What's Spinning Tonight?

Reactions: jeff1225
I really don't mind that you are well on your way to posting the entire catalog of every album cover ever recorded. But it would really be nice if you said something about what you liked about a particular album. Most of us on the forum want to learn stuff. So teach me! Tell me something about the album that makes me want to listen to it. There are so many albums and so little time!

Reactions: Daverich4
I really don't mind that you are well on your way to posting the entire catalog of every album cover ever recorded. But it would really be nice if you said something about what you liked about a particular album. Most of us on the forum want to learn stuff. So teach me! Tell me something about the album that makes me want to listen to it. There are so many albums and so little time!

Yeah, about that... Pretty much no one on here does that, me included.

...it would really be nice if you said something about what you liked about a particular album. Most of us on the forum want to learn stuff. So teach me! Tell me something about the album that makes me want to listen to it. There are so many albums and so little time!

This is a highly regarded example of Japanese City Pop. Album in question is very fresh youthful music quite far removed from the depths of understanding found in later life. Call it treading over them on the surface on a beautiful evening. Understanding of why half the lyrics and song titles are in American English is as critical to appreciating the buoyancy, depiction of achievable perfection, as being encapsulated in the sea of emotions placing it above that which it references. Very polite and positively infused with life.

Uptick in popularity of 70's through especially early to mid 80's Japanese Pop/Rock saw this 1986 album re-released on both popular physical formats (+streaming) earlier this year for the US & European markets. I have the Japanese made 1994 VAP disc (DR15) and cannot comment on current Western releases.:rolleyes:/:D/:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: marty

99% of the albums I post I listen to because I like the music, not for some kind of "audiophile" reasons. So to post an album and just say "I like the music" isn't going to be very helpful to anyone.

Just been listening to Massive Attack – No Protection

I have owned this album pretty much since it came out in 1995, I have never enjoyed it and I’ve only played it maybe 3 times in 25 years. I kept digging it out to see if at some point it would click and I get into it, never happened.

I have been doing some upgrades to my turntable lately, i.e. New motor a Dereneville DAE-01 CL, Farad Super3 power supply, Acoustical Systems Arché headshell.

Every record I now play sounds so much better and I hear more into the record, I feel like I am re-discovering my records.

So anyway I thought I’ll give this Massive Attack remix by Mad Professor another go. Well it does sound better, but it’s still Cr4p. I think you have to be on drugs to like this album, but if I was on drugs I recon I would still not enjoy this album.

I really don’t know why Massive Attack handed this excellent album to Mad Professor to remix, he has no clue. They could have used someone like King Tubby and still got the dub sound but at least it would have been listenable.

The only consolation here is I also have the original album which is just a pleasure to listen to. I immediately dug out Protection and gave it a spin to put the smile back on my face.

Massive Attack Vs Mad Professor.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Derainer
Just a correction to my original post #6429 before someone else notices, they couldn’t have ask King Tubby to remix Protection. Protection came out in 1994 and the remix came out in 1995.
King Tubby died in 1989 aged 48.

A good album. Decent music and sounds pretty good too! Lots of dynamics and spaciousness.

Now you're getting the hang of it, buddy! Even simple sentence is helpful! Honestly, I wish everyone would do that just so I can get a sense if it something that I should grab my attention and take for a spin (or stream). This actually happens a lot more in the classical music section, but it is genuinely appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: heihei
??? (Park Hye Jin)

If U Want It

South Korean techno with an international flair. A second album withholding the delicate structure here arrived a year ((and a half) to an even more sheltered response)) later on boutique label with certainty.

Above musical interest, I greatly enjoy her placing Korean spelling of her name foremost on billing. Vocals easily lapse into or out of English.

Reactions: XV-1
The Smashing Pumpkins ?– Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness - original 3LP 1996 pressing. One of my fav albums of all time is 25 years old, although the vinyl did not come out till April 1996 - doesn't really seem that long ago. This pressing was really hard to get (worth a small fortune now) and I found a copy of all places @ Groovy Records in Auckland. I really prefer the 3LP song order - just makes so much more sense.

Reactions: Direct Drive
Carlos Gardel (1917-1935) died in a plane crash leaving future generations only a few movies and records of the "King of Tango." This modern recording is sung by Francisco "Paco" Medina, an excellent singer in his own right. Accompaniment is both orchestral and traditional. Mirroring the original performances on film and in concert.

1026201530.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing