What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
The Transrotor Z models belongs to the really beautiful players that have the character of a sculpture with a lot of beautiful chrome. This is a Z3 with two tonearms, an SME and a Rega with holes in a special version. Georg hears a lot of pop of the seventies and eighties and jazz. His problem with this great music. Especially with POP of the 1970-80s it was fashionable, to sound with a lot of compression. The solution for Georg was then the AS Phonolab phono amplifier with the Recompizer. It can counteract exactly this problem with its dynamic expansion. It's amazing what dynamics I discovered last weekend in his old Tina Turner records, at that time still with Ike.
groovymaster
Phonolab_204608 Kopie_2.jpg

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I am curious to hear more about the Audiosilente graphite mat from you? Can you expand a little on the sonic effect?
Much more inner peace in the music, finer gradations of tone colors.
the bass has more punch overall cleaner audible.
the best mat for me.
tizo acryl mat has a similar effect. the possesses but not the calm is more agile. the background is not as silent as with graphite.
depends a little on the character of the turntable, what one loves more.

chet atkins

Jan 25, 2021
The Transrotor Z models belongs to the really beautiful players that have the character of a sculpture with a lot of beautiful chrome. This is a Z3 with two tonearms, an SME and a Rega with holes in a special version. Georg hears a lot of pop of the seventies and eighties and jazz. His problem with this great music. Especially with POP of the 1970-80s it was fashionable, to sound with a lot of compression. The solution for Georg was then the AS Phonolab phono amplifier with the Recompizer. It can counteract exactly this problem with its dynamic expansion. It's amazing what dynamics I discovered last weekend in his old Tina Turner records, at that time still with Ike.
groovymaster
View attachment 85873

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
how do horns ,nylon sting guitar and rock guitar with distortion peddle sound using the AS phono?
Authentic and precise is certainly the best way to describe the sound of your examples. Horns are fast systems, that I really like. We have often matched the AS Phonolab with Horns and Tube Amps. My skin tells me if it is right.
groovymaster

Reactions: Solypsa

chet atkins

Jan 25, 2021
Authentic and precise is certainly the best way to describe the sound of your examples. Horns are fast systems, that I really like. We have often matched the AS Phonolab with Horns and Tube Amps. My skin tells me if it is right.
groovymaster
i meant sax and trumpet

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Good choice, and Derenville motor rainers masterpiece?
P. S Rainer is 60 miles away from me.
View attachment 85443
170602-2032-jpeg.jpg

Hello Rainer,
great to see you here with your fantastic recordmachine. I recently had the pleasure of listening to your tonearm on a Techdas turntable. Swiss precision comes to mind. You are probably similarly uncompromising in your choice of electronics. What phono stage do you use? I see Tannoy speakers in the background.

groovemaster

Last edited:

Derainer

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
What phono stage do you use?

Hi Groovemaster,

thank you for your compliment. Well I have been using the Phonolab Pro from Audio Specials for two years.
I have had a few other phono preamps with me in the past. I am very satisfied with the Phonolab Pro.
No more reason to look around for something else.

Take care
Rainer

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Much more inner peace in the music, finer gradations of tone colors.
the bass has more punch overall cleaner audible.
the best mat for me.
tizo acryl mat has a similar effect. the possesses but not the calm is more agile. the background is not as silent as with graphite.
depends a little on the character of the turntable, what one loves more.
Thanks a lot for the info. Just wondering, what other mattes have you used?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Thanks a lot for the info. Just wondering, what other mattes have you used?
in the last 25 years a lot of micro seikì copper, kenwood ceramics, ringmat, dädmat, felt, glass and many more. and my own development of cork and rubber compound 2mm thin really good. 20211208_154759.jpg
Cork kevlar 20211208_160100.jpg

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
As people love to look at pictures, I thought I'd add a couple to the thread...

The first is of my modest Linn LP12/Aro/Benz Ruby Zebrawood.
View attachment 86231

The second picture shows my Wavestream Kinetics Deluxe Reference Level 5.1 Phonoamp that I absolute love.
View attachment 86232

Wishing you all the very best this holiday season,
Don
A beautiful turntable And amplifier

Reactions: No Regrets

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Nice!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing