What's everyone's take on the recent microscopic investigation by Michael Fremer of stylus contamination by products like Onzow Zerodust ?

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
K3RMIT The Hifi flux fluid appears to be safe. When I was at Munich High-End Show, I spoke to the manufacturers. They assured me their fluid is safe and they said to me if it damaged my cartridge they would replace it, I have not had a problem using it so for me it's safe.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I'm being reliably warned to never use Magic Eraser. It can destroy a stylus tip on one solitary use.
Blu Tak and artist's paint brush is the advice.

Marc. Blu tak on a stylus is crazy. Just as bad as Onzow
Stick Blu Tak to paper for a few days and see what crap it leaves behind.

Reactions: tima and mulveling

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Marc. Blu tak on a stylus is crazy. Just as bad as Onzow
Stick Blu Tak to paper for a few days and see what crap it leaves behind.
Not a bad idea. Better to stick this stuff to say a piece of glass for a few days, then peal off.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
K3RMIT The Hifi flux fluid appears to be safe. When I was at Munich High-End Show, I spoke to the manufacturers. They assured me their fluid is safe and they said to me if it damaged my cartridge they would replace it, I have not had a problem using it so for me it's safe.
Link please

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
K3RMIT I would not call the HiFi Flux an ultrasonic cleaner as the range it works in is well within our hearing range, so just a sonic cleaner.

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Probably won't damage a diamond, but pulling ME across the stylus might cause it to loosen its attachment to the cantilever over time. That is a theory. However if you look at what ME is, it is very 'grabby'. I suggest dipping not dragging. From inspecting the stylus after dipping I can say yes it is really doing something, it is cleaning the stylus.

View attachment 87191
Sound Advice

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I use Magic Eraser and have for over 20 years. Two Lyra’s, a Linn, a Benz and a Hana. Never a problem. I use a soft bristle brush after to remove any left over fibres.
I don’t think anyone is saying that it doesn’t do a great job cleaning the stylus and cantilever. It does, probably better than anything else out there. The only argument against its use that I have heard is the risk of he stylus being removed from the cantilever. But now I’m hearing that this also happens with Onzow. It can probably happen with a brush as well. Or Blutac. I have also heard that using liquids can cause the cantilever to become detached as well.
The bottom line is cleaning your stylus/cantilever is risky business. These are incredibly fragile parts. Yet it must be done or performance takes a big hit. If your going to take the risk, you might as well get the result you are looking for. And nothing gets things cleaner than Magic Eraser. You have to be careful, but nothing works better.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I use Magic Eraser and have for over 20 years. Two Lyra’s, a Linn, a Benz and a Hana. Never a problem. I use a soft bristle brush after to remove any left over fibres.
I don’t think anyone is saying that it doesn’t do a great job cleaning the stylus and cantilever. It does, probably better than anything else out there. The only argument against its use that I have heard is the risk of he stylus being removed from the cantilever. But now I’m hearing that this also happens with Onzow. It can probably happen with a brush as well. Or Blutac. I have also heard that using liquids can cause the cantilever to become detached as well.
The bottom line is cleaning your stylus/cantilever is risky business. These are incredibly fragile parts. Yet it must be done or performance takes a big hit. If your going to take the risk, you might as well get the result you are looking for. And nothing gets things cleaner than Magic Eraser. You have to be careful, but nothing works better.
Out of curiosity, which method do you use with the Magic Eraser? I would think that using it for over 20 years with multiple cartridges.... you method must be as safe as any.

Best wishes,
Don

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Out of curiosity, which method do you use with the Magic Eraser? I would think that using it for over 20 years with multiple cartridges.... you method must be as safe as any.

Best wishes,
Don
Believe it or not, I use a small hand held piece and gently press it against the stylus and along the cantilever. Originally I used the drop method, but found that did not clean as well. Yes this is a bit riskier, but I have never had a problem. Examination with a magnifying glass reveals a very clean diamond. I do not have a microscope however.
I am not saying accidents can’t happen ( I broke the cantilever off my first Delos trying to put the “stylus guard“ on), but so far so good.
Dipping the stylus into goo or plastacene never seemed like a good idea to me, nor using those little sandpaper scrappers that come with most cartridge. So I tried ME and have stuck with it ever since.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Doug Deacon’s take on using Magic Eraser is a good read if you are considering using It.
high-endaudio.com/Magic.htm
I guess my method is even more aggressive than Doug’s better method. I use a small piece, handheld and gently clean around the stylus. After a couple of cleanings I just break off some of the used ME to provide a clean fresh surface for the next cleaning. Never bothered my Lyra’s despite Doug’s warnings.

Last edited:
Reactions: No Regrets

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Believe it or not, I use a small hand held piece and gently press it against the stylus and along the cantilever. Originally I used the drop method, but found that did not clean as well. Yes this is a bit riskier, but I have never had a problem. Examination with a magnifying glass reveals a very clean diamond. I do not have a microscope however.
I am not saying accidents can’t happen ( I broke the cantilever off my first Delos trying to put the “stylus guard“ on), but so far so good.
Dipping the stylus into goo or plastacene never seemed like a good idea to me, nor using those little sandpaper scrappers that come with most cartridge. So I tried ME and have stuck with it ever since.
Hello Mendel,

Thank you so much for your reply!

I've been using the Magic Eraser for many years... too many for me to try and count, lol.

I cut a small piece off and glue it to the end of a toothpick, then use it like a small stylus brush... gently swiping from back to front. I then follow up with and actual stylus brush.

I have done this with several cartridges for many, many years with no adverse affect and no accidents.

Whether or my method is advisable or not, it seems to have worked well for me all of these years.

Wishing you all a very safe and wonderful New Year :)
Don

P.S. I tried the link that you had in your post above and it didn't work for me. So I just googled Doug Deacon and Magic Eraser and I was able to find his report. I see that he also uses the toothpick method :) so that helps instill faith that I might be doing it alright.
Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Type cleaner for typewriters is a mixture of natural rubber to which dirt adheres very well. it can be shaped with your fingers, simply pull the type cleaner along the diamonds. the cleaning effect is very high, also suitable for cantilever and cartrigde housing.this piece lasts a lifetime, one-time purchase.;)

IMG20211230074648.jpg

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Type cleaner for typewriters is a mixture of natural rubber to which dirt adheres very well. it can be shaped with your fingers, simply pull the type cleaner along the diamonds. the cleaning effect is very high, also suitable for cantilever and cartrigde housing.this piece lasts a lifetime, one-time purchase.;)

View attachment 87240

This is verging on vintage audio. Not on US ebay.

A similar looking ?Läufer 8100 product is on A'zon. One guy used it to clean hot sauce from the speaker holes on his iphone. "I threw a video on Youtube and lo and behold - abrakadabra the loudspeaker no longer rattles and sounds crystal clear again. "

I don't have my trusty Adler anymore ... then again I don't have Volkswriter anymore either. :)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
This is verging on vintage audio. Not on US ebay.

A similar looking ?Läufer 8100 product is on A'zon. One guy used it to clean hot sauce from the speaker holes on his iphone. "I threw a video on Youtube and lo and behold - abrakadabra the loudspeaker no longer rattles and sounds crystal clear again. "

I don't have my trusty Adler anymore ... then again I don't have Volkswriter anymore either. :)
that's the same only serial designation,works perfect for me. for really solid dirt "last stylus cleaner"if you've played LP wet. i still have an olympia typewriter if all digital things fail.
Why hot sauce in a iphone?:rolleyes::D

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
What's everyone's take on the recent microscopic investigation by Michael Fremer of stylus contamination by products like Onzow Zerodust ?

View attachment 86990

It’s absolute garbage. First of all, it is not “Michael Fremer’s investigation”, he is reporting another investigation. That investigation is hardly scientific. First of all, not all inspected styli were cleaned with the Onzow. Some were cleaned with another type of cleaner altogether and others used a different brand of gel cleaner.
Second, we don’t know how the stylus looked before (some of them were pre-owned).
Third, the “gel like” material they claim to have found, monomers, is just a building block of vinyl record itself!

What is vinyl?
Vinyl is made from chlorine and ethylene, with various additives to impart flexibility, rigidity, fluidity, or thickness. Vinylinfo.org explains that the ethylene in vinyl is obtained by processing, or cracking, hydrocarbon-based raw materials (petroleum, natural gas or coal) into polymers. The chlorine half of the vinyl polymer is not derived from hydrocarbons and is readily available and inexpensive. Ethylene and chlorine combine to form ethylene dichloride, which is transformed into vinyl chloride monomer (VCM). The final polymerization step converts the monomer into vinyl polymer known as polyvinyl chloride (PVC), or simply “vinyl.” Chemical modifiers are then added to achieve the various properties desired in vinyl end-products.

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
I think Mikey is a bit of a wacko but then that's his forte' !

like others have stated, it starts with a clean Lp !!
I am not a “bit of a wacko” and this report was based on microscopic examination by highly competent people. The residue found on the examined styli has been identified and as soon as the people doing the research give me permission I will report it. If the best you can do in reaction to this useful information is call me “a bit of a wacko” perhaps you are better off just zipping it.

Reactions: matakana and Leekg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing