What is new in my music library? (recent purchases I enjoy)

I bought the Sheffield D2D James Newton Howard & Friends when it first came out and it was noisy. My brother always loved that LP and he went through some trouble and expense to track down a sealed copy so I could transfer it to tape for him. Guess what? The sealed copy was noisy on the very first play which bummed my brother out.

New Mike Dillon Band LP comes out tomorrow...I'm seeing him live at the Tractor Tavern and hopefully get the vinyl signed.

Here's a taste...

A lot! Particulary ambience retreival.

Seems to me the only difference between the production copies is that the master is used to make the production dub and the customers get a copy of that. One more generation over the master dub option. iME there is not much difference sonically between a first gen of a master and a second gen of the same master. $150 vs $400 for essentially the same quality music.

I just found a mint copy of this...View attachment 14990

It is a superb Sheffield Lab DtoD recording and well worth laying your hands on IF you like great SQ and Big Band.

I just got this in and it is great. Seller said it was near mint but it has quite a few scuffs and on one side a scratch all the way across on the other. I ran it through the AD and gave it a listen. Surprisingly quiet and not too many pops. It was only $10 including shipping, so I can't complain too much.

View attachment 14990

I just got this in and it is great. Seller said it was near mint but it has quite a few scuffs and on one side a scratch all the way across on the other. I ran it through the AD and gave it a listen. Surprisingly quiet and not too many pops. It was only $10 including shipping, so I can't complain too much.

My 2-CD set version apparently remastered from Analog discs arrives on Wed...will be interesting to hear it. sounded promising on Amazon's snips...

Sean,
I've got an extra copy. It's yours if you want it...

Hi Mark, If you are sure you won't miss it, that would be great!

Perfect. Now we have an excuse for that long delayed listening session. PM me and we'll figure out a time...

Junko Ohnishi: Musical Moments
Marika Hiraga: Batucada - Jazz'n Bossa
Rika Tanaka: When She Flows
Takako Asofu: Kon
Karen Aoki: Shining
Keiko Matsui: Soul Quest
Aiko Ito with Philip Strange Piano Trio: They Say It's Spring
Kaori Nishijima: White in Dark
Hitomi Nishiyama Trio: Music in You
Jyun Satsuma: Jump for Joy
Yoshiaki Okayasu: Trustworthy
Kyoko Kawamura: A Retrospective
Takeshi Ishikawa Trio: Get Here
Hironobu Saito: Golden Circle

Glad everyone is liking my Sheffield Lab Harry James LP suggestion. Lloyd, do post when you get your digital version, I will be interested to hear your thoughts.
Now, IF I could just source another M&K For Duke in Mint condition at a reasonable price:rolleyes:....Since we are talking DtoD LP's,I like 'For Duke" a LOT better than Harry James; BUT they are both great.

Glad everyone is liking my Sheffield Lab Harry James LP suggestion. Lloyd, do post when you get your digital version, I will be interested to hear your thoughts.
Now, IF I could just source another M&K For Duke in Mint condition at a reasonable price:rolleyes:....Since we are talking DtoD LP's,I like 'For Duke" a LOT better than Harry James; BUT they are both great.

Now that we are on the subject of D2D records, here is one I picked up a couple of weeks ago that is very nice. Take The "A" Train by The Third. A Japanese D2D with Japanese musicians. Very good sonics and the music is good as well. It was distributed by Audio Technica.

Another very good D2D that Gary Koh just mentioned in another thread is Les Brown goes direct to disc. Gary and Joe turned me onto this one some time ago. Think I will get a back up before the prices go up.:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing