What is going to be your endgame speaker?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
They were reviewed in Stereo Review September 1968 by Julian Hirsch.
Bose 901. 8th

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
i like them. In fact many critics did. Hirsch considered them a sort of tour de force. The problem is they could not compete against the great speakers of that era.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
i like them. In fact many critics did. Hirsch considered them a sort of tour de force. The problem is they could not compete against the great speakers of that era.
Bose was trying to get rid of the concept of a sweet spot. He was trying to convince consumers that they could have great presence and full spectrum as they lived their life. No need to hunker down and focus.
I think with anything like the Bose 901, it is up to the listener. Gosh, I think in various versions it had a 48 year run. People bought them.

Reactions: MRJAZZ

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
They were reviewed in Stereo Review September 1968 by Julian Hirsch.
Bose 901. 8th
FWIW, Stereo Review and Mr. Hirsch were major factors in the rise of the “listeners,” like JGH and HP. Hirsch was a strong proponent of judging things by objective measurements. People could clearly hear differences. JGH postulated that “if it measures well but sounds bad, it has to be judged as bad.”

WZJ felt that it should both measure well and sound good.

Gordon Gow felt that if it measured well, it would sound true.

Bill and Lew felt that the way it sounded was the true measure.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Jamo release 2005 the R909 openbaffle speaker a revolution, later often copied construction. They build a little desktop version ds7 too with subwoofer.
Unfortunately, they needed stable amplifiers. At that time I only had small tube amplifiers and fullrange drivers. therefore completely forgot that it exists. I would like to hear it again today, it was a wonderful sound then definitely an endgame speaker.
Jamo_R909_550.jpg 799231-0000-005.jpg

Reactions: jespera and Gregadd

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
It may be worth noting that ARC and CJ were both not yet formed when Bose introduced his 901. Bose was truly an innovator, if nothing else. He took his company into the domain of “direct to the consumer” sales. It worked for his target market. He did a lot of magazine based marketing. He was never bothered by, nor did he cater to, the audiophiles of the day. That term (audiophile) may not even have been coined yet. I don’t really remember.

Reactions: thomask

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jamo release 2005 the R909 openbaffle speaker a revolution, later often copied construction. They build a little desktop version ds7 too with subwoofer.
Unfortunately, they needed stable amplifiers. At that time I only had small tube amplifiers and fullrange drivers. therefore completely forgot that it exists. I would like to hear it again today, it was a wonderful sound then definitely an endgame speaker.
View attachment 110942 View attachment 110945
I heard this speaker when I was up in Seattle with ARC amps. They were quite amazing.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I'll admit to owning a pair of Bose 501's when I was in Hight School. :eek:

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
That's an impossible question to answer, end game is just my excuse to spend above my means! I always want the latest headline grabber until I get it home and listen with my own ears.

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
After living with Scaena 3.2 for more than a year, its strength is wide, deep but natural soundstage.

Also with lot of unis, it is distortion free.

The strength of Altec A7 horn speaker is natural dynamics and details out of treble horn.

I had lived with Lansche 4.1 from 2006 to 2021 (16 years).

Its strength is pristine treble out of plasma tweeter and could be driven by small watt SET amp due to high efficiency and nice WAF due to polished finish.

I may not need Western horn speaker to enjoy music.

All three above speakers sound musical.

But I would like to get Western horn system in three years.

You live only once! ;)

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Today I am back to Lanshe 4.1 from Scaena 3.2

Although Scaena 3.2 give very clean treble, Lanshce 4.1 give more pristine treble with exquisite details.

Female vocal sounds more fantastic with Lansche 4.1

Thus I will not let Lansche 4.1 go. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have already found my end point spkrs. Airblades alongside existing Zus have at a stroke sated any desire to look beyond. Even after at a fantastic demo of Montesquieu's vintage driver'd Tannoys, I'm not looking elsewhere.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing