What's Spinning Tonight?

Thanks. I agree, it sounds sensational, highly detailed yet warm and natural with no trace at all of any hardness or harshness. Excellent performances as well.

Roll Call

Hank Mobley, Roll Call.

Hank+Mobley+-+Roll+Call+-+Front.jpg

Not spinning (off a solid state hard drive) Patricia Barber Monday Night Live at the Green Mill (FLAC 16/44.1), surpising good sound from an artist produced recording that takes me back to her recent live gig at the Blue Note.

Lots of great music tonight...all analog.
First up some wonderful Lyrita LP's....Unknown.jpeg and the well known and justifiably famous: images.jpeg..this LP is as HP says...REFERENCE QUALITY, IMHO.

and then on to this:Unknown-1.jpeg..I never get tired of listening to Private Investigations.

Lastly: Unknown-2.jpeg..on Direct to Disc...Gossamer is a great track, although some of the others are a bit...lacking:rolleyes:

Batik; The Old Man and the Sea

I just got this brand new 24/96 studio master wav download, (they also sell it as flac $5 cheaper for some reason!?)

Great atmospheric album, kind of of ECM but with better sound! I have the 2 albums pianist Wolfert Brederode made on the ECM label,they are good, but this one is even better.

Listen to the bass guitar intro on track 4 ''the Bird". It somehow brings Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon to mind, dont you think ?

http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/109-batik Wav

http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/110-batik-flac (flac)

Batik%20Hoes%20300%20shadow%20v2.png

"Devil's Trill"

51qJZR%2BRPNL._SX300_.jpg

The story behind "Devil's Trill" starts with a dream. Tartini allegedly told the French astronomer Jérôme Lalande that he dreamed that The Devil appeared to him and asked to be his servant. At the end of their lessons Tartini handed the devil his violin to test his skill—the devil immediately began to play with such virtuosity that Tartini felt his breath taken away. The complete story is told by Tartini himself in Lalande's Voyage d'un François en Italie (1765 - 66):

"One night, in the year 1713 I dreamed I had made a pact with the devil for my soul. Everything went as I wished: my new servant anticipated my every desire. Among other things, I gave him my violin to see if he could play. How great was my astonishment on hearing a sonata so wonderful and so beautiful, played with such great art and intelligence, as I had never even conceived in my boldest flights of fantasy. I felt enraptured, transported, enchanted: my breath failed me, and - I awoke. I immediately grasped my violin in order to retain, in part at least, the impression of my dream. In vain! The music which I at this time composed is indeed the best that I ever wrote, and I still call it the "Devil's Trill", but the difference between it and that which so moved me is so great that I would have destroyed my instrument and have said farewell to music forever if it had been possible for me to live without the enjoyment it affords me."

critic Michael G. Nastos wrote of the album: "A duet recording between pianist Bill Evans and guitarist Jim Hall is one that should retain high expectations to match melodic and harmonic intimacies with brilliant spontaneous musicianship. Where this recording delivers that supposition is in the details and intricacy with which Evans and Hall work, guided by simple framings of standard songs made into personal statements that include no small amounts of innovation... At only 32 and a half minutes, it's disappointing there are no bonus tracks and/or additional material for a CD-length reissue, but Intermodulation still remains a precious set of music from these two great modern jazz musicians
Bill+Evans+%26+Jim+Hall+-+Intermodulation+-+Front.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing