What is high end audio all about?

Thomas Beecham reputedly said:

It is quite untrue that British people don't appreciate music. They may not understand it but they absolutely love the noise it makes.

That applies to me, I think. If it was simply about the musical performance, I'd be happy with one of those little mid-fi stereos for £200. However, I think most of us get off on the psychophysical effect of sound itself. We have all probably had some moment of epiphany in our youth when we heard hi fi for the first time and became instantly hooked on the physical sound of it, and have been pursuing a bigger and bigger hit ever since. Mix that in with most men's love of technical equipment (I definitely have that), and high end audio is the perfect recipe for male obsession. Deep down I also have the notion that hi fi is a symbol of 'lifestyle', which stems from the 1970s when every stylish house on TV, and the ones I visited in real life, had a highly visible audio system with large speakers. I certainly had audio envy by the time I was 11, drooling over all the hi fi magazines, and that was when I started to assemble my first extremely poor, but symbolically important system.

So for me, audio is inextricably linked with music, the physical thrill of powerful sound, childhood memories, lifestyle aspirations, and notions of good taste. Expensiveness is not a factor, however, so my idea of 'high end' is more related to how much time I put into creating it (building my own speakers and active crossover software, for example) than how much money it costs. I also have a leaning towards vintage equipment, that was once considered 'high end', which satisfies my nostalgia for the 1970s lifestyle. One day I'll have the perfect house and room to put it in...

Nice post, Groucho. :)

Tom

Since my first cassette player in 6th grade to my present system, for me, it has always been about emotion and connection to the music, first and formost.

I know it's been discussed here before, but "high fidelity" to what? The master tape? The sound in the studio (where most listeners have never been)? The sound in the concert hall (where different seats usually have dramatically different sound)?

Fidelity to the master tape (or Wave file). A playback system can't recreate something that wasn't captured by the microphones in the first place. The best we can hope for is to not audibly degrade the music that was captured originally. I know some people think the holy grail is recreating the sound and experience of a live event, and that's a worthy goal, but it's outside the purview of a playback system. Further, a lot of music never existed as a live event. Even classical music is often a bunch of separate takes that were spliced together.

--Ethan

or what my wife says... "He must be compensating for something" !! ;)

Exotic Paralysis, Fascination, Communication in forms that cannot be spoken any other way.

A playback system can't recreate something that wasn't captured by the microphones in the first place.

--Ethan

Hello, Ethan. At the risk of sounding argumentative [which is not my intent], it has been discussed at great length here at the WBF that a microphone can not record height in a recording, yet a playback system [system and speaker type dependent] can have the ability to recreate the illusion of height. Just playing a Devil's Advocate here...

Tom

It is all about the search for pleasure, our brain feeds from it and needs it!
Some find it in high speed cars or motorcycles, some find it in excersice, some in Golf, some reading!
I think we audiophiles find it in music waves exciting our brain...

Of course one does not exclude the other, but realisticly speaking, what do you have more money invested on?

Hello, Ethan. At the risk of sounding argumentative [which is not my intent], it has been discussed at great length here at the WBF that a microphone can not record height in a recording, yet a playback system [system and speaker type dependent] can have the ability to recreate the illusion of height. Just playing a Devil's Advocate here...

Tom

it's a kind of magic

It makes music make more sense.

Tom

Tom,

You are not paying the Devil's Advocate, you are playing the audiophile advocate. :) We risk that this issue evolves in a linguistic debate. A microphone can not capture height, but an instrument sounds different if it is playing in a low position or in a high position. In some systems the indirect clues about height position embedded in the recording are enough to create a correct illusion of height in the soundstage, that can be very gratifying.

In order to debate this issue you need psycoacoustics, starting with how we perceive height of a sound source and understanding it is a completely different from lateral and depth localization.

All IMHO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing