds is an open secret in high-end audio. People joke about the equipment that won’t play it.
I assume this would still work even if you made a digital recording of the LP? Or does it have to be directly off a record player?

I always thought the "wall of sound" referred to a stereo image that had width but lacked depth. I wouldn't expect mono to have either.

Judging a system by what i does NOT do, sounds like a easy test. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Elliot G.
I assume this would still work even if you made a digital recording of the LP? Or does it have to be directly off a record player?

I always thought the "wall of sound" referred to a stereo image that had width but lacked depth. I wouldn't expect mono to have either.
I have a digital recording of Pet Sounds. The same two characteristics apply.

A mono recording can have depth, many of my favorites do. All you need to do is make some instruments quieter. Easy enough to do.

Judging i system by what i does NOT do, sounds like a easy test. :rolleyes:
I am not putting down someones methodology but listening for noise wouldnt be my method. The sound of real instruments in an acoustic space has and will continue to be what I am looking for. Electric studio recordings can sound like anything they want to sound like.This is not good nor bad just reality. So if judging your system by the glassbreaking in a Dire Straits Record , or a dog barking in a Roger Waters disc is your test great to me I want to hear real instruments played in a real space and Ill live with the rest.

Judging i system by what i does NOT do, sounds like a easy test. :rolleyes:
If you know what tape noise sounds like it is easy to tell when it is present and when it isn’t. Common knowledge that the original recordings had tape noise. I’ve been able to hear since I was a teenager and can still hear it at 70.

So, unless your turntable setup is messed up you should easily be able to hear it. Unless of course you aren’t high fidelity.

I have a digital recording of Pet Sounds. The same two characteristics apply.

A mono recording can have depth, many of my favorites do. All you need to do is make some instruments quieter. Easy enough to do.
I listened to the streaming version a little. It all sounds like it's coming from right between the speakers. No depth to speak of. I have to turn it up louder than I normally listen before the hiss becomes obvious. Might just be my aging ears. As a kid I always easily heard hiss on anything that wasn't pure digital on any system I listened to. Now I rarely notice it unless I go out of my way to hear it.

I am not putting down someones methodology but listening for noise wouldnt be my method. The sound of real instruments in an acoustic space has and will continue to be what I am looking for. Electric studio recordings can sound like anything they want to sound like.This is not good nor bad just reality. So if judging your system by the glassbreaking in a Dire Straits Record , or a dog barking in a Roger Waters disc is your test great to me I want to hear real instruments played in a real space and Ill live with the rest.
Elliot, I expect better from you. You act as though a simple test of resolution is all I listen for. Pet Sounds is one of nine reference recordings I’ve used since 1982. I also use three sets of recordings I’ve made of instruments I almost hope you don’t like.

A few years back Mean Mary James played at a coffee near my office. Her Deering Midnight Special was having a tough night. She explained she played in Eugene Oregon the night before on a rainy night then the trip to Phoenix (very hot and not rainy) had gotten the best of the instrument.

A sixties mono copy should present you with a soundstage with little or no sense of depth. If you get any sensation of depth, your equipment is distorting the soundstage.
It was mainly this little beauty i was referring to. Maybe your equipment is just really bad at reproducing depth and will pass the test with flying colors ! ;) By the way "a sixties mono copy" refers to a digitally converted file, you don't list a record player among your equipment ?

Last edited:
Elliot, I expect better from you. You act as though a simple test of resolution is all I listen for. Pet Sounds is one of nine reference recordings I’ve used since 1982. I also use three sets of recordings I’ve made of instruments I almost hope you don’t like.

A few years back Mean Mary James played at a coffee near my office. Her Deering Midnight Special was having a tough night. She explained she played in Eugene Oregon the night before on a rainy night then the trip to Phoenix (very hot and not rainy) had gotten the best of the instrument.
I guess you didnt read what I said but so be it. This is the way things are done take something out of context and get indignant. If you had said what you said now then maybe the reply would be different. I don't know what you use as you never said it. My mind reading skills have diminished sadly. I made a statement of what I do and thats that period .

I listened to the streaming version a little. It all sounds like it's coming from right between the speakers. No depth to speak of. I have to turn it up louder than I normally listen before the hiss becomes obvious. Might just be my aging ears. As a kid I always easily heard hiss on anything that wasn't pure digital on any system I listened to. Now I rarely notice it unless I go out of my way to hear it.
You are hearing exactly what you should hear. And as we age you need to turn it up a bit to hear the tape noise.

Reactions: Tim Link

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu