What is new in my music library? (recent purchases I enjoy)

thanks...I found this remaster:

Sheffield Lab Recordings is pleased to present the reissue of a historic recording: The Harry James Sessions. Consisting of three albums originally recorded direct-to-disc by Sheffield in 1976 and 1979, and now spectacularly re-mastered by Seth Winner from analog disc originals, this program of music from the height of the swing era is a vital representation of one of the great big bands of the 20th century. To hear this music recorded by Sheffield from the perspective of a single stereo microphone, is to hear this magnificent band as dancers heard it in front of the bandstand, with the impact and energy that we don't associate with historic recordings of another era. Pretty thrilling stuff! This amazing 2 disc set includes ALL the music from the Original LP albums: THE KING JAMES VERSION, COMIN' FROM A GOOD PLACE and STILL HARRY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS.

interesting. the SQ will still be dependent on the quality of their LP playback chain for mastering, id think 96/24 would be a minimum to get a hint of what's on the D2D and at the end of the day its still a copy. tell us what you think of it when you get it.

interesting. the SQ will still be dependent on the quality of their LP playback chain for mastering, id think 96/24 would be a minimum to get a hint of what's on the D2D and at the end of the day its still a copy. tell us what you think of it when you get it.

For sure...I am sure it will be great...the question (which I will not be able to answer)...is how well does it compare to the vinyl. As far as I am concerned, the music sounded good on the snips I heard, and I am look forward to it. Sheffield Labs is good stuff. thanks for the advice!

the CD is mastered from a tape back-up. the LP press is direct-to-disc and sonically blows away all subsequent remasters.

I agree. I can say that a high quality needle drop made from the direct cut is much better than the CD. If you want to listen to vinyl at its best you should listen to DD.

I've heard all of the various releases of this disc, IMO the D to D original LP that I was referring to is simply in another league altogether. In fact, I would go as far as saying that it is close ( very close) to the best sounding LP that I have ever heard. The trick is getting a sealed or mint copy, which isn't that easy given the LP's age. Most copies are VG++ at best and so background noise slips in and dynamics tend to suffer a little. IMHO, this LP is reference quality and shows the difference between analog at its best and digital. Lloyd, do try and hear an original LP on a good TT if you can...BUT be warned, you may be getting into analog IF you do, LOL:D.

I've broken the seal on every Sheffield except for missing link I and even sealed the pressing quality was variable. they were mostly pressed in Germany and would have been better served pressed by JVC. "cripple creek breakdown" is a killer demo cut from dave grusin's "discovered again" but try finding a quiet copy (by 2014 standards), same goes for the Thelma Houston disc. among others.

For sure...I am sure it will be great...the question (which I will not be able to answer)...is how well does it compare to the vinyl. As far as I am concerned, the music sounded good on the snips I heard, and I am look forward to it. Sheffield Labs is good stuff. thanks for the advice!

I would think they would sound quite different. Playing the actual D2D LP in one's own system will surely sound different than a digital recording made from someone playing the D2D in their system. You are going to be listening to that guy's table, arm, cartridge, phono section, line stage, and whatever digital recorder was used to make the recording.

I've broken the seal on every Sheffield except for missing link I and even sealed the pressing quality was variable. they were mostly pressed in Germany and would have been better served pressed by JVC. "cripple creek breakdown" is a killer demo cut from dave grusin's "discovered again" but try finding a quiet copy (by 2014 standards), same goes for the Thelma Houston disc. among others.

Most every Sheffield Labs D2D LP I have ever bought was noisy.

I've heard all of the various releases of this disc, IMO the D to D original LP that I was referring to is simply in another league altogether. In fact, I would go as far as saying that it is close ( very close) to the best sounding LP that I have ever heard. The trick is getting a sealed or mint copy, which isn't that easy given the LP's age. Most copies are VG++ at best and so background noise slips in and dynamics tend to suffer a little. IMHO, this LP is reference quality and shows the difference between analog at its best and digital. Lloyd, do try and hear an original LP on a good TT if you can...BUT be warned, you may be getting into analog IF you do, LOL:D.

No he won't. Lloyd is a monogamous RB digital person. Lloyd won't even give a sideways glance to RB digital's cute cousins that belong to the Hi-Rez clan. He has achieved Zen with Zandan.

Most every Sheffield Labs D2D LP I have ever bought was noisy.

Unfortunately, that's easy to do Mark. When these LP's were new, most guys were using some kind of Grado or worse and damage to the grooves was inevitable. I got lucky, as I bought most of them new and either kept them sealed or played them very little. However, I played my Discovered Again yesterday ( I own four copies of this LP, one bought new and the rest used) and to my surprise all were noisy:(. Although to be fair, I did play the heck out of the Discovered again LP when I bought that one new in the day. Just goes to show you how easy it is to add wear to an LP, IF your playback gear is anything but perfectly set-up, or you played the heck out of it.
As Rob said above, the pressing quality of these LP's was also very variable. Although most of mine have been good when i opened them, some have had warps, noise and all of the usual suspects associated with analog.
I'm now in the hunt for a sealed Discovered Again, LOL.

No he won't. Lloyd is a monogamous RB digital person. Lloyd won't even give a sideways glance to RB digital's cute cousins that belong to the Hi-Rez clan. He has achieved Zen with Zandan.

Pretty much...;)

All of my Sheffield Lab D2D LPs were bought brand new by me. Other LPs that I bought from the same era don't have the noise the Sheffield Labs do.

All of my Sheffield Lab D2D LPs were bought brand new by me. Other LPs that I bought from the same era don't have the noise the Sheffield Labs do.

All your Sheffield's that you bought new had noise from the get go??? Or, are they just noisy now after multiple playings?

All your Sheffield's that you bought new had noise from the get go??? Or, are they just noisy now after multiple playings?

From the get go Davey. I didn't cause the noise to happen. Most Sheffield LPs were pressed on crappy vinyl is all I can assume.

What is the difference in quality from the production copy option to the master copy option...$150.00 vs $400.00 ?

When Jonathan sells you a "master copy" you are getting a tape that is duped straight from the master tape vice being one generation down.

From the get go Davey. I didn't cause the noise to happen. Most Sheffield LPs were pressed on crappy vinyl is all I can assume.

I guess it's a bit of a crap shoot then. I did not remember the Sheffield's as being particularly noisy in the day, however, I didn't open too many of them. OTOH, I do find now that the one's I have listened to recently can be noisy, assumed it was due to some error on my part in the past. Although this latest acquisition of King Harry is very quiet and it is a wonderful sounding LP. I guess our systems are also far more resolving than what we had in the past, I know mine for sure is.
I do think in this day and age, there is NO excuse for anyone releasing a noisy pressing on LP....none.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing