What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

scot

Jan 4, 2018
I do remember the La Luce tables, one of the most stunningly beautiful tables at any price. No pictures? I would love to see it again. Are they still in business? Take care.

Best regards
Scot

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Christensenleif

Awesome picture! My favorite thing in that picture though is the myriad of wires draped over the banister! Where do all those go? What is the name brand of the two wooden tonearms? Not familiar with them. Take care.

Best regards
Scot

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi noregrets

My first high end table was the venerable LP12. I had a Naim Aro tonearm, a Naim Prefix phono stage that mounted under the bottom of the LP12 and a Supercap for the Prefix (even my dealer did a double take when I told him to order me a Supercap for the Prefix) and the cartridge was a Dynavector DRTXV1S. I had to get the heavier counter weight because that cartridge weighed a ton. But boy did that rig play music! I loved that setup for many years.Take care.

Best regards
Scot

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi noregrets

My first high end table was the venerable LP12. I had a Naim Aro tonearm, a Naim Prefix phono stage that mounted under the bottom of the LP12 and a Supercap for the Prefix (even my dealer did a double take when I told him to order me a Supercap for the Prefix) and the cartridge was a Dynavector DRTXV1S. I had to get the heavier counter weight because that cartridge weighed a ton. But boy did that rig play music! I loved that setup for many years.Take care.

Best regards
Scot
The lp12 is still a great turntable.my friend has the latest version of it and he loves it.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
That's a great looking custom Thorens! I also like the photographs you have there. Did you happen to take those shots?

One of my other hobbies is photography. I have had a lot of fellow musicians have me capture photos of them while performing and I like to rotate them on my music room's walls. I'll try and post a pic here....
P.S. This image was simply taken with my cell phone, not with my good gear, lol.

View attachment 85430

Best wishes,
Don
Thank you, pics from pearl jam lp box in ikea frames perfect for lp covers too.photography only lumix camera , before digita area i had
contax rts for nature pics.
IMG20211128221511.jpg IMG20211128221502.jpg

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
This La Luce had been restored by Steve Dobbins, tonearm rewired with Schroeder copper wire.
I still have original SpJ string drive motor, but I’m using Dereneville motor now.
Good choice, and Derenville motor rainers masterpiece?
P. S Rainer is 60 miles away from me.
170602-2032-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I do remember the La Luce tables, one of the most stunningly beautiful tables at any price. No pictures? I would love to see it again. Are they still in business? Take care.

Best regards
Scot
Speaking with Judith Spotheim it appears she might do one off sample at best, no regular production to my understanding. She supplied some spare parts though without problem.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I love that motor, made all the difference. I should try different drive belts though. Don’t know where to start.
this is a difficult topic, every turntable and motor reacts differently to the material of the belt or the pretensioning.
Here have a large selection of drive belts to try. just only in German.
Or a special company made custom belts

Reactions: Scott Naylor

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
This La Luce had been restored by Steve Dobbins, tonearm rewired with Schroeder copper wire.
I still have original SpJ string drive motor, but I’m using Dereneville motor now.
Nice turntable and motor, I have the same motor and it improved my turntable no end. :)

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
...great care must be taken with the set up of the sub-chassis in order to get the best sound from the LP12. I too have heard LP12's sound dreadful, But always was due to the set up. However, when set up correctly and left sitting in place I have found that they stay set up for a long time. There are myths out there that you need to fiddle with the LP12 constantly to keep it in tune and that simply is not true.

Best wishes,
Don

So very true. Set and forget.
Yes, it is vital to set up the LP12 correctly for optimal results, but the LP12 machine is not as complex as many like to describe. It's all very straightforward.
Actually, the LP12 electrical and mechanical simplicity is something I like about it - because I don't need any help to fix it... A huge benefit in this day and age, when shipping companies are charging like a wounded bull - and your treasure often gets delivered damaged in transit.
Back to the turntables...

Reactions: No Regrets

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
That's a great looking custom Thorens! I also like the photographs you have there. Did you happen to take those shots?

One of my other hobbies is photography. I have had a lot of fellow musicians have me capture photos of them while performing and I like to rotate them on my music room's walls. I'll try and post a pic here....
P.S. This image was simply taken with my cell phone, not with my good gear, lol.

View attachment 85430

Best wishes,
Don
LOVE the LP baskets.
This way you get to enjoy the covers as you make your next selection. Nice.
I like the way the tops of the albums are protected too - not standing proud like many alternative storage receptacles.
Nice.

Reactions: No Regrets

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing