What's Spinning Tonight?

Lovely, just lovely music to listen to as I was preparing my CES pictures:

Jean Sibelius / Jaakko Kuusisto, Folke Gräsbeck ?– Complete Youth Production For Violin And Piano, Volume 1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qid=1453143870&ref_=sr_1_fkmr0_1&sr=8-1-fkmr0

61poNfe3KDL._SX425_.jpg

Hi Started early this morning woke up around 4..

Right now listening to this
The MOFI CD special Edition on Ultra Disc
View attachment 25117

A Classic ... Simply .. Music for the Ages .. Contender for one of the 10 greatest Music Album of the last century... All and any music genres
This has been in my personal Top 10 since it's release! I also have that MFSL, but on vinyl.

Last night I was enjoying this: th.jpeg and then on Blue Note: th-1.jpeg---Both on LP.

I was not pleased with the bass response I was getting and something was wrong....but I couldn't put my finger on it...
So, today I revisited all of my hook-ups to the sub and the amp(s). Duh, I had wired the sub in to the amp with all connections attached to the negative terminals...therefore the sub was out of phase!
Some times the smallest things can be so easily overlooked! Luckily, an easy fix.

John, if you like that pressing, I would suggest seeing if you can source the original UK pressing...I believe it is on the UK Charisma label. Pretty great sound.
BTW, how does the Crime of the Century in your pic compare to the MFSL version?

My Canadian copy is actually quite good so I'm in no hurry, but hey...if a better pressing can be found I'm all ears as I love this LP. I'll do some research for sure.

I don't own the MFSL version but have heard it several times, and I think the SC trumps it. So much so that I gave up looking for the MFSL. It digs really deep without sounding a little boosted at the lower extremes and brings out every nuance without sounding tipped up.

My Canadian copy is actually quite good so I'm in no hurry, but hey...if a better pressing can be found I'm all ears as I love this LP. I'll do some research for sure.

I don't own the MFSL version but have heard it several times, and I think the SC trumps it. So much so that I gave up looking for the MFSL. It digs really deep without sounding a little boosted at the lower extremes and brings out every nuance without sounding tipped up.

The MFSL version of Crime is pretty good, although i have no idea as how it compares to the Speakers Corner reissue. Do try an listen to the UK original of Genesis Trick...it's very impressive and IMO better than all of the other pressings I have heard...by a country mile.
I will be on the look out for the SC Crime. BTW, i just picked up a UK original of Phil Collins "Face Value"..should be interesting to see how this one sounds.

Ok .. Please no joke:b .. I just don't care if you do anyway :D

I like this album and have been listeing to it since it came out in 2006, from time to time ... Nothing to write home .. I just like it OK :mad:

:D :D

index.jpg

Then it will be a very, very good Album. Well worth the wait. It gets better the more you listen to it... Recording could have been better.... The top end lacks openness but ... Man a beautiful album for all RnB fans.

index2.jpg

Then it will be a very, very good Album. Well worth the wait. It gets better the more you listen to it... Recording could have been better.... The top end lacks openness but ... Man a beautiful album for all RnB fans.

View attachment 25172

Hey Frantz,

Man, this is such a good album. Revisiting it now after you posted this.

I personally love the sound of this. To me, this album is the answer to the question "What does tracking to tape and mixing off the console sound like?" and a total antidote to the quantized ProTooled plug-in fest most things are today. But hey, that's me. Musicianship on this is mindblowing, so I wouldn't have cared if it had been tracked to DAT.

Hey Frantz,

Man, this is such a good album. Revisiting it now after you posted this.

I personally love the sound of this. To me, this album is the answer to the question "What does tracking to tape and mixing off the console sound like?" and a total antidote to the quantized ProTooled plug-in fest most things are today. But hey, that's me. Musicianship on this is mindblowing, so I wouldn't have cared if it had been tracked to DAT.

Time to revisit this album. It seems to me the highs are too subdued but you have a point about the recording not being over-processed. D'Enagelo is not a mchine gun type artist. Rather he is a sniper. He takes his time , in that case a very long time, between albums: 5 Years between the first and the second and 14 years (!) between the second and the third!! As I said before, well worth the wait. This is an incredible album. One for the ages.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing