What is high end audio all about?

Being able to get lost in the music without the use of mind altering substances. :D

This would also be at least part of my opinion as well

Being able to get lost in the music without the use of mind altering substances. :D

Some "high end" truth to that.

To better appreciate known and undiscovered live music.

That is the first true priority of any/all living audiophiles on our planet.

* High end audio = Audiophile on a serious mission. :b

Last edited:
I know it's been discussed here before, but "high fidelity" to what? The master tape? The sound in the studio (where most listeners have never been)? The sound in the concert hall (where different seats usually have dramatically different sound)?

Low fidelity is obvious.

It is certainly about enjoying music. But that can also be done in a car or on a radio. For me, it becomes "High-End Audio" when it is also about the process of trying to improve my system to where it reproduces music which sounds more like what I hear at a live musical performance. As such, it is a never-ending pursuit and an enjoyable challenge that is often shared with friends.

Low fidelity is obvious.

not everyone has the benefit of experience to discern the obvious. i think at least some educated exposure is required before one begins to care about low -vs- high fidelity.

High end is sound reproduction with high quality aiming at musical enjoyment by consumers. It needs an open mind to accept the importance and focus on some aspects that are not well proven, and unfortunately seems to follow, in general, the rule that if you put more money on it you can be rewarded with better sound quality. Surely more money per se does not warrant automatically better quality.

the pursuit of reproducing recorded music with the highest possible fidelity irrespective of the cost or complexity of the apparatus used.

anything referred to as 'high end' be it cars, audio, wrist watches, wine, fine dinning, etc has a cost involed and its never cheap.

Last edited:
the pursuit of reproducing recorded music with the highest possible fidelity irrespective of cost or complexity.

anything referred to as 'high end' be it cars, audio, wrist watches, wine, fine dinning, etc has a cost involed and its never cheap.

You forgot "meat" too, including women. :b

8 hours

#1] I must be able to listen to the system & enjoy myself for at least 8 hours at a time.
#2] the system playing at moderate volume must be able to fill my large house with music.

Best to all,
David

The original question was directed to WBF members. If you're talking about the masses, then you're right. Just like if you only ate at McDonalds, you wouldn't know places like the French Laundry existed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing