What is the most Forgiving Speaker/ Amp Combo at the High End for guys who like to Stream (Many Crap Recordings) that are recommended by algorithms?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Would be helpful to have a few examples of specific titles you find to be crappy when streamed.
Parker

Wow! Gorgeous looking horns in your avatar...made me salivate and lose my focus for a moment :)

But sure, I would argue most recordings suck. We have had the loudness wars for the last 20 years or so, and pop / rock recordings over that time period are victims. Much of rock and blues in the seventies and eighties sucks.

A couple of specific examples: Mike Bloomfield Live at the Old Waldorf is okay - it can sound decent and be emotionally moving in the right system, but not all systems.

Brian Setzer Orchestra Live - The Ultimate collection just sucks. So do many Delmark and Alligator records recordings. Just too many exampels

Reactions: pdubya

caesar

May 30, 2010
I listen to a lot of alt/indie/lo-fi for background office music and working out. A lot of my Tidal playlists with this type of music sound darn good on the MBL 121's -- a bit more enjoyable overall than what I hear through the horns. Don't even try to listen to this stuff in the YG/Luxman system, which is in a dedicated room.
Have no idea if the higher-end MBL's would decrease streaming enjoyment of this sort of music.
I have a playlist of albums from Spoon, Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger (Lennon's son), Ride, Caffeine, Mark Lanegan, the Districts, Elle King, etc. that are just too compressed/hot to include in other playlists because any sort of randomized listening would result in very incompatible volume levels. Not sure these could ever past "audiophile" muster no matter the system.
Other end of musical spectrum -- classical (usually orchestral) that sounds like it was recorded in someone's pocket out in the vestibule. Not sure even a system like Mike's would render these pleasant listens.
I've been told that Harb's can be very friendly to less-than-perfect recordings. Not sure if these are high-enough end for OP's purposes.
Parker

I think MBL 101's are pretty good at crappy recordings with a reference level DAC, as they are both emotionally transparent and transparent to recordings, but there is stuff I won't play on them.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Wow! Gorgeous looking horns in your avatar...made me salivate and lose my focus for a moment :)

But sure, I would argue most recordings suck. We have had the loudness wars for the last 20 years or so, and pop / rock recordings over that time period are victims. Much of rock and blues in the seventies and eighties sucks.

A couple of specific examples: Mike Bloomfield Live at the Old Waldorf is okay - it can sound decent and be emotionally moving in the right system, but not all systems.

Brian Setzer Orchestra Live - The Ultimate collection just sucks. So do many Delmark and Alligator records recordings. Just too many exampels

Caesar, I get the impression you're a bit uncertain what your real concern is but here you seem to zero in on your perceived crux of the matter. You say here most recordings suck, loudness wars, most rock and blues of the 70's and 80's suck, etc.

I doubt a more resolving higher-end speaker will make things sound worse. Well, except for one case and that is where the components are so overloaded with distortions and a given speaker for the most part just speaks what it's told to speak.

But that's the universal problem we all face to one good degree or another as perhaps any reasonable or better speaker is for the most part sonically translating / converting the input signal provided up stream. And whether it's music or distortions, a speaker should rarely if ever discriminate between music signals and distortion signals cuz it's all just input as far as the speaker is concerned.

Your argument here is that most recordings suck. In contrast, I would argue most recordings are surprisingly good to spectacular even those deemed by some to be inferior-engineered recordings. What could possibly explain our potentially diametrically opposed views? There's a number of questions and potential answers that could be bantered but I suspect one of us may not be asking the right questions.

It seems you've found yourself in a bit of a dilemma here. If indeed you're convinced that highly resolving higher-end speakers make playback music sound even worse, then the only logical conclusion would be to downgrade, right? But wouldn't that go against the grain of high-end audio's existence as an industry / hobby?

What I find interesting is that you blame speakers for being too resolving and you blame the recordings for being too poorly engineered. Yet, you seem to have dismissed everything in between as playing any kind of role in this significant apparent lack of musicality.

At the very least, I'm guessing you're not giving serious enough consideration to the bulk of the playback vineyard which is everything between the speaker and the recording.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Fair enough ... I guess I am suggesting then that the whole chain needs to be re-engineered to improve the ever popular streaming experience

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
harbeth , any amp with enough power will do the trick at a basic level its a friendly speaker.
Dynaudio lower level speakers may be :rolleyes:

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
pdubya - Those horns are gorgeous! I also took pause.

I wife recently started a conversation how I need to give up my system. Imagine an increasingly intense conversation that fortunately was quickly discovered to be a parallel conversation. To my relief, "oh! the speakers! You don't like the aesthetics of my speakers?!?" Fine. She gave me approval for TotalDac speaker purchase. Argument averted she did not mind the price penalty.

Now on task! This month alone I too grappled with this very issue. My wife loves modern pop music and 20% is very well recorded. 80% has become increasingly difficult for me to listen to. My system is voiced so honest, compressed music has no forgiveness. I discovered a DHT preamp finds beauty in every recording.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing