What is the benefit of very expensive DACs?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I totally disagree with this... IMO... the Bricasti, Grace and Weiss do not belong in A+
The Benchmark, Halide and M2Tech do not belong in "A" either.

I would put each in the next lower category. The QA-9 is an "A" at best.

At least my Mytech made it into Class A. I think it sounds fantastic.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I totally disagree with this... IMO... the Bricasti, Grace and Weiss do not belong in A+
The Benchmark, Halide and M2Tech do not belong in "A" either.

I would put each in the next lower category.

Agree about the Benchmark.

I think the Weiss is excellent. John Marks, John Atkinson, Michael Lavorgna, and several other
knowleagable writers feel the Bricasti is superb.

Just goes to show....;)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Agree about the Benchmark.

I think the Weiss is excellent. John Marks, John Atkinson, Michael Lavorgna, and several other
knowleagable writers feel the Bricasti is superb.

Just goes to show....;)

Yeah... I didn't like the Bricasti at all. I'd put in in the same level as the Berkeley... a solid "Class A".

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yeah... I didn't like the Bricasti at all. I'd put in in the same level as the Berkeley... a solid "Class A".

Sphile gave the Bricasti a lot of ink. I only heard it briefly.

The Sphile ratings are not even on my radar. I can't make through 30 minutes with the MyTek.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Guess, what..I have NO problem with introducing blind testing into the audiophile hobby. I wonder how many
companies would still be in business.:p

Andre,
But will you introduce it systematically in your reviews? Are you prepared to accept that all your previous reviewing work that was done sighted is not valid? ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sphile gave the Bricasti a lot of ink. I only heard it briefly.

The Sphile ratings are not even on my radar. I can't make through 30 minutes with the MyTek.

How much time did you spend listening to DSD files through the balanced outputs? I can't spend 30 minutes straight listening to PCM regardless of type.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I know your questions is a bit of a joke, but here is my answer.

First, blind testing is not a solitary endeavor. Kinda does not work.;)

Secondly, I believe blind testing is only ONE tool that can be used, but not the end all or be all.

I stand by everything I have ever written, btw.:cool:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The October 2013 issue of Stereophile has their recommended components. Here their recommended DACs/Ratings/MSRPs:

A+ Grace Design M903 ($1995) & NAD M51 ($1999).

Those two are worthy of further exploration. ...Anyone here?

Grace Design M903 ::

* http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct12/articles/grace-m903.htm
* http://www.stereophile.com/content/fifth-element-69

NAD M51 ::

* http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/cd-dvd-blu-ray/62-cd-reviews/504-nad-m51-dac.html
* http://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-m51-direct-digital-da-converter

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Those two are worthy of further exploration. ...Anyone here?

I had the Grace 903 and 906 in here for a few months. The m906 was in here about a year.

I know first hand the 903 is not worthy of an "A+" rating.
Have never heard the NAD in my room, so I can not comment.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I know your questions is a bit of a joke, but here is my answer.

First, blind testing is not a solitary endeavor. Kinda does not work.;)

Secondly, I believe blind testing is only ONE tool that can be used, but not the end all or be all.

I stand by everything I have ever written, btw.:cool:

Yes, it was a joke, but the main problem I see is that when you refer that you accept blind testing in high-end, where the differences are instrumentally small, you are implicitly discarding all the tools that are not that ONE. There is no half blind test technique.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I had the Grace 903 and 906 in here for a few months. The m906 was in here about a year.

I know first hand the 903 is not worthy of an "A+" rating.
Have never heard the NAD in my room, so I can not comment.

Then Stereophile (John Marks) made a mistake?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Your response is quite vague and puzzling I can tell you that nobody purchasing the NA-11S1 would use an external DAC. There are dozens of
streamers to choose from that have far less features and less expensive that would be better suited if one was going to use an external DAC.

Secondly, calling the SA-11S3 "dull" is just a head scratcher to me. But certainly you are more than entitled to your opinion.

What's a streamer in the $3000 range then? With AES, SPDIF and/or BNC out?

alexandre

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
No argument here. The difference in various topologies does not explain the prices of certain DACS, which seem to be arbitrary.

Indeed, prices for hi end gear these days is almost entirely arbitrary, not only DACs...

alexandre

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I own both an msb signature and an NAD m51 (for my surround channels) both a+. Just for kicks I could do a shootout and see how they compare.

I don't think the items on a given category are supposed to be "comparable". I mean, they're supposed to be the best (or good for that category), FOR THEIR PRICE RANGE.

So, for around $10k, it's the Bricasti and Debussy, etc.

alexandre

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't think the items on a given category are supposed to be "comparable". I mean, they're supposed to be the best (or good for that category), FOR THEIR PRICE RANGE.

alexandre

I don't think so. Class A rankings are given according to the sound and not the price I do believe.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You're right, I looked up on last year's guide, and they mention a "$$$" sign next to a component they found to be particularly good value for money. That was the only place where the component's price was alluded in the guide.

alexandre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

alexandre

The real problem with any and all of these "rating schemes" is that they're an arbitrary compendium from a group of reviewers. Are all the reviewers equal? That kinda makes it meaningless. It's another story say if John had listened to all of the DACs in his system and rated them.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
What's a streamer in the $3000 range then? With AES, SPDIF and/or BNC out?

alexandre

Bryston BDP-1/BDP-2, Olive 04HD, Oppo 105, Musical Fidelity M1 CLIC, SIM Mind, Pro-Ject Stream box, and several dozen more from Pioneer, Denon, NAD,
etc etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing