What is going to be your endgame speaker?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Lagonda

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Reactions: thomask

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
View attachment 111240

Wow this Quad stack is available at Ebay.

I had longed for Quad for long time.

Shall I add this one to my collection? ;)
Go for it.....with the right amps, and a good crossover to roll off the Quads below 100, they will amaze you......

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I love my Quad esl-57, but would love to hear Klangfilm bionor— could be endgame, but I would have to build a house around them Or buy a defunct movie theater.
Same here. When I want to stretch out and listen to music without the crazy audiophile in me rearing its head, the Quad ESL-57 remains my forever end game speaker. As a very well paid IT executive in the San Francisco Bay Area, I can pretty much write a check and afford any speaker on the planet. Sadly, more money does not get you a better speaker, IMHO. So, the 57 is still unmatched for me. You can’t listen to it as an audiophile speaker. It’s not a boom boom sizzle sizzle kind of hifi sound popular these days. It’s got lots of limitations, but what it does it does beyond compare. Even the later 63 based Quads don’t sound as good to my ears, even though technically they are superior.

When I want to revel in the sound of a glorious 1 watt SET, I turn to a pair of Klipsch La Scalas. These are as intoxicating as the 57s, but with a completely different sound. They play as softly as you want, but go effortlessly loud on very low high quality power. With the best tubes money can buy, e.g., vintage Western Electric 422a rectifier and Western Electric 300Bs or 421a triodes, the La Scalas sound gorgeous. You’ll need a very high quality tube DAC or first grade vinyl to hear them at their best.

Nothing else interests me as far as speakers go. I have zero interest in buying a large dynamic speaker with half a dozen drivers whose sound is stitched together with a complex crossover.

The hifi world is waiting for its next speaker genius, after Peter Walker and Paul Klipsch. No one seems interested in designing low distortion speakers any more, after these two brilliant designers. Now all you have is boom boom sizzle sizzle.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Go for it.....with the right amps, and a good crossover to roll off the Quads below 100, they will amaze you......
Yes I am intrigued by this beautiful piece.

The only problem is tha I already have too many speakers.

If I get this, I shall set up another listening room on the thrid floor.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
slap a pair of OTL amps(Atma-Sphere) a Linn tt with SME arm and have a slice of audiophile heaven

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm "only" 53 so I'm hesitant to say that what I have now are my endgame speakers, reference system speakers anyhow. I still continue to set up systems in our other rooms, spaces and properties.

The VSA Ultra 11s do it all for me. They have configurability, have stat like mids (I own Quads and Stax 'phones so yes I know stat sound) and do what few other speakers can and that is to deliver a unified pressure wavefront. The price to be paid is that they will not reach their potential with modest power. Quality high power that do what low and mid power tubes and pure class A SS are very, very rare and expensive. In return, none of the weird effects of trying to fight the laws of physics.

If the question is, If I were forced to downsize and or have a system in a none dedicated space, I would really really have to think very hard about that.

Reactions: Al M. and thomask

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My true end game would be muotple speakers and a headphone.
an electrostatic headphone.
an electrostatic speaker
a ribbon speaker
a horn speaker
a dynamic speaker.
I would listen to them in rotation.

Reactions: Rumpole and thomask

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
My true end game would be muotple speakers and a headphone.
an electrostatic headphone.
an electrostatic speaker
a ribbon speaker
a horn speaker
a dynamic speaker.
I would listen to them in rotat
In Europe, we are not so rich...

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The VSA Ultra 11s do it all for me. They have configurability, have stat like mids (I own Quads and Stax 'phones so yes I know stat sound) and do what few other speakers can and that is to deliver a unified pressure wavefront. The price to be paid is that they will not reach their potential with modest power. Quality high power that do what low and mid power tubes and pure class A SS are very, very rare and expensive. In return, none of the weird effects of trying to fight the laws of physics.

To a large degree this is also true of my friend's Magico M Project speakers. While you can get good sound with less intense amplification, only his powerful CH Precision monoblocks could make those speakers really sing with great life and dynamics (both micro and macro), next to natural, warm tone. It's indeed a price to be paid, but it's worth it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
To a large degree this is also true of my friend's Magico M Project speakers. While you can get good sound with less intense amplification, only his powerful CH Precision monoblocks could make those speakers really sing with great life and dynamics (both micro and macro), next to natural, warm tone. It's indeed a price to be paid, but it's worth it.
Like your friend I too use CH Monos :)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I would love to hear the Sony SS G9 again. I liked it very much at the time 95 db/1Watt suitable for tubes. I would like to lock myself up with him for several days and listen. like in a museum, that everything is in perfect condition. I think he owns equipment worth several million euros.

Use headphones

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I know. GREAT choice!
You know Al, this thread got me thinking. If I had a decent sized family space to set up in, my initial thought would be to go back full circle and build myself a sub-sat system. Then I figured there have been some open baffle speaker systems that I have really enjoyed yet of all speakers save field coils this is something I've never really had a chance to play with. They typically like to be closer to the front wall than all other usual suspects but retain the openness I like from dipoles and super-cardiods, Those I've liked like Spatials and Emerald Physics before they went active, have also tended to play well with amplification in the 30 to 100 wpc range. That's A LOT of good amplification to choose from. These are the two types I would most probably choose from. The sub sat because I know for sure I can get the results I want and the OBs because of the challenge. :)

Reactions: Al M.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Marrtin LoganCLS1
R (6).jpg
Nola Knockout
R (4).jpg
Magnepan 3.7
2379413-5a121baf-magnepan-37i-with-mye-stands-aluminum-trim-with-black-fabric.jpg
Avantgarde Duo original version

R (5).jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing