What's Everyone Reading

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm half way through UNBROKEN by Laura Hillebrand who also wrote Seabiscuit

This is a story during World War ll and could be included in my thread elsewhere named "and just when you thought it couldn't get worse...." as the story goes in that direction with the hope for survival.

A very good read and definitely recommended.

As for watching The Hangover with your kids, I completely agree but the best IMHO to have watched with your kids for raunchy teen humor is "Superbad"

Wait until you get to the end of the book...tough to read with tears in your eyes!

Superbad is OK, but we like to roll with the classics like "Animal House" and "Tommy Boy"

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My nephew was in Tommy Boy. A definite classic. Interesting how the stars in both those movies are dead at an early age. A loss of 2 great actors both from SNL

I anticipate tears as you say because where they are now is hell and what they went through to get there........she tells a very good story.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I used to be a huge sci-fi fan as a teenager but went off it for years as it got boring (great ideas but wooden characters).
I've recently discovered that the 'modern' authors are excellent and I've returned to the genre.

I highly recommend 'Altered Carbon' by Richard K. Morgan.

That is the book that brought me back to the genre after a long absence
Somewhat similar :)
I started with M. Moorcock and other greats of that similar time and earlier (Edgar Rice Burroughs) when I was 12 and been following various science and also fantasy fiction since then.
I get the character part myself, one modern that stands out for the characters and with more realistic twists-consequences is Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin, just placed order for the latest in the series (has some negative public reviews as it seems most have forgotten this is running parallel to previous book and covers same time period so the plot does not change much but from a different angle-characters).
Another writer I am looking to buy more books by is Brandon Sanderson, as he has carried on the Wheel of Time superbly.

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Been on a bit of a philosophy binge. Just finished:

Marcus Aurelius "Meditations"

Hi Jazdoc, how was Marcus Aurelius Meditations?...i have read excerpts and admit to having been interested. Be curious to know your thoughts having read the whole. I have read works of Plato, Aristotle...prefer Plato but both admirable. Read translation of Sun Tzu as well.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I really enjoyed 'Meditations'. It's a small tome, but definitely not something you plow straight through. I keep it in my backpack and will pull it out and re-read random sections. While there are some short sections dealing with day to day bodily functions which are less than scintillating (but nothing as long as Montaigne), it is definitely thought provoking and stands the test of time. There truly is 'nothing new under the sun'. He must have been an amazing person!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim,

My favorite cultural experience of the last year was watching "The Hangover" with my kids. I think this explains some things ; -)

Well, I'm hoping your kids aren't very young, Doc. :)

Tim

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I really enjoyed 'Meditations'. It's a small tome, but definitely not something you plow straight through. I keep it in my backpack and will pull it out and re-read random sections. While there are some short sections dealing with day to day bodily functions which are less than scintillating (but nothing as long as Montaigne), it is definitely thought provoking and stands the test of time. There truly is 'nothing new under the sun'. He must have been an amazing person!
Thanks...may give that one a read.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Re-reading
The Detonators: The Secret Plot to Destroy America and an Epic Hunt for Justice by Chad Millman

Gave me a different perspective on why the treatment of German and Japanese Americans during WW2.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Recently finished "The Warmth of Other Suns" by Isabella Wilkerson. The author is a Pulitzer prize winning journalist and she has written a terrific book about the Great Migration of African-Americans. Extremely well written and really highlights a little talked about thread of American history.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Billionaire's Vinegar -- fascinating read about the high end fine wine market, the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold at auction and the mystery surrounding it. Along the way, trying to solve the mystery, the author delves into an array of interesting aspects of fine wine. Works on many levels. You can read it purely as a mystery novel and all of the wine education is simply a bonus.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I also really enjoyed Billionaire's Vinegar. I always thought someone would try to adapt for a movie.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Shakespeare!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Finished The Detonators reread. Highly recommended, especially if you have any interest in pre WW1 involvement of the US. Plus as I indicated above, it puts IMO a different perspective on how/why Japanese/German Americans were treated in WW2. Doesn't necessarily make that behavior right, just somewhat understandable. Essentially the book is in roughly 3 phases, German/German American sabotage planning along the US East Coast, the acts themselves and the detective work on tracking down the perpetrators, then taking Germany to court for reparation. Keeping in mind we were a neutral country, course our neutrality ensured that we would sell arms to anyone who could afford them, prior to our WW1 entry of course.

Next

Clarence Darrow: Attorney for the Damned

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Anyone for a Wagnerian epic? Just finished a five book (the Gap) series by Sci-Fi author Stephen R. Donaldson inspired by Richard Wagner's Ring cycle. "The Real Story", Forbidden Knowledge", A Dark And Hungry God Arises", "Chaos And Order" and "This Day All Gods Die".
Levon Helm's "This Wheel's On Fire" and Keith Richards' "Life".

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wait until you get to the end of the book...tough to read with tears in your eyes!

Superbad is OK, but we like to roll with the classics like "Animal House" and "Tommy Boy"

Jazdoc.....I forgot about your post and just now reading it. As you said the book ( Unbroken) is difficult to read without tears in your eyes and a lump in your throat. What an absolutely remarkable ending.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
When I finished the book I told my wife that "I'm never complaining again!" Didn't last long but it's the thought that counts ;)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Anyone for a Wagnerian epic? Just finished a five book (the Gap) series by Sci-Fi author Stephen R. Donaldson inspired by Richard Wagner's Ring cycle. "The Real Story", Forbidden Knowledge", A Dark And Hungry God Arises", "Chaos And Order" and "This Day All Gods Die".
Levon Helm's "This Wheel's On Fire" and Keith Richards' "Life".

Stephen Donaldson is definitely one of the classic great fantasy writers, remember studying the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant as a kid for reading oral exams with City and Guilds.

Another litary classic and with great characters is Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake.

Still, if talking of classic reading as mentioned one cannot beat Shakespeare, especially when focusing on the prose-verse and rythm structure he created, truly a bard.
There is definitely a lot to enjoy in Shakespeare beyond just the story and characters.

Cheers
Orb

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Genius by David Harris

Fascinating book about Bill Walsh, legendary and revolutionary Head Coach and GM of the SF 49ers.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
"1491" - by Charles Mann - the story of the indigenous people in the Americas before the Europeans. Look forward to reading his new book "1493"

Enjoyed most of Peter Mayle's books - especially "Hotel Pastis" and "A Good Year"

Taking four courses at the local SUNY (State of NY) college, so lots of topical reading

Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing