What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is worth mentioning that I suspect that the Mayer that Howie has here wouldn’t sound especially like the current versions as quite different parts (for example Tango versus Lundahl etc). In other words, I recommend to be somewhat cautious in extrapolation. Not to say one wouldn’t prefer the original versions either!

The tango should be better than Lundahl, I have never compared just going by online babble. he has got the best of the tubes for the preamp.

For the phono he has got the better tubes Thomas himself preferred EC8020 but had to stop on those due to lack of availability so he moved to D3a (as he has himself written on DIY audio forum). The Western electric 437 Howie has are alternates to the EC8020 which is Thomas' favorite iDHT.

I haven't heard it as we only get to hear the D3a these days. It is the preamp that I think is great, the D3a phono is very good too but just that in phono space I like many. Jeroen also has the D3a next to his top of the line pass labs if someone wants to get notes.

Personally I haven't heard any kondo or audionote doing this level of nuance but there are differences in old kondo, new kondo, AN-J and AN-UK.

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.thomasmayer.li
The tango should be better than Lundahl, I have never compared just going by online babble. he has got the best of the tubes for the preamp.

Why? Which Tango compared to which Lundahl? There are transformers from Tango which are better and there are Lundahls which are better. There is no general ranking across all types. Tango also made some transformers which are just so-so. Besides in these there are no Tango transformers only the LCR EQ units are Tango

For the phono he has got the better tubes Thomas himself preferred EC8020 but had to stop on those due to lack of availability so he moved to D3a (as he has himself written on DIY audio forum). The Western electric 437 Howie has are alternates to the EC8020 which is Thomas' favorite iDHT.

It is never just the tubes. The phono circuit improved considerably compared to these very early designs

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes the famous tango EQ600

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why? Which Tango compared to which Lundahl? There are transformers from Tango which are better and there are Lundahls which are better. There is no general ranking across all types. Tango also made some transformers which are just so-so. Besides in these there are no Tango transformers only the LCR EQ units are Tango

It is never just the tubes. The phono circuit improved considerably compared to these very early designs

So Thomas, has your circuit for the preamp changed over the decade, apart from some of the things you have documented online like trying out alternate volume controls (e.g. Tribute, one off remote, and obviously the tango Lundahl shift?

Ed.P

Mar 12, 2018
I got my 10Y from Thomas relatively recently with the Slagle silver AVC in it (that I use with Thomas' 300B monoblocks). I also have my own passive diy Slagle silver AVC so can compare the two directly, although I haven't yet. Incidentally I also have an old Zanden 1000 phono that is MM only that I use with a separate SUT from Thomas using the silver Lundahl step-up transformers, and a newer D3a that uses the same transformers in copper. Not identical to Howie's set-up but my impression of the two phono stages is different: the Zanden is softer sounding and "prettier" and the D3a is much more dynamic and alive sounding. Both have excellent tone/timbre though.

Reactions: bonzo75

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.thomasmayer.li
So Thomas, has your circuit for the preamp changed over the decade, apart from some of the things you have documented online like trying out alternate volume controls (e.g. Tribute, one off remote, and obviously the tango Lundahl shift?
I generally do not do many changes but the phono circuit was changed considerably around 2015 resulting in a big step up in SQ. These old units use different power transformers. I changed to a different power transformer winder about 10 years ago who makes the transformers completely to my own specs and with better core material and shielding.

Besides that some minor improvements through learning over the years. There was no 'shift' from Tango to Lundahl. I don't understand why you keep writing that. I am sorry but you obviously know very little about my preamps. I never replaced any part that was previously Tango by Lundahl.

And of course there are the alternative versions of phono and line which use fully balanced circuits

Best regards

Thomas

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I generally do not do many changes but the phono circuit was changed considerably around 2015 resulting in a big step up in SQ. These old units use different power transformers. I changed to a different power transformer winder about 10 years ago who makes the transformers completely to my own specs and with better core material and shielding.

Besides that some minor improvements through learning over the years. There was no 'shift' from Tango to Lundahl. I don't understand why you keep writing that. I am sorry but you obviously know very little about my preamps. I never replaced any part that was previously Tango by Lundahl.

And of course there are the alternative versions of phono and line which use fully balanced circuits

Best regards

Thomas
A friend recently got one of your new phono stages. Sounds very nice.
20211017_144020.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I got my 10Y from Thomas relatively recently with the Slagle silver AVC in it (that I use with Thomas' 300B monoblocks). I also have my own passive diy Slagle silver AVC so can compare the two directly, although I haven't yet. Incidentally I also have an old Zanden 1000 phono that is MM only that I use with a separate SUT from Thomas using the silver Lundahl step-up transformers, and a newer D3a that uses the same transformers in copper. Not identical to Howie's set-up but my impression of the two phono stages is different: the Zanden is softer sounding and "prettier" and the D3a is much more dynamic and alive sounding. Both have excellent tone/timbre though.

Which cartridge and arm? I remember you used Decca London and blue.

Ed.P

Mar 12, 2018
Glanz and SPU Century with both, but also Schick and vdh crimson stradivarius with the Zanden. The Decca I couldn’t live with every day.

Reactions: bonzo75 and bazelio

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I used to have the Avid plus SME V plus Colibri, although not my MS version.
Could be interesting to try an Acoustic Signature arm. The new NEO models are really good, a lot better than SME V in my opinion.

Reactions: Odd Harry

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Very kool Howie. You are the bling miester :p Gold everywhere !!

Have you compared the sound of the 3102-R and the Ikeda tonearms?
Not with the same cart. The 9Gss has been on the Ikeda arm since I got it and it is a great combo. The Ikeda feels better put together than the SME though one is obviously older. The Ikeda is heavier and I feel would impart more solidity to the sound. One of my favourite arms.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I never compared 3012r and Ikeda directly but Ikeda there is always great feeling of weight and grounded ness, flowing and mice midrange. It rounds top slightly... SME might have less character across carts but I like Ikeda. Looks beautiful too

Myles1972

Mar 4, 2022
IMG_20220331_180834.jpg
Acoustic Solid Wood with Audiomods Series 6 tonearm.

Also coming tomorrow, a partly working Sansui XR-Q7 DD rather like the one below:-

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing