what's best sounding speaker you have ever heard?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I guess I'd rather say the speakers I like by appearance alone.
Box: Goebel Divin Marquis in black. Looks like a Teutonic hammer, very masculine, damn the WAF
Panels: Any Apogee or Alsyvox
Horns: Jadis Eurythmie. Love the carnivorous flower look, never heard them.

Reactions: christoph and hogen

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Probably jinxing it, but the seller is countering our offer on 4.7 acres. If we get it, I will probably go with a hybrid room setup. A living type room. But one that is thoughtful in materials and design to help a system play well. I fully believe the room is required in taking it to the next level. Without it, you can hear the "voice" of a speaker or system, but I don't think you can fully appreciate its capabilities until it has the space to develop the sound.

I don't think you can say you really know what a speaker can do, as in, is it the best you have heard, until its in a tuned room.

FWIW, Rhapsody Bob in Portland has a beautiful room.
You are going to “tune” a room to a particular speaker?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congrats,
i always liked this system.
I also remember very well when in 1982 i listened in Paris ML system with 6 ML2

Was shocking,when entered in the room they were playing La Folia De La Espana,Gregorio Paniagua,i remember also now,fantastic.

What do you have in the middle of 2 Quad? Electrostatic tweeter RTR?

In the late 80's I helped a good friend to assemble a complete ML HQD system. The large refrigerator size Hartley 24" subwoofers weighted almost 1000 pounds each! And surely we listened a lot to Paniagua LaFolia - it sounded impressive. He had a very large room and bass was deep and tight - it sounded extremely life like. Years later I bought some parts of this system, including the stacked ESL57, but did not have the space to put the whole system. I would love to listen again to such a system.

Reactions: MRJAZZ

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The Wilson WAMMs at David and Sheryl Lee’s home. Lifelike.

A close second were the XVX Chronosonics at Paragon Sight & Sound.

The best monitors were the Borreson M1.

I am heading to Magico soon to hear the M9s.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I guess I'd rather say the speakers I like by appearance alone.
Any Apogee or Alsyvox
Horns: Jadis Eurythmie. Love the carnivorous flower look, never heard them.
I love the sound of a panel but I like the look of a small 6" x 3 way speaker. I don't like my room overwhelmed by the stereo. I would rather it sneak up and surprise you.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Should I bite. We should have a flash pole. Wind Carlos up or not.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Should I bite. We should have a flash pole. Wind Carlos up or not.
It's always worth getting Carlos wound up. He not only has the extensive array of systems, he knows every detail of their pedigree and electronic provenances.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Understand where you are getting at. But really if I drop $200,000 on a pair of speakers, I would even wear a red underwear with a teddy if that what it takes to get the speakers to shine. :D

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The Wilson WAMMs at David and Sheryl Lee’s home. Lifelike.

A close second were the XVX Chronosonics at Paragon Sight & Sound.

The best monitors were the Borreson M1.

I am heading to Magico soon to hear the M9s.
where you mention monitor speakers when you have the opportunity to buy used intonation terzian. do it now, they work great with luxman amps (class a). they look small but cast a spell on you from the first note.
4581648929_0_g.jpg
The new version mk III here

Reactions: rpk

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I backed out of the property when they counter offered. It is nice, and we have been looking for years and only made 1 other offer in the past. But I think we can do better. My room will have to wait.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Ked, I wouldn't be so quick to condemn Elliot on his music knowledge. Have you heard his playlists? They're mighty impressive in SQ and breadth.
Where are the playlists?

Best speakers I’ve ever heard are the big Tidal Absolutas with all Tidal gear behind and a Horizon dac…. I am not a bigger=better dude, but these were epic not just in size. The sound was unbelievable….

Reactions: gleeds

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Understand where you are getting at. But really if I drop $200,000 on a pair of speakers, I would even wear a red underwear with a teddy if that what it takes to get the speakers to shine. :D
Do you have that to wear, Tango?? :oops:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Do you have that to wear, Tango?? :oops:
Fortunately my speakers work out pretty well in my room. But I think Howie may have a red teddy undie to go with his ferrari red tt.

rpk

Aug 30, 2020
Germany
where you mention monitor speakers when you have the opportunity to buy used intonation terzian. do it now, they work great with luxman amps (class a). they look small but cast a spell on you from the first note.
View attachment 97466
The new version mk III here
Good morning Stephan,
the newer Terzian III are small, but present incredibly (powerful and fine-drawing at the same time). The stands are a feast for the eyes, but difficult to photograph so you can understand their design.
Viele Grüße von Rainer IMG_0779.jpg

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hello Rainer,
nice setup the design from the speaker and stands has always been beautiful.
which amps do you use?
For years the Audioplan kontrapunkt IV and opera callas were the best monitor speakers I have heard. until i heard terzian with luxman c05/m05 the terzian makes the wonderful resolution of the kontrapunkt and the sensationally good bass of the Callas. she is the best of both worlds terrific. I wish you a lot of fun listening to the music.
Schönes Wochenende
Stephan

Last edited:
Reactions: rpk

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
rooms can just be 'there'.....untreated. or simply a lived in space. untreated. and it can work fine. satisfying.

what does satisfying mean? optimized? and how would you know that?

how great do you want it to sound? what level of information do you want? and......at what level of SPL's? is the scale and ease of the music limited? even a purpose designed room from the ground up can be tuned for better sound.....once it's a real speaker in this clean sheet of paper design. different drive technologies have different room interactions. so not one size fits all. for instance, my room is fine tuned to a high degree (according to my level of ability) for a tall box and dynamic cone speaker system. if i were to replace it with a different speaker system but with a similar driver compliment and size (dynamically capable) speaker, then likely my room tune would end up being close to relevant already. but if i went with large dipoles, or big horns, the best result might involve considerable changes. probably fine without any changes, but until you try how would you know?

OTOH some think messing with rooms is distasteful. not natural. ok. but not my experience. i had a smallish room and it had 'good bones'. a nice shape and feel to begin with. but when i did treat it i got big improvements. still that room was limited by it's size.
nude air guitar works best in my experience:p.....but hearts on the tighty whities also effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuck

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

As much as I believe in whatever tweak is necessary to get my speakers to shine, I think I would pass on Tang in red lingerie sauntering around the listening room.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
As much as I believe in whatever tweak is necessary to get my speakers to shine, I think I would pass on Tang in red lingerie sauntering around the listening room.

I would welcome it if that was all it took to get him to visit the US on a tour and to stop by here to say hello. Don’t know what my family would say. My kids told me not to meet people on the Internet.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
i really need to find the time to add more I probably have another 800 or so items that I could add.
I decided I have to add to my speaker list what's going on in my own room right now. Its just wonderful period

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing