Attachments

• PXL_20240916_035555306.jpg
    PXL_20240916_035555306.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240916_035614063.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240916_035614063.MP.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Audiofreak71
I’m listening now to one of the greatest symphonies written in the last 70 years that could justifiably be compared with the greatest works by Beethoven and Brahms, although neither of these geniuses plumbed the depths of despair that this work manages to do. I’m speaking of Henryk Gorecki’s Symphony No 3 aptly subtitled “Sorrowful Songs”.

Nothing in human existence compares to the grief a parent faces upon the loss of a child, as I witnessed personally when my brother died of a tragic accident at a young age and I saw the absolute devastation it brought to my parents. My mother never recovered from that tragedy. Gorecki weaves this theme through the various movements set to haunting music like we have never heard before.

The opening slow movement set first on double basses creeps in so slowly that you only hear the movement of air first. The most heart rending movement here is one based on a poem scribbled on a wall by a young Polish girl held prisoner in one of the Gestapo’s torture chambers during World War II. She cries out to her mother not to mourn for her. Her words were discovered after the war. Another mournful song is based on a mother searching for her son on the battlefields. One is reminded of the horrors of the war in Ukraine.

Dawn Upshaw and the London Symphony give a spellbinding performance that is so powerful that this album made the pop charts as well, selling over a million albums. Gorecki who was immune to the allure of money apparently never cashed in his rather large monetary payment of royalties. He just kept it in his wallet. The record company sent him a second check when the first one expired. I don’t know if he cashed that one. This is music for the soul. It moves me so deeply that I can listen to it only once a year. We may never see the likes of such music again or such a composer for whom money meant nothing.

IMG_6521.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m listening now to one of the greatest symphonies written in the last 70 years that could justifiably be compared with the greatest works by Beethoven and Brahms, although neither of these geniuses plumbed the depths of despair that this work manages to do. I’m speaking of Henryk Gorecki’s Symphony No 3 aptly subtitled “Sorrowful Songs”.

Nothing in human existence compares to the grief a parent faces upon the loss of a child, as I witnessed personally when my brother died of a tragic accident at a young age and I saw the absolute devastation it brought to my parents. My mother never recovered from that tragedy. Gorecki weaves this theme through the various movements set to haunting music like we have never heard before.

The opening slow movement set first on double basses creeps in so slowly that you only hear the movement of air first. The most heart rending movement here is one based on a poem scribbled on a wall by a young Polish girl held prisoner in one of the Gestapo’s torture chambers during World War II. She cries out to her mother not to mourn for her. Her words were discovered after the war. Another mournful song is based on a mother searching for her son on the battlefields. One is reminded of the horrors of the war in Ukraine.

Dawn Upshaw and the London Symphony give a spellbinding performance that is so powerful that this album made the pop charts as well, selling over a million albums. Gorecki who was immune to the allure of money apparently never cashed in his rather large monetary payment of royalties. He just kept it in his wallet. The record company sent him a second check when the first one expired. I don’t know if he cashed that one. This is music for the soul. It moves me so deeply that I can listen to it only once a year. We may never see the likes of such music again or such a composer for whom money meant nothing.

View attachment 136480
Wow - what A story!!!
Thank you @godofwealth for sharing ;)! Very sorry to hear about your brother. I will try get this album based up on your amazing description, thank you.

/ Jk

Last edited:
Reactions: P-pan and Mike
@godofwealth :

Have to say I've never heard of Henryk Górecki before.
How I could have missed this piece of music is almost tragic.
A stunningly beautiful, if sad, piece of music.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for making me find his music.

Reactions: Johan K
Ultravox – Quartet - 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, 180gm Half-Speed Master By ALCHEMY at AIR + Bonus Vinyl of Single Edits and B-Sides.
They have done a great job on this vinyl master, considering the Rage In Eden was disappointing. Really brings out Sir George Martin's superb production.

20240915_213019.thumb.jpg.5ea9dd2dac2eac4b3cf70e65c09a982f.jpg

IMG_1346.jpeg

25 years ago, in May of 1999, SONY introduced the SONY SCD-1, the worlds first SACD player. In September the same year, the format SACD was introduced by SONY and Philips, the same companys that introduced the Compact Disc, which was officially released in October 1982.

IMG_1348.jpeg

In 2001, Groove Note Records produced and manufactured this demonstration disc, with various artists, on the behalf of SONY, to demonstrate the SACD’s full potential. This is one of the very first SACD demonstration disc’s ever made, and the sound is just astonishing ☝ :D - Behold!!!

/ Jk

IMG_1349.jpeg

View attachment 136553

25 years ago, in May of 1999, SONY introduced the SONY SCD-1, the worlds first SACD player. In September the same year, the format SACD was introduced by SONY and Philips, the same companys that introduced the Compact Disc, which was officially released in October 1982.

View attachment 136554

In 2001, Groove Note Records produced and manufactured this demonstration disc, with various artists, on the behalf of SONY, to demonstrate the SACD’s full potential. This is one of the very first SACD demonstration disc’s ever made, and the sound is just astonishing ☝ :D - Behold!!!

/ Jk

View attachment 136555
Might be time for a upgrade regarding your SCD 1 in order to take advantage of newer technology.
Your player does look brand new though. :)

Might be time for a upgrade regarding your SCD 1 in order to take advantage of newer technology.
Johan needs only a nice tube dac:p, as transport is this thing masterclass. the only disadvantage is the long reading times due to the recognition whether it is a cd or sacd. the digital output delivers an excellent signal only cd.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Johan K and A-Line
Johan needs only a nice tube dac:p, as transport is this thing masterclass. the only disadvantage is the long reading times due to the recognition whether it is a cd or sacd. the digital output delivers an excellent signal only cd.
Okay. I like tubes with digital also.
I've no idea what might be a appropriate tube DAC to match with his SCD 1 though...

No tubes for me.. LOL..!! I’m all solid state.. !!
Your right Stephan.. the sound from the SCD-1 is exceptionally good. No stress when loading, I got all the time in the world to load a disc in this player. It’s old in age, but very good in shape.. so for me it’s a keeper ;) .

/ Jk

Hi A-Line,

A new player would be nice, but I really like the sound of the SCD-1, so for me it’s a keeper. It interacts very good with the rest of the system, which is a more important factor than being super top notch on it’s own. Yes, old in age, but in very good shape.

/ Jk

Reactions: A-Line
No tubes for me.. LOL..!! I’m all solid state.. !!
Your right Stephan.. the sound from the SCD-1 is exceptionally good. No stress when loading, I got all the time in the world to load a disc in this player. It’s old in age, but very good in shape.. so for me it’s a keeper ;) .

/ Jk
One question Johan , whats your favorite sacd mode standard or custom.?
I had the sony here runs cd mode much better with dac close to sacd . Solid state le dac metronome sounds amazing with it.metronome-le-dac-d-a-wandler-16.jpg

Back to music
Massive Attack-Blue Lines20240919_105734.jpg

One question Johan , whats your favorite sacd mode standard or custom.?
I had the sony here runs cd mode much better with dac close to sacd . Solid state le dac metronome sounds amazing with it.View attachment 136579

Back to music
Massive Attack-Blue LinesView attachment 136580
Hi Stephan,

I use two outputs from my SCD-1. One analog, single ended, and one 75 ohms coaxial digital into my Krell Evolution 707 preamp / processor. When playing SACD, I use the DAC’s in the SCD-1, which is the standard mode. When I play CD’s, I can choose to either have the SCD-1 doing the work via the single ended output, or… use as high quality transport, and let the Krell Evo 707 do the D/A conversion, via the 75 ohm coax output, which sounds REALLY REALLY good, either in 2-channel mode or in simulated 7.4 surround sound…. What ever I choose, is awesome… Everything depends on what kind of music I’m playing and how it feels… but definitely very good sounding whatever I choose.

/ Jk

Reactions: DasguteOhr
Hi A-Line,

A new player would be nice, but I really like the sound of the SCD-1, so for me it’s a keeper. It interacts very good with the rest of the system, which is a more important factor than being super top notch on it’s own. Yes, old in age, but in very good shape.

/ Jk
No worries. The only concern might be replacement parts such as a new tracking laser.
I'm on my 3rd CD player right now and I will not buy another. However my reasons for upgrading was a significant improvement in sound but also concerns that replacement parts may not be available should it break. My last CD/SACD player was 14 years old.

So I totally understand you wanting to keep your player because the sound is right. Your player looks brand new too. :)

• Love
No worries. The only concern might be replacement parts such as a new tracking laser.
I'm on my 3rd CD player right now and I will not buy another. However my reasons for upgrading was a significant improvement in sound but also concerns that replacement parts may not be available should it break. My last CD/SACD player was 14 years old.

So I totally understand you wanting to keep your player because the sound is right. Your player looks brand new too. :)
Thank you :) !

Reactions: A-Line

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu