What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

He is delivering the arm and setting up the table. There is no need to harass him.

Sorry man was just teasing. Like how most audiophiles act when waiting for something they ordered :)

Installed this last week at Jimmy's

I KNEW you'd see that! :D

A simple table - the Thorens TD-309. This wasn't delivered in time for the Thorens fashion parade we did with the Pacific Northwest Audio Society earlier in the year. I wish it had though, because it would have given even the much more expensive TD-350 a very good run for the money.

It looks deceptively simple, but it is actually a suspended subchassis turntable, and it did the "Linn trick" straight out of the box. I could bounce it up and down (it moves perfectly pistonically) while playing a record without skipping or audible distortion.

Here's a video of it playing. You may have to sit through an ad first before viewing the video because FB decided that the copyright owner deserves so money for letting me put up copyrighted music ;)

Reactions: Scott Naylor
About a month ago, I finally changed my VPI HW19 II/ET2 after 26 years of continuous use. How's that for service? :D A good old trading partner offered me a New Old Stock Avid Diva 1 as a trade, and I thought that getting a circa year 2000+ table and a factory included Rega RB300 would not be that bad for a late 80s table and arm. :) I like suspension tables ever since and this one is 'bouncy bouncy' as they say. It's a bit tricky to set up, leveling the 3 spring feet and getting the right 'bounce' without anything inadvertently touching anything it's not supposed to touch. When it was all done, here is how it looks with my 5 year old Koetsu Rosewood Signature. Sounds beautiful. :)

DSCN0171.jpgDSCN0163.jpgDSCN0170.jpg

DSCN0072_zpse8cce234.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0091_zpsf1e8860f.jpg
    DSCN0091_zpsf1e8860f.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,101
Reactions: Scott Naylor
Then a friend custom made for me some metal post inserts where the dust cover will rest on. He said having the dust cover sit on the platter for a long time will ultimately pull the suspension springs down on the right side as the dust cover was designed with a loop to cover the tonearm. And the inserts above the suspension cover will prevent just than.

11.jpg1122.jpg

Jack how does the Techdas AFO sound with the Durrand Telos mounted on it? What cartridge and other electronics are used in this system? Cheers

Oh this got by me.

Sounds great SA. These arms perform as good as they look. On the Telos is an Atlas and on the Talea II a Gold Finger Statement. Phonostages are EMT JP-66 with Tele 803s throughout.

Pre is a VTL 7.5 Series 3, Speakers are VSA VR-11Mk2s, Amps for the Mids and highs are VAC 450 Statement IQs, for the midbass, Sigfried 2s.

Tape machines are an 820 into a custom King Cello and an ATR into an Aria.

Cables are all Elation for signal, all Zitron Anaconda (I think that's what they are) for power.

Looking good Phil!!!!!!!! :D

Let you know when we get to GEEK out on that other thing. ;)

Oh this got by me.

Sounds great SA. These arms perform as good as they look. On the Telos is an Atlas and on the Talea II a Gold Finger Statement. Phonostages are EMT JP-66 with Tele 803s throughout.

Pre is a VTL 7.5 Series 3, Speakers are VSA VR-11Mk2s, Amps for the Mids and highs are VAC 450 Statement IQs, for the midbass, Sigfried 2s.

Tape machines are an 820 into a custom King Cello and an ATR into an Aria.

Cables are all Elation for signal, all Zitron Anaconda (I think that's what they are) for power.

Awesome additions to the phalanx for audio toys of the Emperor, Jack. I'm glad I'm updated here. :D I get updates from the Emperor only every quarter. :D

Looking good Phil!!!!!!!! :D

Let you know when we get to GEEK out on that other thing. ;)

Thanks buddy. :)

Woohoo! I'm excited bout the Geek. I have ripped most of my prized CDs into my PC HD. AIFF. Dafos has been guiding me slowly into doing it. Then we'll try those hi res files. :)

the BEAT

9964492503_221c061acc_c.jpg

9964495163_48143aefb0_c.jpg

9964396844_5b0c127fbd_c.jpg

9964366055_a9367ea890_c.jpg

9964367115_b0600f4f0c_c.jpg

Hey thanks guys. Living up to expectations so far. Have a large heavy duty PAB isolation platform showing up for it soon which will be interesting.

Yes Bruce, ultra 5's on the TT and PSU.

Lotus, Great looking table. I heard one at RMAF 2010 and spent some time with Steve Dobbins. I returned to that room four times because of the great sounds. Congratulations.

I presume from your signature that the cartridge is a Transfiguration and speakers are Avalon. Must sound great.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing