What is going to be your endgame speaker?

Since the UK is not famous for large housing, I'll stay with bookshelf speakers. Right now I'm using the LS50 Meta's but my dream speaker is TAD Micro Evolution One with a nice sub from REL. Or two.
Guess I have a thing for coaxials.

I recently ordered my end game and last speaker ---Aries Cerat Aurora.
Hi Wilgolf. I heard the briefly in Munich and they are impressive indeed!

line magnetic western electric - Google Search

Line Magnetic is also selling WE replica at reasonable price.

I had considered getting one.

But since I am happy with my Scaena 3.2 which you helped to assemble, I shall go for genuine WE horn speakers. :)
Thomask, may I suggest Sam Wisnewski's Vista horns running on 45 tube electronics, also from Destination. I have heard the big Aires Cerat and they are indeed stunning sonically and visually. Congratulations Willgolf! I would love to hear them at your place when I get to Arizona in the fall.

That said, the Destination Audio Vista's hand-built by Sam Wisnewski in Poland recreates the WE sound that is close to your heart and available at quite a reasonable price. I have spent a great deal of time listening to the Vista's and the dynamics, tone, wavefront they reproduce and full range sound is well..... special! There are presently two Vista's systems in the US , one in Charlotte and one in Dallas so should you like to hear them please send me a PM.

In full disclosure, I am informally helping advise Sam as a close friend and am not distributing or selling his products. That might change in the future since my enthusiasm for his work is as I stated. Regardless, of your final Destination (no pun intended) I wish you the best of luck:)

PS A field coil version of the Vista is in the early stages of development but not yet complete. the current sensitivity is 105db. My observations are in relation to my time spent with the non fiend-coil version.

Attachments

• vistas.png
    vistas.png
    714.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DA-1-1024x768.jpg
    DA-1-1024x768.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DA-Horn-FB-300x226.jpg
    DA-Horn-FB-300x226.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 28
Master Artist Signature Tower, custom built and designed in house

Attachments

• master00.jpg
    master00.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: thomask
Maybe the all new Schetl Audio Bridgeway speakers at $30K with Supertweeters

Major-Breakthrough ?... :eek:

My true end game would be muotple speakers and a headphone.
an electrostatic headphone.
an electrostatic speaker
a ribbon speaker
a horn speaker
a dynamic speaker.
I would listen to them in rotation.
Agree, I think the ideal would be multiple systems optimized for different types of music. I'm still searching for my endgame speakers, so I appreciate this thread. I'm intrigued by high efficiency speakers and have wanted to hear the Reference 3a Reflectors and the Volti Rival speakers. I had not heard about Songer speakers and they look very interesting. But having multiple systems with the speakers alone at $30k plus is challenging. And given the room constraints for multiple systems - it is also challenging to match the ideal system to each room.

Twenty years ago I had the original Amati Homage with Supratek tube peamp and amps, set up in the perfect room, and it was magical. A friend who heard it for the first time kept repeating "You don't need drugs" and that described it perfectly. Then one of the amps died, I got married, moved, sold the Amatis, and have always wanted to find that magic again.

I'm very interested in the new Amati G5, but maybe adding subs to my SF Electa Amator III is a better option. I'm also waiting on delivery of the parts for a Pure Audio Project Tro15-Coax10, and maybe that will provide some of the Songer S2 magic at a lower price. Pure Audio Project also has an option for a field coil midrange. For a more affordable planar system, maybe the Eminent Tech LFT-8c. And then the Volti Rivals in my 4th room. :)

I'm also waiting on delivery of the parts for a Pure Audio Project Tro15-Coax10, and maybe that will provide some of the Songer S2 magic at a lower price.
Just make sure you never hear the Songer ;)

( they are pretty great )

• Haha
I have mine. I was texting with Ron the other night saying I am boored with many of the threads because they pertain to products so far out of my price range I could care less. And also, I am satisfied with most all my gear. I feel I have a preamp and amp that are as good as anything. I don't care the cost. FWIW, my amp is now a pair of monoblock Found Music Blades.

My speakers shocked myself and the maker of my amps when we applied his amp to my system. He said he did not realize the speakers had it in them to do what they do.

Are they perfect. No. But they check a lot of boxes. The only thing they don't do is punch. But they have a life that is hard to beat. For a $8k speaker they play Jazz and Classical and singer songwriter music very well. If your into driving rock and PROG or like heavy bass rich, fat playback, look elsewhere.

To me. They sit between a Magico/Wilson and a Horn. They have that horn bass that really shows you the wood in a stand up. But its not going to pressurize the room with a overly saturated recording of towers of electric bass drivers. Mud like that comes through better with other speakers. Its not my thing, so I don't care.

Reactions: AudioHR and Rumpole
I'm also waiting on delivery of the parts for a Pure Audio Project Tro15-Coax10, and maybe that will provide some of the Songer S2 magic at a lower price. Pure Audio Project also has an option for a field coil midrange. For a more affordable planar system, maybe the Eminent Tech LFT-8c. And then the Volti Rivals in my 4th room. :)
You have to get the updated speaker cables. Its critical.

And , you have to separate the crossover from the frame. Again critical.

If the crossover is touching the frame, the music is very smeared from the intense physical vibration.

If you use stock, instead of upgraded cables, you loose life, air and bass. Less coherent.

The speaker is very good with these tweeks. You don't need to futz with any caps or reaistors with the Coax crossover.

You need to be patient. They take 500 hours like any speaker to break in. 2000 or a year to really be there. I actually put my coax in the basement connected to a class D amp and laptop for week and let it rip sitting on the floor. I would go dowm 3 or 4 times a day to switxh the album and volume.

Also, mine sit on a 9 inch tall very heavy block of wood that sits on fiberglass insulation. A rug would also work. Massive improvement in bass. Just shocking. And, it raises the center of the coax much closer to ear height. Otherwise its too low and like sitting in a balcony.

The fabric over the top keeps the sun from striking the driver. That is all its for.

Attachments

• 20230826_135210.jpg
    20230826_135210.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Let's generalize this to "panel dipole speaker"

Which genre of music would you play most on each of these type of speakers?
1. Why don't Istart with dynamic speakers that have a myriad of problems. Yet more than any other speaker they can be the jack of all trades. They can do everything well and excel at mid to low bass. I prefer open baffle.
2. Horns, can make big sound and can have excellent dispersion. I think they get excel at large scale music, such as full orchestra and big band.
3.Planars can go big but excel at small scale music like vocals and acoustic instruments. While bass is limited what has is coherent and refined. There is little to no ringing.
4. Headphones are rich on detail and make the room irrelevant. I am still trying to decipher why some sound better outdoors.

Last edited:
1. Why don't Istart with dynamic speakers that have a myriad of problems. Yet more than any other speaker they can be the jack of all trades. They can do everything well and excel at mid to low bass. I prefer open baffle.
2. Horns, can make big sound and can have excellent dispersion. I think they get excel at large scale music, such as full orchestra and big band.
3.Planars can go big but excel at small scale music like vocals and acoustic instruments. While bass is limited what has is coherent and refined. There is little to no ringing.
5, Headphones are rich on detail and make the room irrelevant. I am still trying to decipher why some sound better outdoors.

horns are also amazing at small scale chamber and are dual FLH are by far the best for rock. There are many videos of horns (and actually only horns) playing all music including chamber, tuttis, female and male vocals, and rock and metal).

planars are not as good at small scale, stats are.

for midbass weight and integration to above and below by far is a dual FLH and worst is a cone, and dual FLH is partially open.

How did you learn to count 1, 2, 3, 5?

Last edited:
horns are also amazing at small scale chamber and are dual FLH are by far the best for rock. There are many videos of horns (and actually only horns) playing all music including chamber, tuttis, female and male vocals, and rock and metal).

planars are not as good at small scale, stats are.

for midbass weight and integration to above and below by far is a dual FLH and worst is a cone, and dual FLH is partially open.

How did you learn to count 1, 2, 3, 5?

What is "dual FLH" please...

Attachments

• 89435177_1514103265431374_642225158395789312_o-1.jpg
    89435177_1514103265431374_642225158395789312_o-1.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 9
  • 89352827_1514103235431377_2207701344347750400_o-1.jpg
    89352827_1514103235431377_2207701344347750400_o-1.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 89372910_1514103308764703_747591709872881664_o-1.jpg
    89372910_1514103308764703_747591709872881664_o-1.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: AudioGod and XV-1
dual woofer (usually 15 inch) front loaded horn
Ked I found a pic of an end game front loaded horn with dual woofers…
2FBC9538-97C1-40B2-9160-52E680CF8555.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing